PDA

View Full Version : Which way?

GeoAC
24th May 2007, 20:27
My 16 year old is intent on joining up as Air Crew ,either Pilot or Nav (he`s off to Macrihanish soon on a Nav. taster with the A.T.C.) . I am in a quandry! Do I put him through his PPL , or try for a Bursary? Whichever route the options take him,I just want the best for him. Am open to professional advice!

PAJ
25th May 2007, 00:53
I am by no means an expert on the military side of things but it is a very good starting point for anyone wanting to enter into the industry as a pilot. You mention they want to be either a pilot or navigator? If this is the case, then the ATC are definitely the way forward (also looked upon very favourably by airlines and flight training organisations).
As for the PPL, it is by no means a pre-requisite but it will give a very good idea of what flying is actually like and what kind of study is required. I would strongly suggest that he/she (you did not sepcify!) apply for every bursury/ sponsorship they can! Gliding is also a very good way to start flying and considerably cheaper - also teaches a pilot how to use their damn rudder properly from the outset!! Try the Guild of Air Pilots and Navigators for starters. I think this year's bursaries have already happened but they do offer some fantastic opportunities. The Royal Aeronautical Society are a wealth of information as are BALPA (British Airline Pilots Association). If none of the bursaries are available, then I would consier forking out for the PPL. It is very expensive (as I am sure your research has shown) but if that is what he/she wants to do for sure, then it might be a decent investment. At 16 though, there is no huge rush. University is a great opportunity for young people to join the University Air Squadron and get free flying time (up to 20 hrs a year I believe) and a degree can be an invaluable Plan B if an issue arises later that prohibits a career in the air.
I hope some of that was useful.

Wader2
25th May 2007, 09:08
GeoAC, do trawl through the sticky at the top of Pprune. It will key you into many other Q & As including 6th form scholarships etc.

teeteringhead
25th May 2007, 11:42
PPL probably not the best idea for a potential service pilot. Military flying is very different and the not inconsiderable expense might be better spent.

ATC can provide much for him - including flying at little or no cost to you. And instructing ab initios can be easier when you have a blank sheet of paper, rather than having to "unlearn" civilian practices and procedures.

Away from flying, ATC can do lots for personal development as I suppose we call it now - Air Cadets are the biggest particpant in the Duke of E's Awards in UK for example, and Gold D of E is one of the best things to have on any CV!

airborne_artist
25th May 2007, 12:37
A PPL is a total waste of time and effort for potential mil aircrew. I got one via the RAF Flying Scholarship scheme, and it made no difference when I joined the FAA.

Gliding (free with the ATC) makes lots of sense, but don't burn £1,000s on a PPL.