PDA

View Full Version : IR

Smike
24th May 2007, 18:26
HEy folks,

A quick one!I was wondering how long usually takes to go through the IR course...?

Cheers!

madman1145
24th May 2007, 20:02
4-6 weeks ..

- madman

helicopter-redeye
24th May 2007, 20:43
3 1/2 (18 days + test)

h-r

Whirlygig
24th May 2007, 20:52
Won't that depend on the weather? :}

Cheers

Whirls

helicopter-redeye
24th May 2007, 20:57
Do you mean '..won't that depend on icing conditions..'? :}:}

The weather is always good in Denmark

Smike
24th May 2007, 22:57
Thx everyone!...dunno why i thought it would take a lot longer.

All the best,
Smike

helimutt
25th May 2007, 08:17
It will take about 6 weeks at 'most' places. Sim and a/c availability are usually the issue, add to that the schools are all pretty busy right now, it may take you over 6 months to even get on a course.
H-R went to Denmark and can probably tell you more about that but mine took me about 6 weeks in UK.

Hover Bovver
25th May 2007, 09:20
Are you refering to the flying part of the course only? or are you including study and exam time?

GoodGrief
25th May 2007, 11:34
Still none of the big operators sponsoring/bonding these days ?

helimutt
25th May 2007, 12:02
The big companies did recently sponsor people and pay for the IR's but not everyone, and they seem to have stopped as there a fair few guys paying for their own again.

Smike
25th May 2007, 12:25
Hey Hover,

I meant all of it...theory and flight.

Of course i´d love a company/airline to sponsor it but i dont think it will happen...when i have my CPL(H)(i have yet to start) i´ll have just 150h...MAYBE i´m lucky and i get some summer fire work but...i´ll be most likely paying for the IR thingy...fsss...;o)

Cheers

HELOFAN
25th May 2007, 12:44
Here in the US , its 3 weeks of ground ( where I am ) then fly.
It take saround 6-9 weeks I understand of flying & ground with the instructor & then there as whirls says...The Weather !!

Add the X factor on & there you go.

HF

Bravo73
25th May 2007, 12:44
i´ll have just 150h...MAYBE i´m lucky and i get some summer fire work but...i´ll be most likely paying for the IR thingy

It's been said before, and it'll be said again: (Courtesy of Camp Freddie)

Option A, CPL(H) only, high risk, chance of employment poor or nil
Option B, CPL(H) + FI rating, higher cost, low risk, lower returns
Option C, CPL(H) + IR, higher cost, high risk, higher returns

FYI, you won't get 'summer fire work' with 150hrs. Unless you plan to work as groundcrew that is...

Smike
25th May 2007, 12:53
Bravo, loud & clear sir. Bout firework, well a couple of pilots told me they did here but, again, i´m nu to all this and i know it will be hard(near to impossible) to go anywhere with that short experience.

Thx for the input..;o)

Smike
25th May 2007, 17:48
Bravo´s reply lead me thinking about how did everyone do their hour building and when did you get ur first job...? I would love to hear about ur experiences etc...;o)

Best wishes,
Smike

Smike
26th May 2007, 22:23
Hi again,

Doing some reading here, i have yet another quetion...hehe

What does it mean being a "low time guy"? At first i thought it was coz of having few hours but, the guys had like 2000h or 3000h...is it low at all?

Thx

Whirlygig
26th May 2007, 22:29
I've taken "low-time" to be anything less than 1,000 therefore, 2-3,000 is not low unless you're a 10,000 hour pilot. They were probably sarcastic posts!

Cheers

Whirls

Smike
26th May 2007, 23:30
Aight...;o)

I guess that i´ll be a low time for a long time,huh?!?!...pffff.

So anyone cares to share how did u do ur hour building once u got ur first 150-200h with CPL(h)?

I know FI is the most common but, here in Spain schools ask for 300h min with 100 being 1st officer(dunno if its the right word sorry...still a noob) So i´m thinking how i´d get the hours left to be able to go thru the FI course...

Tc,
Smike

madman1145
27th May 2007, 08:26
I don't like to call it hour building, when it involves increasing ones hours via a proffesional pilotjob ..
For me hour building is something you do like between PPL and CPL, flying on your own. It's a "just need to increase the hours, don't really care how" way ..

I hate to have an instructor who is just there for "hour building", instead of being a proffesionel instructor, who is really involved and present, focused, not caring if he/she got 3 or 4 hours logged today, not just being in that other seat for the hours. But instead was truely proffesionel ..
I don't know, maybe its potatos and potatos for some. I just see a difference in attitude and seen both types of instructors ..

Anyway: 300 hours and 100 PIC is JAA requirements for becoming an instructor. JAR-FCL 2.335 section (a) ..
Those I know of has paid for the hours, hour building to achieve the 300 / 100 hour figures ..

- madman

Whirlygig
27th May 2007, 09:32
The 300 hour requirement to commence an Instructor Rating has now been reduced to 250 for JAA.

Cheers

Whirls

Smike
27th May 2007, 13:04
Aha, i see. So after IR(25h???) i´ll have to pay for those hour left to reach 250h(althought i was told 300h) for FI....75h more or less x 300€/h = 22500€..ouch!

Cheers

Whirlygig
27th May 2007, 13:13
Smike,

As it appears that you want to take the modular route to getting your commercial licence, may I suggest one step at a time? Whilst it is a good idea to have a long term goal, by the time you have reached each stage, the rules and job market could easily change as could your ambitions.

So, get your PPL, hour build to CPL whilst studying for professional exams and then take a view on what you want to do next. As you go through your PPL, you wil learn about the requirements, law and get a feel for the job market. It is unlikely (although not unheard of), that you would be able to get an IR before an Instructor Rating; most people do it the other way round.

If you want a CPL(H)/FI(H)(R)/IR(H), then you will be looking at paying the thick end of £110,00 to £120,000 - that's pounds Sterling by the way in UK prices!

Cheers

Whirls

madman1145
27th May 2007, 13:19
Ohh - didn't see you don't have any certificates ..
Allright, agree with Whirlygig. First of all, learn and focus how to crawl (PPL), before thinking about running (IR). In between there is the how-to-walk session (CPL) ..

Who knows how the business is next month, not to say the least in 2 years :hmm: ..

- madman

Smike
27th May 2007, 14:42
Whirly, i hear ya..;o)

I´ll go for CPL(H) for sure.

At first, i was gonna go thru an integrated ATPL that included.. CPL(H)+IR+MCC+ATPL theory+ R22 & Ecureuil AS355 TR´s for 90.000€ but some people(pilots & ex-students) recommended me another one that its the one i´ll be most likely attending. They are just doing CPL(H)(r22 & Ec AS350 TR´S) 50.000€ at the mom so i would have to go to the other one for IR ,as its the only school here with a "biturbine" or is it called twin engine?

I might wait a bit for IR as u suggest and see if anything happens with just CPL, will depend on how healthy my finances are when finishing CPL too,as i have to move to another city=more costs. I know that going for IR straight away is way risky but, its the advice i´ve got from every pilot i spoke with...i just had the chance to talk directly with 4 pilots though.

WHatever i do, i´ll need to work 100-150h out to reach 300h minimum for FI. An hour building package of that size is way mad..like 30.000€-45.000€ so not really an option right now.

So as Whirly said CPL(h)50.000+IR 35000€+ 100h(or more)30.000€+FI 11.000€..thats 126.000€

Will go for CPL(h) an move from there, thx for the tips and patience!

Tc,
Smike