PDA

View Full Version : First type rating - IR just expired?

0-8
24th May 2007, 13:14
I am due to start my first type rating on the 31st of July but my IR expires 3 days before.

According to LASORS:

An applicant for the first type rating course for a MPA shall provide evidence that the following requirements have been met:-

b. hold a current and valid multi-engine Instrument.

Is there any way around this? It seems so pointless to spend time and money renewing a rating that I have no intention of ever using. Especially considering that a few weeks later I will be doing another skills test for the type rating.

What are the chances of the CAA granting an exemption? After all, this rule only applies to the first type rating course and I am not asking for an extension of IR privileges, all I want is to meet the requirements to start the course.

Any suggestions?

LKMflyboy
24th May 2007, 13:49
I was in a similar situation to yourself. I checked with the CAA and the airline I was doing the TR with and they both confirmed that I had to be current - no exceptions made!

TyroPicard
24th May 2007, 14:23
If you have been allocated a course are you still an "applicant"?
Or does the rule apply when you "apply"......
Why not save time and ask the CAA
TP

2engop
24th May 2007, 16:33
Had to renew mine before I did the TR, complete waste!

0-8
29th May 2007, 14:59
Thanks for the replies.

Bugger.:(

despegue
29th May 2007, 20:41
Is this a UK or a EASA requirement, because was under the impression that the IR needs to be Valid but is not required to be current under JAA legislation...

jasperyellow
31st May 2007, 22:06
On a similar note am I required to hold a valid MECR for a typerating, I have a ME IR but my MECR has just expired. Does that mean my ME IR reverts to a SE IR?

Permafrost_ATPL
1st Jun 2007, 15:29
In a similar note am I required to hold a valid MECR for a typerating,
You're holding an Multi-Engine PISTON (MEP) commercial class rating, not a a multi-engine class rating. So your MEP Commercial class rating expiring just means you can't fly multi-piston aircraft for cash.
Does that mean my ME IR reverts to a SE IR?
No. From LASORS:

SPA IR privileges are not type or class specific -
the holder of more than one SPA type or class
rating is required to re-validate the IR on only one
SPA type or class (usually the most complex
one). However, the holder of a ME IR must
revalidate on a ME class or type. An IR SPA ME
will confer SPA SE IR privileges whereas an IR
SPA SE does not confer SPA ME IR privileges.

The key here is "IR privileges are not type or class specific". So a multi won't "downgrade" to a single IR in any circumstance.
If you need to renew you multi IR, it's probably cheaper in an FNPT2. But if you want to renew your commercial MEP, you need to do it in an aircraft (obviously you can do both at the same time if you wish)
P

OBK!
1st Jun 2007, 15:59
Did an airbus rating without current IR.

Permafrost_ATPL
1st Jun 2007, 16:16
Was it your first ever MPA rating?

P

LKMflyboy
1st Jun 2007, 16:19
OBK! - yep, you can do the rating without being current and if nobody checks your book - and they probably won't - then it really doesn't matter. However, do you really want to take the chance of turning up at the CAA for rating issue and being told they won't issue the TR because you weren't current at the time! :{

silverknapper
1st Jun 2007, 17:16
When I turned up for my first day the first thing they did was photocopy and check:
MCC certificate
Licence pages
Last page of logbook

Just renew it, it's only a few hundred quid compared to being sent home on your first day. And it is the law.

danishdynamite
1st Jun 2007, 21:04
A guy that I know did a TR with only a valid SE IR and a MCC.
He had never flown a two engine aircraft in real life before doing a B737 rating. Only the MCC, which was done on a B737 sim.

OBK!
2nd Jun 2007, 19:04
The CAA says that you need a valid IR at the time of application...you'll do a MPA IR in the sim when your do your type rating. I was told I didn't need a valid multi engine IR by my company and CAA, but to have held one in the past 5 years...whether the rules have changed I'm not sure, but this was Feb 2006.

Megaton
3rd Jun 2007, 15:18
I was same as OBK!. First MPA IR with valid but not (quite) current MEP-IR.