PDA

View Full Version : JAA CHPL to ATPL

prototype
24th May 2007, 12:34
If one holds a JAA CHPL (no IR) and would like to get a JAA ATPL will there be any theory credit given? Or does one still have to sit all 13 exams?

How about a JAA CHPL + IR?

Thanks!

Helipilot1982
24th May 2007, 13:54
Wishful thinking but NO is the answer!!!

Its those awful exams again - good luck!!!:ok:

ThomasTheTankEngine
24th May 2007, 15:54
If you never obtained a JAA IR within 36 months after passing all the ATPL exams then you will have to do some theory exams again, however it's not all 13 exams.

If the UK issued you JAA CPL(H) at present you will need to sit the 7 IR exams, once you gain a JAA IR you would have an ATPL(H) theory credit.

This may change in the future at present the UK CAA are still using amendment 3 of JAR FCL 2, when or in deed if the UK CAA choose to implement amendment 4 of JAR FCL 2 you would then have to sit 5 exams at ATPL level.

You can down load a copy of JAR FCL 2 from the JAA website and you can down load a copy of lasors from the UK CAA website.

Get the CAA to confirm this is writing before you start any exams.

Stringfellow Dork
25th May 2007, 08:06
According to Lasors 2007:

The holder of a JAR-FLC CPL(H) and IR(H) satisfies the knowledge requirements for the issue of an ATPL(H).

So I would say if you've got a JAR CPL(H) just the 7 IR exams need to be taken not the entire set of 13 ATPL(H) exams. Remember though that you need other things to get that ATPL(H) license with your name on including obviously getting your IR(H) Rating, completing an Approved Multi-Crew Co-operation Course (if doing it this way) and meeting the flying experience requirements (check Lasors). Then taking an ATPLH test!
Caveat: I do not speak from experience; the above is just my interpretation of reading Lasors so don't take it as gospel. I am happy to stand corrected.

Bravo73
25th May 2007, 08:13
The holder of a JAR-FLC CPL(H) and IR(H) satisfies the knowledge requirements for the issue of an ATPL(H).

That is how it currently stands, Stringfellow. However, like Thomas said, this is due to change when the new amendment to JAR-FCL2 comes into force. CPL+IR theory will no longer be equivalent to ATPL theory.

FWIW, there are items in the ATPL syllabus which aren't covered in the CPL/IR syllabus. I know this from personal experience. :uhoh:

Stringfellow Dork
25th May 2007, 08:48
Bravo - Cheers for that clarification.

Is there any date for the implementation of this amendment to JAR-FCL2?

What will the theory requirements for a CPL(H) holder to "upgrade" to an ATPL(H) become once it does come into force?

And if you pass the 7 IR exams and then - before getting your IR rating - it is implemented, are you given grandfather rights for ATPL theory credit, I wonder?

:confused:

Just when I thought I'd got a hang of it all...

Bravo73
25th May 2007, 12:40
Is there any date for the implementation of this amendment to JAR-FCL2?

You're into a 'how long is a piece of string' scenario, I'm afraid. The wheels are in motion, so to speak, but nobody knows when it's going to happen for definite. At a guess, within 12-18 months. But don't quote me on that!

What will the theory requirements for a CPL(H) holder to "upgrade" to an ATPL(H) become once it does come into force?

According to Thomas' post above, "you would then have to sit 5 exams at ATPL level". Otherwise, Section A.10 of LASORS might have the answer. That's as much as I know, I'm afraid.

And if you pass the 7 IR exams and then - before getting your IR rating - it is implemented, are you given grandfather rights for ATPL theory credit, I wonder?

They are normally quite reasonable about this so I would guess that, yes, you would be given grandfather rights to the previous requirements.

HTH,

B73