PDA

View Full Version : Serviceman denied cancer drug

plans123
24th May 2007, 09:30
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/6685925.stm

MightyHunter AGE
24th May 2007, 09:40
This has made me utterly ashemed to be a member of the RAF, why isnt this mans Station Cmdr and SMO getting this sorted?

airborne_artist
24th May 2007, 09:48
About 30 years ago my aunt was the store doctor for a branch of M&S. A warehouseman with about 20 years service was diagnosed with cancer. The only treatment was about 30 miles away, and private. The store manager rang his boss, and got a call back in minutes.

"Tell him it's paid for, as much as is needed, and make sure you book him a taxi to get there and back. The taxi can wait while he's being treated.

enginesuck
24th May 2007, 10:26
I worked with Nick many moons ago what a great lad, didnt have a clue he was so ill, surely this is when our service repays us ? it shouldn't be up to his squadron to raise funds for his treatment.... As has been mentioned before what has the SMO done about this ?? Is the benevolent fund involved at all ??

cornish-stormrider
24th May 2007, 10:37
I'm hanging my head in shame at this utterley despicable treatment. If we were to be totally heartless and look at this from a financial aspect.....Treatment would cost far less than the costs of training and getting the experience for a replacement, even if its a one in four chance. The guys determination should do the rest

Bladdered
24th May 2007, 10:47
I notice that his 'Sqn' is raising funds, is there anyone on line who can PM me to let me know how I can contribute? Any links?

Ed

A2QFI
24th May 2007, 10:56
We can only hope for a good outcome to this dire situation, financially, medically and preferably both. Almost exactly the same thing happened last year in a small (squadron sized) firm in the South West. Employee had blinding headaches and was told 3 months wait for a scan; workmates put in £30 each = scan within 2 days. Told he had 14 days to live (brain tumour), emergency operation, fully cured and recovered. Here is where it goes differently! The firm's boss refunded all the employees the money they had put in to help their colleague! This man's squadron is working to help him, what are the NHS and the SMO doing? Obviously no chance of the squadron's collection getting refunded bit it sounds shameful, as reported so far.

Fast but Safe
24th May 2007, 11:51
The MOD waste millions because of bad management, don't let bad management be the result of losing one of our own professional colleagues.

Message to his station OC and SMO. Pull your fingers out......sirs!

FbS

SaddamsLoveChild
24th May 2007, 12:20
Cant fint him on t'intranet, what is his stn and sqn? Since the military have disposed of their hospitals except for Silly Oak he will have to take his chances with the NHS. Dont Stn Cdrs have welfare funds............I would think this much more deserving than the ceramics club!

OCCWMF
24th May 2007, 14:17
Someone, very brown, not too far away from me as I type is setting up a method for those keen to help Nick. Watch this space.

cornish-stormrider
24th May 2007, 14:43
I'll sling a ten spot into the fighting fund. just tell me how and where.

Nick Lock
24th May 2007, 15:40
Well it's me. The guy that this thread is about. How come I didn't even know this great web site existed?

My Squadron (6 Squadron), have been fantastic throughout my illness. I really have a great family and bunch of friends up there.

As far as I'm concerned, it's not the RAF that's letting me down, it's the NHS. I've paid my taxes and insurance since leaving college, never claimed any benefits or dole and this is how I am thanked.

So much to write.. I just want to thank you guys for your support and kind words. It means a lot!

Archimedes
24th May 2007, 16:06
May I also draw your attention to this thread over on the Army means?

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/p=1291187.html#1291187

There is much support over there also, and I'd be happy to pass on the relevant details of the arrangements to which OCCWMF refers.

Best wishes to you, Nick.

Nick's Mates
24th May 2007, 19:37
Sorry for the delay.

You can send donations to support Nick to:

Cpl Nick Lock Support Fund
c/o 6 Sqn Adjutant
RAF Coningsby
Lincoln
LN4 4SY

Please make cheques payable to 'Service Funds RAF Coningsby'

Thank you for your support.

Nick's Mates.

2close
24th May 2007, 19:42
Nick,

I don't know if this will be of any help and I certainly don't wish to get your hopes up unnecessarily but some 8 years back (after leaving HMF) I required surgery for a cervical spine condition that was not life threatening but needed asap to avoid further possible complications. I was told that it would probably take a year or so. Then I found out about a little known article of protocol that ex-service personnel are entitled to go straight to the top of any NHS waiting list. I was sorted within a couple of months.

I realise you are still serving but if you contact the Veterans Agency maybe a similar protocol exists for serving personnel.

I hope everything goes all right for you.

All the best,

2close

Vim_Fuego
24th May 2007, 19:56
E-Goat are in on this as well...Hope we can make a difference.

http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=112018&posted=1#post112018

WhitleighBoy
25th May 2007, 12:13
I find this very upsetting to read.
As an Ex'RAF Plumber of some 23yrs born and bread in Plymouth my heart goes out to Nick.
Cant swear to much as I'm new to this site, but suffice to say I am VV Angry at the situation you are in m8.
Hang in there Champion I and many more will try to help in anyway.
Keep ya chin up fellow Devon Dumpling.
Thoughts with ya.
Andy
'' COME ON POWER PEOPLE !! ..THIS MAN HAS PERFORMED FOR YOU...
TIME TO PERFORM FOR HIM ''

anotherthing
25th May 2007, 12:43
2close

I thought that it was if the illness/injury was attributable to service that you got the jump to the top of the queue, but obviously your experience does not reflect this.

I think part of the problem here is that the NHS as a whole, does not sanction the use of this drug due to its expense and its success rate - IIRC there was something on the news a few months ago either about this drug or another one.

However, it is outrageous that someone who pays taxes all their life and keeps themselves in good shape, should be denied treatment. What about all those people who get treatment despite the fact that they take no exercise, are obese, drink and smoke loads?

Nick, I do not know you but may I echo everyother sentiment here and wish you good luck with your fight to full good health.

10enggone
25th May 2007, 13:16
Just goes to show the state of our health service and the inability of the military to fund someone who has previously beaten cancer.

Having been on and seen some of the money that is wasted on detachments for the sake of a good time. As well as the money thrown at functions such as disbandments not to mention those enthralling tv adverts why can't the MoD fund Nick's treatment.

More annoying as I know Nick and have to say that he is one of the friendliest and funniest people you could know and a throw back to how a front line squadron should be, one of the ultimate modern liney's.

Beat it again mate, the cancer that is :ooh:

FJJP
25th May 2007, 13:24
Good luck Nick - cheque's in the post...

AR1
25th May 2007, 17:43
This is the end result of the Military Hospital closures, a man whose serving his country and could be posted anywhere within it, has to suffer regional variances in healthcare.

Utter bollox and absolutly scandalous.

My Brother-in-law, was a crew Chief on F111's and B1's. He left the USAF 10 years ago, and still gets treated by the military hospital. Its bloody shameful the way we are treated by comparison.

Nick's Mates
26th May 2007, 23:24
Be grateful of any help here. Will update as time goes on as to how we're doing. Looking for £36k.

plans123
26th May 2007, 23:39
E-goat have had a paypal account set up and I believe after a few hours its already got about £150 in it from donations.
http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6461

DON T
27th May 2007, 08:13
Just a thought, but if the right drugs are available in some NHS trusts, couldn't the wise men at Personnel post Nick to that post code.

Best of luck Nick.

JessTheDog
27th May 2007, 09:53
I knew of one officer who claimed he was being posted to an alternate location for compassionate reasons, because his wife required IVF treatment and there were "postcode lottery" issues with the initial posting location.

How about a posting to Leuchars? Nevertheless, although the drug is supposedly available in Scotland, it may not be available for all conditions and I would not want to raise any false hopes.

2close
27th May 2007, 11:40
That pi55es me off so much, that postcode lottery crap!!

The word is NATIONAL as in Health Service, not Regional or Local.

We all pay an equal share into the pot therefore the benefits should be equally shared.

Nick should not have to go traipsing around the country to obtain treatment that is rightfully his. The last thing he needs is the stress involved with moving home. The treatment is available in the UK and should therefore be taken to him not vice versa.

Tell you what, let's cancel just ONE high level, completely unnecessary, nose rubbing, governmental shindig - that's Nick's treatment paid for.

Apologies if this comes across as a thread hijacking soap box rant at the government but it really grips my sh** when I see the money these wnakers waste when real, deserving people have to fight tooth and nail for what should be rightfully theirs at a time when they could really do without any additional stress.

Coat, hat...........

samuraimatt
27th May 2007, 16:38
boiiiing. Thought I would bring this back to the top to remind everybody that we have serving people in this country also being denied treatment. I know he doesn't have a VC but he still deserves the very best.

cornish-stormrider
27th May 2007, 17:58
as promised, cheque put in post. oh and booooiiinnnggg

GreenKnight121
27th May 2007, 21:55
As an 8-year USMC vet, who gets free treatment of my service-connected feet/knee condition at the DVA* hospital in my own town, and low-cost treatment for my blood pressure (and anything else that might come up) there also...

In the last few years I have been ranted at by a number of UK citizens (on other boards, and even once last year here) about how the US "doesn't care for its people's health... if they did, they would have a national system like the wonderful one in the UK".

Why do most Americans refuse to allow the "party of the common man" (Democraps) to force us into a Nationalized Health Care System like they tried to do in the early 1990s?

I can only hope that Nick, and the old Gurkha, and all the other serving and veteran UK personnel manage to get the proper medical treatment that is supposed to be the RIGHT of military personnel (not a privelage to be withheld at the whim of a bureaucrat).

*formerly part of the DOD as the "Veteran's Administration", but elevated to a separate cabinet-level department as the "Department of Veteran's Affairs" in the mid-1990s by the Republican-majority Congress.

gar170
28th May 2007, 08:41
May be we should charge the government with miss treatment of public funds.
To deny Nick this treatment and at the same time fund that useless S*** Prescott to go to Barbados for so called Bi centenary celebrations for the end of the slave trade which he failed to attend at the tax payers expense seems a bloody good case to me.

hope all goes well Nick.

backflip
28th May 2007, 14:09
Having been treated for cancer myself whilst in the mob based at Leuchars, (been in remission two years) it frightens me to think that if I found myself unfortunate enough to fall out of remission, that I may find myself in the same position as Nick.
Whilst under treatment in Scotland it was pointed out quite clearly that I was lucky to be diagnosed /treated north of the border as they had better funding than their counterparts in the South.
I am no longer based in Scotland(still in service in N,Yorks) whilst having follow up checks in lancashire. I do not doubt that I would get excellent care should there be a recurrance, but there is always the thought in the back of your mind that there is a different "price for your life" dependant on were the service posts you.

Good Luck Nick.
Cheques in the post.

Archimedes
29th May 2007, 00:33
Back to the top to go with Mr Pun.

OCCWMF
29th May 2007, 09:43
http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6461

Is the direct link to the e-goat paypal account. Please give genourously.

samuraimatt
29th May 2007, 15:57
Back to the top to go with Mr Pun.

plans123
29th May 2007, 16:26
I've just been over to e-goat and they've raised £540 already, I've chucked some money Nicks way.

Rigchick
29th May 2007, 21:06
Back to the top with this.

Good Luck Nick and remember we're all thinking of you at this tough time. Keep on fighting.

Bigglz
30th May 2007, 12:43
I had the pleasure of working with Nick for many years on 'shiny' 6, so was saddened to hear of his current illness.:(

Have you thought about seeking donations from the attendees at the Jaguar Farewell weekend?

All the best Nick.

Bigglz

OCCWMF
30th May 2007, 16:47
Keep it up there folks

Inginear
30th May 2007, 19:06
What a sad state this country is in, makes you wonder where all the taxes they steal from us actually go! :oh: Good luck Nick, hope you get better and soon.:ok:

plans123
31st May 2007, 07:51
The totals are rising now, so as its payday - how about donating a tenner to Nicks Appeal fund?

cooheed
31st May 2007, 16:14
Another petition here. Think it could affect any of us. It's only running for a month though.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Cancerdrugs/

WE Branch Fanatic
1st Jun 2007, 15:12
Time for a bump?

Nick's Mates
1st Jun 2007, 21:40
Quite alot going on.

We have cheques coming in - about £200 a day at the mo. Some really nice people out there; many of whom definitely can't afford it (OAPs etc).

The e-gaot paypal account is over £700.

Collections known to be going on at Cosford, Lyneham, The Deid, MPA.

We've got all of the aviation press on it.

We've got some airshows thinking about donating a proportion of their takings.

We did a collection at the 6 Sqn HAS bash the other day, and a couple of 6 Sqn engineers are doing sponsored bike rides/runs.

The RAF News is doing a front page next issue, we think. The journo turned up yesterday. She should be mentioning the fund, the paypal account, and the e-goat poster.

We're working on some newspapers as well.

Too many ideas to follow up immediately, but we're ploughing through them.

We were told that the RAF is trying to post him to Scotland, but before they do that, they're checking that it will actually work for him. RAF docs checking with NHS, we believe.

Cheers,

Nick's Mates

Nick's Mates
2nd Jun 2007, 20:14
Back to the top, people. Please help us. He's a mate.

airborne_artist
2nd Jun 2007, 20:24
Ppruners - now that Mr Pun is sorted, let's get to work on the next one.

Exercise that PayPal account :E

Spacer
2nd Jun 2007, 23:31
Best of luck, mate. My money's on its way.

Nick's Mates
3rd Jun 2007, 20:16
Found this on page 2. Back to the top.

anotherthing
4th Jun 2007, 13:17
Bump back to the top.... and found this little gem on ceefax and the BBC website -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6713503.stm

Don't know what drugs Nick is after, but could this be the way ahead for all these expensive treatments?

If one drugs company can do this, how about others? They make huge amounts of money from sales, it's nice to see one company is prepared to put its money where its mouth is.

samuraimatt
4th Jun 2007, 14:43
Back to the top.

I believe there are something like 20 new cancer drugs due out onto the market soon. So maybe the NHS should consider it as they are very expensive.

anotherthing
4th Jun 2007, 17:08
why is this not a temporary sticky?

back to the top

plans123
5th Jun 2007, 11:37
E-Goat are starting to get a charity auction going to help raise money for Nick.
If there's anything that you wish to donate, which you think may raise some cash - please contact the E-Goat Nick Lock appeal (http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6461)

OCCWMF
6th Jun 2007, 08:57
To the top again

10enggone
7th Jun 2007, 09:29
To the top again mate

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
7th Jun 2007, 12:40
;)

Nicks Mates

Could you please give an update on collection.

Thanks.

'We knew how to whinge but we kept it in the NAAFI bar.'

Nick's Mates
7th Jun 2007, 16:37
E-goat is at £1384.

We have about another £4000 in or pledged.

We have a stand at the Waddo airshow.

There will be some Houses of Parliament memorabilia coming our way for raffle.

I'm told that the shadow health secretary is taking an interest.

There are still cheques coming in every day.

We're looking at creating and selling Sqn memorabilia and putting the proceeds to his fund.

Nick came over the other day. Great to see him.

Thank you to all of you. We pull together well.

StbdD
7th Jun 2007, 17:50
Absolutely no offense meant, but after reading the thread a time or two I'm still not clear on something. Where is this money going and what is it to be spent on?

I'm sure the answer is that it is to pay for the medication Nick needs but it would be good to hear that from the collectors.

sirsaltyhelmet
7th Jun 2007, 17:56
As one of the collectors on the goat, I can confirm that the money is indeed going to fund the medicine that Nick requires.

Would like to add, if anyone has any contacts and able to get us stuff to auction off then please get in touch.

Inginear
8th Jun 2007, 18:50
Bump...... :ok:

Just noticed that there are over 5800 views on this topic.... if everybody had given at least the cost of a beer, Nick would have a sizable fighting fund. Come on guys and girls, lets rally to the cause..:D

Nick's Mates
9th Jun 2007, 17:34
Found this on Page 2.

We're trying to save this guy's life.

cornish-stormrider
10th Jun 2007, 08:25
Nick's Mates, have they started the treatment yet??

talking to one or two frieds that have been thru cancer, they said that Lance Armstrongs book helped, throw a copy at Nick if he aint already got one.

Nick's Mates
10th Jun 2007, 17:50
Hasn't started yet.

We're waiting to jump through a couple more hoops to see if the NHS system is going to come up trumps. Also looking at options for posting Nick to Scotland to see if that makes a difference.

The problem is, once we go private there's no going back, so we are faced with a tough decision which we do not have the financial clout to back up (yet).

We need £9000 for the first course of treatment anyway. Not there yet, but it shouldn't take too much longer.

Thanks for the idea of the book. We will arrange it.

Bottom line is that the final decision on how and when to proceed will be with Nick. All we're doing is raising the money so that he has a choice, rather than none at all.

Nick Lock
10th Jun 2007, 23:17
Thanks once again for all of the support and well wishes guys. I managed a trip up to Coningsby to see my boys last week. I can't tell you how good it was to see everyone. Even if the weather didn't hold out for our BBQ that we had anyway ;)

As it stands at the moment I have one last chance to apply for this drug. Due to some new evidence from the Professor who pioneered the drug. If the decision from the Primary Care Trust (PCT) is a negative one, that's when i'll need to look into going private. Until then i'm trying to make my case as high profile as I can amongst the media and newspapers, also my MP has written to the PCT. When i've exhausted all of my resources in this field is when i'll put my application in. It's looking like it will be very soon.

I have a copy of Lance Armstrong's book.. An amazing guy and an amazing read...

Thanks once again!

Take care and stay safe, Nick.

cornish-stormrider
11th Jun 2007, 13:44
Here's the deal, you keep fighting, we'll keep praying and fundrasing and helping.

kokpit
11th Jun 2007, 19:16
"Paypal c/o satis"

All the best Nick.

Nick's Mates
13th Jun 2007, 07:44
Back to page 1... Thanks to all of you who have donated.

10enggone
15th Jun 2007, 14:54
To the top. Page 1

drustsonoferp
15th Jun 2007, 17:49
Sorry, but the life of one serviceman is not worth any more or less than that of the rest of the population of the country. NICE was brought in for a reason, and is not being allowed to do its job properly due to political intervention on emotive cases. Like any other body, the NHS has a budget, and decisions are made on how best to spend the money within it. Drugs are not used before being properly approved with good reason, and, frankly, if it is judged that the enormous amount of money required for treatment of one person with this is deemed to be better spent elsewhere, making a greater difference with better chance of success to a greater number of people, so be it. These aren't decisions reached lightly, but I find it very hard to imagine that the weekly charge here, with only a 25% chance of success is best use of resources.

LOTA
15th Jun 2007, 18:54
Won't argue with any of the above...but I think you've missed the point.

This is all about the RAF family pulling together to try to help one of its own in trouble, and as such, should be utterly commended.

Good luck, Nick

drustsonoferp
15th Jun 2007, 18:59
I wholeheartedly support the family pulling together for funding, but not to look for a special case to put to NICE/gov't/NHS.

air pig
15th Jun 2007, 18:59
Drustonferp, I do hope that you or one of your family or friends in the future, DO NOT require treatment be it drugs or procedure that is denied by this iniquitous system.

I suspect that you would undergo a conversion of thought and attitude, if the above were to happen. All drugs at the start are expensive, due to the research and development process. That a drug only has a 25% success rate is irrelevant to those who require it, they will take the chance that it will be a success and at least allow them to have a chance and a better quality of life. Would your attitude be different if Nick had been a child ??

Until you answer such a question with honesty, especially if it involved a member of your family, please go away and let the rest try to raise the money required to if necessary pay for Nick's treatment.

k3k3
15th Jun 2007, 19:27
www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=112811#post112811thread

Click on the link and follow the instructions, you know it makes sense!

Nick's Mates
15th Jun 2007, 20:27
We heard that it was emotive cases/test cases/landmark cases like this that got NICE to reconsider their standpoint on certain Breast Cancer treatments. Like the law, and rules, and science, I suspect that NICE guidelines learn, evolve, change with time, and this might be one of those occasions. Thus, while we do this for Nick because he's part of our family, what we're doing here might form part of an evolutionary process that saves many others in his position in the future.

Now then, we're very close to the figure that will pay for his initial batch of treatment, thanks to many people: not least e-goaters, arrses, pruners, people who have lost loved ones to cancer, and people who can't afford it (like old age pensioners). We're very grateful to all of them.

We're happy to report that the RAF as an organisation is doing the best it can also.

Please keep helping. If we have to opt out, we're in this for the log haul.

Nick's Mates

Shack37
16th Jun 2007, 10:22
Just followed the link to e-goat and paypal. I am not a paypal member and if I'm reading it right the first payment has to be in US$. Is this a problem ie loss through commission / excahnge rate etc?
S37:confused:

Mad_Moriarty
16th Jun 2007, 21:14
Mad_Mo here from e-goat, It's my Paypal account that is being used for folks to donate to.

In reply to your question, Ive never come across paying in US$ if you do not have a Paypal account.

What ever Country your living in, that currency will automatically be exchanged into sterling for whatever amount you wish to donate.

Hope this helps.

Mad_Mo

drustsonoferp
16th Jun 2007, 23:18
Nicks mates,

I wish you all the best in fundraising for the drug for Nick, and the best to him also, but I cannot support the campaign against a NICE verdict. This is indeed exactly what happened with herceptin the other year - a NICE verdict based on facts and economics was buckled by politics. This should not happen. Cancer is emotive, and as such enjoys considerably more funding than the likes of mental health problems, which affect far greater numbers of people. Sadly, when takign into account the health of an entire nation things have to become rather heartless on individual cases.

Good luck.

Dave Angel
17th Jun 2007, 07:11
[QUOTE=drustsonoferp;3353512]Nicks mates,
I wish you all the best in fundraising for the drug for Nick, and the best to him also, but I cannot support the campaign against a NICE verdict.QUOTE]

Then stop posting, you've made your point.

Keep fighting Nick and Nicks mates.:ok:

ZOFO
17th Jun 2007, 23:17
And up to the top again

Zofo :)

cornish-stormrider
19th Jun 2007, 12:01
Booooiiiiiinnnnggg:ok:

Nick's Mates
19th Jun 2007, 15:59
Fund is at about £7000, but goes up quicker than we can type. Thanks everyone, keep at it.

samuraimatt
21st Jun 2007, 13:06
Booooiiiiiinnnnggg

Shack37
22nd Jun 2007, 15:26
Nick's mates, how about a "keyboard skills" course to type faster?
When you get the time of course.
Boiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnng
s37

plans123
23rd Jun 2007, 13:04
E-Goat's Charity Auction for the Nick Lock Appeal is kicking off next week. Have a look Here (http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7154). When it starts please come and bid - Its all for a very good cause.
If on the other hand, you've got anything you can donate to be auctioned off, I'm sure the organisers would be more than willing to take it off your hands. :ok:

Nick's Mates
25th Jun 2007, 15:40
...with the good news that we are above the £10000 mark, through a sizeable donation from a family friend of Nick's.

But we're still a small percentage along the way, so please keep it up. Even if you could all go without one beer, it'll all add up.

cornish-stormrider
27th Jun 2007, 10:55
Boooooiiiinnngggg,

Nick, Howzit going??

plans123
28th Jun 2007, 13:40
E-Goat have just started auctioning of the first of its items for the Nick Lock fund - have a look here (http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/vbay.php)

There will be more items being listed over the next few days.

OCCWMF
28th Jun 2007, 17:14
To the top for generous Friday:ok:

samuraimatt
29th Jun 2007, 23:44
Back to the top.

monobrow
4th Jul 2007, 06:01
Unfortunately you can't see the items on E-Goats charity auction if you are not registered, so we have made a list for all to see over here -> http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7434

There are plenty more items to come, so please do check it regularly!

Mono

cornish-stormrider
5th Jul 2007, 11:12
boooiiinnnngggg

monkeybumhead
5th Jul 2007, 12:24
Mods,

Any chance of giving this thread sticky status?

Till such a time as the request is met I would just like to say,

Boiiiinnnnngggggggg

Shack37
5th Jul 2007, 14:45
There must be space now that sticky six have taken off.:ok:

monkeybumhead
6th Jul 2007, 09:09
Come on mods, sticky this thread damn you. E-goat have their appeal and auction plastered all over the home page so I think a bit of sticky action isn't too much to ask for.
BOOOOIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGGGG

flipflopman RB199
6th Jul 2007, 17:25
Oooops.

Looks like I've accidentally bumped this back to the top :E

Flipflopman

Shack37
7th Jul 2007, 18:48
Nearly off the front page again.:*

mad_collie
10th Jul 2007, 08:05
Bump.

E-Goat have some quality gizzits kindly donated by John Nichol, the Red Arrows and the last of the Jaguar pilots that they are raffling both online and at Bruntingthorpe.

See details here (http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7687).

All proceeds to Nick's fund.

Shack37
12th Jul 2007, 08:24
Slipping again!!!!!!!:\
Up she goes:ok:
s37

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
12th Jul 2007, 10:30
What is the total now ?

Keep going.
:D

philrigger
13th Jul 2007, 13:54
;)
Is Aaron going to get an answer ?

Post the latest total please.

'We knew how to whinge but we kept it in the NAAFI bar.'

monkeybumhead
13th Jul 2007, 15:19
E-goat total at over £3600, so the fund total should be quite a bit higher.

Up to the top we go.

Alber Ratman
13th Jul 2007, 18:21
Fund is £13,000 actually (as of Wednesday)

Nicks Mates (+ a few of Nicks "real" mates) have grabbed the last chance saloon opportunity to be down at RIAT with the QinetiQ Jag and will be waving "Cats Bow Out" brochures and the "Locky" red bucket by the jet.

They will also be doing some PR work (justification to get in).:rolleyes:

Sqn Prints are also got the brochure to (sic) donate for!!!!

If you are going to Fairford or working there, please support their efforts............:D:D

plans123
14th Jul 2007, 18:06
BOIIINNGGGGGGG!!

Checked some more cash Nicks way earlier today at Fairford - keep it up guys!!

Alber Ratman
19th Jul 2007, 17:30
Nicks Mates and the lads made £1850 for Nick at RIAT.

Total is at £19,500 for Nick at the moment with several hundreds more known to be on the way in.

Meanwhile the following links are for a raffle that e-goat is running to be drawn at Buntingthorpe this weekend. Tickets are available online for any interested parties. Prizes are shown on a link from the second thread.

http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7687

http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7647

Bob Viking
19th Jul 2007, 20:08
Al,
You're doing a fantastic job for Nick.
I may not be with 6 any more but I will watch with interest to see how he gets on.
BV:ok:

OCCWMF
20th Jul 2007, 08:25
Fine words BV. Keep it up Alber.

Alber Ratman
20th Jul 2007, 17:09
All I've done is supply Nicks Mates with ideas and ammo............

It is true I've done a little donkey work in the background.:)

But the lads are doing the leg work.....:D:D:D

Marhams families day will have Nicks Mates fundraising again.:D

I am also no longer on 6 (now a BAE flicker fixing sub contracted Blue Suit), but I will carry on helping as far as I can.

Somebody needs to order some more booklets.:ok:

To BV and OCCWMF, pleasure to have known you both. Good fortune in WHATEVER you do in the future..

Alber

Nick's Mates
20th Jul 2007, 21:34
Back to the top.

BV and OCCWMF - hello, children!

We need to keep this one up. Thanks to all at Fairford - we had all types of people donating - from AOC 1 Gp to smal children. Thanks to the 4 engineers who gave up their weekends, hope you enjoyed the party, and the total prat of and AFCO Flt Lt!!

Cheers!

(Mr) Nick's Mates

Met Police about to start collecting as well.

Alber Ratman
20th Jul 2007, 23:12
Heard that one from the boys.... Had to laugh!!!!

Nicks Mates... Thanks for making nutty ideas happen. Good luck on the fight..

Back to the top.............:D:D

Al

Alber Ratman
21st Jul 2007, 16:29
Unfortunately the Buntingthrope draw advertized on E-goat has been delayed until the families Day at RAF Marham on Thursday the 26th of July. However £164.83 was made by one E-goater by holding a stall with Jaguar disbandment books and other items..:D:D

Alber Ratman
23rd Jul 2007, 17:42
Nick Lock started his first course of Cetuximab treatment today, Monday the 23rd of July. Funding was not forthcoming from the NHS (as far as I am aware). I was informed that it is highly possible that another source of funding is being arranged, but this is not set in stone. As such a cheque for £15,000 has been sent to Nicks parents from Coningsby to cover the treatment if things go against the last statement.

I would hope all PPRuNer's would join me in wishing Nick the best of luck.http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/airforce/PDT_Xtremez_30.gif

Nick's Mates
29th Jul 2007, 21:50
Found this on page 4. There are some mates of ours who we can't help save. This is one who we can help.

Floppy Link
30th Jul 2007, 16:35
£25 on the way.
Good luck Nick! This can be beaten - I had NHL last year, surgery and chemo in Dundee (including Rituximab, probably similar to your Cituximab)...and I hope to get my medical back soon.
Regards
FL

OC 6 Sqn
31st Jul 2007, 09:41
As his most recent CO, I consider it to be my very sad duty to announce that Nick Lock died this morning after losing his courageous fight against cancer.

PPRuNers will be aware of the concerted effort to raise money for his treatment, after he was refused treatment by the NHS. The subsequent effort was testament to the high regard with which Nick was held and raised over £20 000, enabling Nick to start the treatment last Monday, 23 July. Sadly, it seems that the cancer had already taken its toll. Nick fell ill on Wednesday and returned to hospital but he deteriorated over the weekend and last night. I spoke with his mother, Sherrill, this morning and she described how Nick fought bravely throughout the night but finally passed away at about 0930.

Mrs Lock wanted to pass on the thanks of Nick’s family to all those that supported him; starting the treatment had at least removed from their mind the doubt that would have forever persisted if he had been denied the opportunity. Nick had already expressed a wish that any remaining funds should be donated to Cancer Research, the wards at Newton Abbott that had cared for him, and Children in Need.

Nick will be remembered as an incredibly enthusiastic young airman who was always great fun to be around and fiercely loyal to his Squadron. His determination and fighting spirit are an example to us all.

Rest in peace Nick.

John Sullivan