PDA

View Full Version : University Of Wales Air Squadron 1982

rolling20
22nd May 2007, 13:11
Anyone on here who was around there then..love to hear from the late 1981/early 82 intake, or indeed anyone who was in the two years above. Remember that January snow storm when the base was closed for 72hrs!!!
I know Johnny Moyle/ Phil Martin are no longer with us..great guys..

Legalapproach
22nd May 2007, 20:21
Aaaaaah UWAS. And which GAP would you have been in 81? ;)

I had, of course reached the heady status of Lad by then.

I knew about Johnny, what happend to Phil? Sad news.

Inspector Dreyfuss
23rd May 2007, 08:27
I was slightly after that intake - but an FC Aberystwyth graduate of that era was the stn cdr at Neatishead before it closed. Nonetheless, the regime at UWAS 85-88 was pretty similar. From that there evolved a fairly substantial UWAS mafia on the Jag in the 90s.
Does anyone remember all the categories on the GAP board? I vaguely remember 'spend a night in the nurses home' which encouraged me to endure a torrid night at The Heath Hospital. Also 'gash trip - non-Bulldog', 'RAF locks-chop' and 'barstool-a-batics' spring to mind. I my case, the whole process ended a few years after joing on attaining the exalted 'full ladship' with a yard of ale and a butt-naked run around Hullavingdon airfield. I still have the diced carrot and tomato tie and also recall working on the 'sensoyuma coefficient board'.

bowly
23rd May 2007, 09:46
Was Phil the chap who passed away after the tragic hawk accident at Chivenor in 1992?

rolling20
23rd May 2007, 12:58
Unfortunately he was..great guy! I put his Vauxhall Viva in a ditch on a treasure hunt from Benson on the 82 summer camp. I believe he was one of the lucky ones who were picked to fly with Prince Edward when we was a student?!
As for the GAP board, id forgotten about that...
Alas, i never made the RAF, having been chopped at an 'early stage' on the UAS .I do remember a couple of people made it on to Jags and Hercs.

ACW599
23rd May 2007, 13:12
>Does anyone remember all the categories on the GAP board? <

In my time (early 1970s) we certainly had "spend night in nurses' home". This particular D was very successfully CO by several gaps at the one down the road from RAF Newton whose name I can't now recall, something like Saxondale. We also had "independent falling-over check", "b*llocking from the Boss", "get thrown out of the Mess bar" and "bring six tarts to a party". The latter got us a Force Twelve b*llocking from the SDO at Wyton one summer camp when we collectively brought about 80 into the bar one evening . . .

The diced carrot and tomato tie remains a treasured possession. If I recall correctly, it entailed drinking a pint in each of the 11 pubs on the Mumbles, followed by the award of the Splash of Merit if you honked on the steps of the Conservative Club. I can vaguely remember the then admin officer (Guy Griffiths?) spending most of the following weekend in bed very ill after attempting to do a Mumbles one Friday evening.

Happy days on UWAS -- simply the best.

XM147
23rd May 2007, 18:06
Anyone around from the late 60s and very early 70s when there were both LADs and GAPs ?

XFTroop
24th May 2007, 00:10
Any Chipmunk Aces from the original 20 studes who formed UWAS in 1963 around. As I recall, 6 each from Cardiff and Swansea and 4 each from Bangor and Aber.
Cardiff/Swansea boyoes did their stuff from St Athan, Bangor from Valley and Aber from Aberporth. Boss was Brian Gubbins who was great at scribbly stuff but not overfond of flying! Fortunately there were 2 great QFI's, Robert (Chips) Wood who made at least One Star and Brian Owens who sadly died in a Chippy accident at Moreton-on-the Marsh early 70's. Great years, fondly remembered
Ar Esgyll Dysg!

Legalapproach
24th May 2007, 21:10
So, does anyone fancy meeting up for a few beers - formal or informal reunion? I am in touch with a few ex-dragons and I'm sure given a bit of organisation we could get a crowd together. Potential venues range from London to the Blue Anchor.

Legalapproach
24th May 2007, 21:12
Or a mumbles run!!!

Hertz
24th May 2007, 23:40
Well I was certainly an 81/82 entrant and got caught in the big freeze. Never played so much Risk in my life.

I remember Phil's old Viva as well, and the pain in the arse when he and I took turns grinding in the valves when it blew a head gasket at Summer Camp. The vehicle I have fondest memories of though is Jacko's old blue Citroen, and using scaffolding to bend the suspension back into shape after the Vulcan painting incident.

My favourite entry on the GAP Chart was Special Air Sqn. I earned my tick on the great Abingdon raid in '83. Happy days :)

Feck
25th May 2007, 06:48
Red Dragons,

I set up a website over a year ago with the aim of keeping ex-UAS bods in touch. There are photos on there, sorted by year, and a Red Dragons List with where people are these days (with email addresses). Clearly, the latter requires you to sign up and be a verified ex-Dragon.

Link here (http://uasreunited.co.uk/main/index.php?topic=UWAS)

Please feel free to add more photos or names to the list!

You'll see that the last reunion was around a year ago, and was attended by various peeps from the last 15 years. It would be good to extend that to the 80s and beyond! Until we get an ASBO and have to go into hiding again.

Ciao,

rolling20
25th May 2007, 09:17
Hertz, what about Moyles TR7, Emrys-Roberts Cortina estate, French's Ford Anglia...does anyone rememer the Mooning incident in Cardiff, it was like a Monty Python sketch, five police cars i rememeber... What about the race back from Barry Island..Viva v Anglia and the Anglia went the wrong way round the roundabout to get ahead!! Ah and car to car transfers down the St Athan runway....
I had many lifts in Jacko's CX, a fine set of wheels for a student!!!

Love a reunion!!

dmbaker
30th May 2008, 22:34
Bloody hell Gaps (Chaps) dont know how I missed this one. Please post back if still onto this thread. I met up with Malcom Hunt earlier this year and with Mick Mills last summer. Do you think there would be a place for a meet up

Legalapproach
31st May 2008, 07:23
Ah The Doctor.

Reunion planned for 11th October at St Athan see thread below. Give Chas Slater (now the Adj) a call to get your name on the list.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=324766&highlight=uwas+reunion

dmbaker
1st Jun 2008, 23:04
Thaks for the info,
Will be good to meet up.
Ill ring Chaz tomorrow
Are you ever at the RAF club, perhaps we could meet up before then