PDA

View Full Version : Private flying in Belgium

gliderman69
22nd May 2007, 11:23
Hi Peeps

I've just moved to Brussels to work, and after selling ym share in teh UK does anyone know of any good clubs, hopefully english speaking in the Brussels area?

Cheers

Ni Thomas
22nd May 2007, 13:39
Grimbergen?
Grimbergen Flying Club - www.rvg.be
I think the Sabena Aero club is also based there - http://users.skynet.be/snaeroclub/

Not sure about the English aspect but I haven'tmet too many people in Belgium who can't sprechenze les Anglaispeak. They did/do have one or two non-Belgians on the airfield.
Good luck.

Mark 1
22nd May 2007, 13:55
It was some time back, but a colleague of mine flew from Balen Keiheuvel (EBKH) and rated them quite well.

There's a good club at Diest that organizes the annual "old-timers" fly-in, but I think it's weekends only.

gliderman69
22nd May 2007, 14:12
Thanks people, checking out the wensites now, might jump in the car and take a look.

sternone
22nd May 2007, 20:14
We have some english speaken people in our club at EBGB, don't know about UK ones, italians and germans they speak english to us.. (sort off)

The only problem with Grimbergen in my opinion is the rahter short runway 2000ft grass and when it has rained its all mud... but for the rest its all fun and hey, i live only 10minutes drive from the GA airport!!

I'm planning to go to EBAW for the IFR flights wich is 25mins drive, but depends were you live in brussels, i live in woluwe st.lambert wich is the correct direction to these 2 airports :-)

HAve fun and maybe we could enjoy some flights togheter!

sternone
22nd May 2007, 20:19
Not sure about the English aspect but I haven'tmet too many people in Belgium who can't sprechenze les Anglaispeak. They did/do have one or two non-Belgians on the airfield.

Luckely for you the Grimbergen EBGB is a Flemish dutch speaking club, so we actually do speak a little bit understandable English, that to the contrary of the French part of the country, were they not only seem to be to lazy to work but also to lazy to learn another language...

gliderman69
23rd May 2007, 06:59
Hey Sternone

Lol yes a flemish co worker said exactly the same thing here!!!

Wasn't there some sort of report on it recently how thw French part couldn't speak much Dutch so English was becoming their second language?

Anyhow thanks for the reply, I've been in contact with Eddy from Vliegclub Grimbergen is that the same club as yours?

PM me then we can arrange to meet up.

Cheers

sternone
23rd May 2007, 07:09
Sure, Eddy is a great guy!

They don't have a second language, they think they can speak english but they really can't. Belgium is a fake, there is no such country. more than 1 out of 3 flemish people at this moment vote for 100% independance, so that means you have quite a problem hanging there. Aldo i don't vote for seperation, i vote for a confederal Belgium just like the Swiss and Canada. Belgium as a country is a joke, 85% of the export comes from Flemish part, only 15% is devided between Brussels and Wallonie, 75% of all state income comes from Flemish part, Flemish people are only allowed to have a university in their language since 1930's because the French people said the language was to stupid to teach in it ...

The french part of Belgium is the second poorest region in Europe, the Flemish part of Belgium is the third richest region in Europe.

Belgium only existed because the UK goverment wanted a barrier between France, Germany and Holland

gliderman69
23rd May 2007, 07:46
:)

Since I'm guest in your country, and by the look of it my forefathers caused the problem I will keep my comments about Belgium to myself.

Tch...who am I kidding I love a good rant..yep Belgium is fu**ed up!!! Brussels even more so, 3 languages in Belgium, god knows how many governments that you have to fund with tax money!!!

I hope the flying is good!

I've added you as a contct on my MSN, hopefully we can chat about flying, if I've got the time today I might pop up to the field, Eddy said that people are there up until 6 today?

sternone
23rd May 2007, 08:59
Haha, don't worry, what better place could europe choose as a hq ?

It's loads of fun, happy landings pal!

Radar
23rd May 2007, 09:13
Given that you've ,quote ' just moved to Belgium' , I wonder on what you base the assumption, qoute 'yep Belgium is fu**ed up!!! '. Was it because sternone asserted it is so? He at least is a native so has an explanation, if not an excuse, for his prejudice. What's yours based on?

If you start flying from Grimbergen try a hop over to Spa. Stunning little field on the edge of the Ardenne and despite the strong french accents, great location and great people. They have even been known to speak the odd word of english

BTW Welcome to this fu**ed up little country. Hope you enjoy your stay.

gliderman69
23rd May 2007, 11:36
Someone needs to take a humor pill!!!

It was sarcasm, joke, having a laugh, creating a rapport, you know fun stuff. dont take things to seriously, since I'm sure everyone on the planet at one time or another has said off the cuff remarks

Sorry I offended you.

sternone
23rd May 2007, 11:49
Gliderman,

You see, that's what i mean with differences between a Flemish guy and a French guy, we Flemish people know brittish humor and like it!!

Welcome to Belgium, we hope you enjoy your landings....

gliderman69
23rd May 2007, 12:32
http://zapatopi.net/belgium/

Website provided by my Belgium co workers.

:)

BRL
23rd May 2007, 12:37
The saxophone, a supposedly Belgian instrument played by "cool" Liberals. :D :D :D . . . . . . .

sternone
23rd May 2007, 12:39
Hahahahahahaha

pumper_bob
23rd May 2007, 19:24
I have flown many times in Belgium, and i found it a great experience. I've rented planes from Bernard at Mooreselle, he is now at Kortijke, hangers to the south of the runway. Also recently rented from Suarly/Namur. Quick check ride with a TNT pilot and off you go in a decent C172 @ appx £75/hr! The chaps at Theux, 12 nm north of Spa were really welcoming, i came in half way through a fun day, balloon poping and spot landings etc. The old boy, Piere, booked me a hotel and drove me into town, Vervieres, and picked me up in the morning! Amougie is also a good club type place, nice atmosphere and welcoming people. All these places are less than an hour from Brussells. Lets face it most places in Belgium are less than an hour from Brusselles? You get a squawk 99% of the time and the clearances through most of the zones is on a formal handover, really easy!
All in all a good place to fly from!
PB.

gliderman69
23rd May 2007, 20:05
Hi PB

Thanks for taking the time to answer, I'm planning to visit Grimbergen EBGB next week. Rates look good plus joining fee and airfield joining fee aren't bad either.

Airfield joining fee gives you 40 landings for I think it was 140€

thats...*takes socks off, thinks hard passes out from mental effort*...............3.5€ a landing!!!!

Man we have it bad in the UK why is it everything on mainland Europe just better?

Cranfield where I used to fly are charging my old group something like £29 a landing and thats for home based planes!!!!!

Mainland Europe airfields....supported and intergrated into the local community.....UK airfield not supported, NIMBYs everywhere, and turned into housing estates, or like Cranfield feel that they can price GA out of the market.

Who wants to pay nearly £35 as a visitor to go to Cranfield, cafe is s**t! :rolleyes:

Hey here is a story, flew once from le Mans after the 24 hour race, asked to move my slot time to a day earlier when leaving, airfield director came and found me and apologised that he might have to hold me for a maximum of 20 mins because of IFR traffic.

Very apologetic he was (and all for the pricely sum of €20)

Dont worry about it said I...bloody cranfield have held me at the hold for 30 mins before waiting to get off inbetween the wantabees! No a word of apology from them as i'm burning fuel, cheeky gits probably would have charged me for the 30 mins extra parking. :ugh:

Rant over!!!

Think I'll enjoy Brussels, hey Sternone think I've got your MSN right now, will try to get up next weds night and visit the airfield will have my licence and log book on me then as well.

Cheers!!!

ACARS
5th Oct 2007, 12:48
Hello

After 7yrs waiting, I finally get to fly again next week. Anyone flown with the BFS at Namur (EBNM)? I am working 50% in Belgium and plan to devide my flying between Ireland and Belgium.

sternone
5th Oct 2007, 16:16
Hey, you can PM me all, i'm flying on EBAW and EBGB

Radar
5th Oct 2007, 17:46
ACARS,

Welcome, not only to Belgium but also back in the air. God bless your patience after seven years. If no-noe else throws up any info for you I have an acquaintence who has a Chippie based in Namur. He might have an opinion on them, he instructs in Spa. Where in Ireland will you be flying from??

gliderman69
5th Nov 2007, 14:53
ACARS

After starting this thread ages agao I finally got the time to fly and join VCG based at Grimbergen last week. From what I have seen so far a nice little club and cheap when compared to UK standards, and good online booking system as well.

I'm always looking for people to fly with so PM me if you are interested!

Gliderman

ANJ
6th Nov 2007, 01:34
Gliderman,

There's a good English-language (mainly) site on Belgian private flying here - http://www.abeam.be/

Sam Rutherford
6th Nov 2007, 08:18
Hi Guys,

I'm living in Brussels. Have flown with both Cidra and the KFC at Wevelgem. Going out to the Bahamas in Feb for 20-30 hours of island hopping! I'm also interested in flight sharing - actually possibly in buying an aircraft share if anyone is interested in buying an a/c - is selling a share...? 4 seat (but preferably a six)?

Sam +32 475 930232
(1600h TT, but mostly rotary)

Radar
6th Nov 2007, 12:08
Sam,

Check your PM.

LowNSlow
6th Nov 2007, 12:28
Ah Belgium, Europe's best kept secret. Great people, excellent cuisine and you can never exhaust the choices of beers!!!

sternone
6th Nov 2007, 16:40
Hey i live in Brussels, anyone who wanna fly with me at EBAW or EBGB just pm me!

Sam Rutherford
6th Nov 2007, 21:02
PM on way! Sam.

Sam Rutherford
6th Nov 2007, 21:07
Whilst we have a bit of a Belgian thread going - I have a query for a local!

One of my other threads is 'landing in a field' - which you can do relatively easily in the UK apparently. I think this is a GREAT idea. Is it also as easy (from a legal point of view) in Belgium?

I am really on for doing some field landings!

Sam.

Sam Rutherford
3rd Feb 2016, 18:58
Anyone interested? A resto in Brussels somewhere?