PDA

View Full Version : Guidelines For Drafting Defence Policy Statements

Blacksheep
22nd May 2007, 06:26
Noted in the final issue of the "Tengah Times"

“We discussed publicity for the new defence measures. I concur completely that we must set at rest the minds of the chaps. Although the final decisions have yet to be made (or, indeed not, as subsequent circumstances may decide for us) I share your views that we cannot abdicate our responsibility by keeping the troops in the dark until we have drawn our ultimate (or perhaps penultimate) conclusions.

They have a right to know their future – even if we are not yet entirely resolved upon it. They should and must be told.”

“In one of the files you passed me I came across a speech that aptly and with facility you could adopt.

‘The British Armed Forces now have that lean, muscular look that spells absolute fitness. Equipped with modern arms they have the power to pack the KO punch. . . .’

‘We are not contracting: we are consolidating. With our new transport aircraft we can fulfill our commitments anywhere in the world. One day our modern serviceman may be at home in Ireland, the next helping our continental European allies, and the third day putting out a brush fire with our Asian friends. And before the week is out he could be once more safe in Ireland.’

Please do not hesitate to use the extract. I do not think it will be recognized. After all it is more than thirty years since Neville delivered the speech.”

tablet_eraser
22nd May 2007, 18:29
Oooh, can I have a go at drafting a policy statement?

Agility, architecting benchmarked strategic capabilities, underpinning current force elements at readiness, notwithstanding statistical trends. Mission command. Battlespace superiority in a digital environment, including network-enabled capability, without reliance on manpower or attrition. Mission command. Extended readiness, based on AFBSC Paper 4c(56/K) dated 43 Aug 06, requiring agility and continuing efforts to create leaner structures, determining digital potential in the modern battlespace, battlespace, battlespace, underpinning benchmarked trends in the battlespace. Mission command.

May I have an ADC and a big office now, please?