PDA

View Full Version : PPL At Orlando Flight Training

Felix Saddler
18th May 2007, 00:20
I am seriously considering going over to OFT to do my PPL, my only concerns are the contrast between US & UK RT phraseology and standard procedures. Can anyone enlighten me?

ric180880
18th May 2007, 01:28
I wouldn't worry to much, the basics are the same, just certain bits of terminology differ, but not to a huge extent. US is more relaxed than UK, but does not take too long to get used to the UK when u come back.

Felix Saddler
20th May 2007, 21:41
Another thing, the PPL issued will be JAA. Will this be a problem back in the UK? Would i have to convert it to a JAR? If so how would i go about this and whats the cost?

Sean H
20th May 2007, 22:41
what you on man? :ugh:
JAA is JAR..LOL..its the same licence to answer ur question, no conversion wat so ever, just hope in the plane and ur legal n the UK.
im tired,sorry 4 da bad spelling :sad:

Felix Saddler
20th May 2007, 23:24
Okay thanks.

BackPacker
21st May 2007, 17:54
Search this and other pprune forums. A lot has been said, by me and others, about OFT and in general the difference between flying here and there. A fellow ppruner named SoCal Approach also has made a fair bit of comments on everything regarding the TSA clearance, M-1 visa and such. Make sure you've got all the paperwork done, and learn as much theory before you go there. Try to avoid hurricane season (roughly april to october), if you have to go mid-summer go to California instead (Anglo-American Aviation I think the place is called).

Short version on when you get back: Yes, there is a difference. Aerodynamics are the same in the UK and US, but legally, airspace, R/T, there are differences. Once you get back with that shiny PPL, book two hours ground school with an instructor, one-on-one, prepare (weather, notams, flight plans) and fly a mock flight (particularly the mock R/T to get a FIS/RIS/MATZ transit). Then book at least two flights with an instructor, both as a club checkout and airspace+R/T familiarization. Then build your experience slowly, solo first, then with passengers. As long as you are aware of the differences and willing to learn (which you clearly are by visiting this forum ahead of time) you should not have a problem.