PDA

View Full Version : EASA VLA Permit to fly ?

hunter ace
21st May 2007, 11:15
Hi Guys,
Has any one out there got any clue as to when [if ever] the CAA might allow VLA a/c to fly under a permit..I am interested in buying a Sky arrow..but I do not want the hassel of maintenance organisations etc..

S-Works
21st May 2007, 11:48
I was under the impression that VLA aircraft did operate on a permit. SEP rather than ML type permit. There is just no special cat for VLA.

hunter ace
21st May 2007, 11:57
Ithink you are correct about VLA not being a seperate catagory..I think the CAA sees them as basically small group A a/c and require a CofA..I hoped that someone might know of EASA's plans to copy the US LSA concept

S-Works
21st May 2007, 12:02
Ok, but I dont see the problem, why do we need another category? ML or SEP. If on a permit you can do all your own maintanance etc.

Rod1
21st May 2007, 12:06
“CAA might allow VLA a/c to fly under a permit”
CS – VLA is a design code. If an aircraft is factory manufactured to CS – VLA it is put on a C of A and you are stuck with it. If the aircraft is designed to CS – VLA and it is home built it is put on a permit and life is good.
In the UK you cannot hire aircraft that are on a permit.
All CS – VLA aircraft are restricted to VFR, Day (both factory and home built)
As the owner, builder of a VLA I am something of a fan.:)
Rod1

hunter ace
21st May 2007, 12:17
The point I am really making is that it is rather illogical to have the same a/c on a permit or a CofA simply depending on who built it!
In the US you can buy a new LSA and operate it in a much more relaxed way [maintenance-wise]..and I thought that EASA ws considering a similar system in Europe..I have built PFA a/c in the past[Glasair3,Quickie]]..but I would really like to go down the permit route without all the building hassle..hence the question!

S-Works
21st May 2007, 12:29
Ah I See, you want to have your cake and eat it!!!!!

Rod1
21st May 2007, 13:05
So go and buy one built by somebody else….

CS – VLA is a much more flexible set of rules than LSA. Speed limit of 120kn, no CS props etc etc etc, would not suit me at all.

Rod1

bar shaker
21st May 2007, 13:14
LSA also requires LME maintenance.

I'm with Rod, VLA every time. There is a Ban-bi (like Rod's) on AFORS at the moment. That should satisfy most people's needs.

S-Works
21st May 2007, 13:25
FIFTY TWO GRAND for a microlight!!!!! Where did this £25 an hour CHEAP flying come from?

For that money you get an IFR all weather aircraft!

:E

bar shaker
21st May 2007, 14:31
And how much does that IR ship cost to keep in the air, Bose?

You can get very capable VLA/ML machines for £30k and running costs of under £25ph. The replacement engine (1500 TBO - non compulsory) is around £8000, fuel is £10 and the rest is insurance and hangarage with a bit of maintenance.

I'd factor in depreciation at 5% pa on, say a Eurostar that had already depreciated to £30k.

S-Works
21st May 2007, 14:44
You VLA/ML boys are so full of it sometimes. I have 300hrs on ML and I know full well what they cost to run! £10 in fuel is a fantasy world even on some of the old Rotax and robin engines.

THIRTY GRAND is not cheap flying to buy an aircraft. FIRTY THREE GRAND for a ML is definastly not cheap flying!!!

I have no doubt my IFR ship is more expensive to run, I don't try and convince others it is cheap. But £1200 for annual £180 for a 50hr and £1400 for insurance and 32lph don't make it much more expensive and for that I get night and IFR.

Take to a VLA pilot and everything is so cheap you get a credit for flying and talk to a home builder and everything is 20kts faster than the book on 1/3rd the fuel.

FIFTY THREE grand gets you a lot of REAL aircraft.......

:O

S-Works
21st May 2007, 15:09
Specifications (Rotax 912 UL)
General characteristics
Type: 4-cylinder, 4-stroke liquid / air cooled engine with opposed cylinders, dry sump forced lubrication with separate oil tank, automatic adjustment by hydraulic valve tappet, dual CD carburetors, mechanical diaphragm pump, electronic dual ignition, electric starter, integrated reduction gear 1 : 2.273
Bore: 79.5 mm
Stroke: 61 mm
Displacement: 1211.2 cm³
Length: 561 mm
Width: 576 mm
Dry weight: 60 kg with electric starter, carburetors, fuel pump, air filters and oil system
Components
Valvetrain: OHV, hydraulic lifters, pushrods, rocker arms
Fuel type: premium unleaded: 90 octane or higher leaded or unleaded or AVGAS 100 LL
Oil system: dry sump with trochoid pump, camshaft driven
Cooling system: liquid cooled cylinder heads, air cooled cylinders
Performance
Power output: 59.6 kW @ 5800 RPM
Specific power: 48.71 kW/L
Compression ratio: 9:1
Fuel consumption: 19.2 liters/h @ 5000 RPM (75% power)
Specific fuel consumption: 285 g/(kW·h) @ 5500 RPM (maximum continuous power)
Power-to-weight ratio: 0.98 kW/kg