PDA

View Full Version : 76 (R) Sqn

Roland Pulfrew
21st May 2007, 09:04
Chaps

I have heard on the grapevine that the sqn formerly known as TANS at Linton-on-Ouse has been given a number plate.............76 (R) Sqn!!!

Anyone know if this is a late April Fool's Joke? Why 76? IIRC it was last operational at the end of WWII so surely it cannot fulfill the normal requirements for reactivating number plates ie length of operational service. Surely 10, 74 and 206 should be ahead of 76?

Anyone any ideas?

sedburgh
21st May 2007, 09:13
Well it was on the RAF web site last week, see : http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/index.cfm?storyid=8A78E32A-1143-EC82-2EBD440CCC69752B

reallydeskbound
21st May 2007, 09:37
Actually, having just read the artcile on the MOD web site it seems as though the selection of the Sqn number has been given a degree of thought and debate. :\

As 76 has close links with LOO and Yorkshire, and it has a good Service record, then why not reactivate it and let it be active again. We all know that no Sqn is safe from closure these days so let more numbers have some time in the sun and their history could become as well known as some of our more famous ones.

Roland Pulfrew
21st May 2007, 09:58
RDB

I have no problems with reactivating number plates (I think it is a good thing), I just thought that there was an established procedure (managed through AHB and ACAS?) that meant that reallocation of numbers was done on "seniority". It was my understanding that this was operational seniority and I was just a bit surprised that 76 (despite its links with LoO and Yorks) had been chosen over others with longer operational service.

Archimedes
21st May 2007, 12:34
You're right, RP, there is such a set of rules based on seniority. 76 Squadron is 114th or 115th in the seniority listings (depending upon whether or not 360 was around long enough to overtake it). There are an awful lot of units with greater seniority than 76.

However.... the rules for reserve units are (or were) slightly different, and the issue of seniority has never been observed strictly here. If it had been, then the Tornado OCU would be 45(R) and what used to be MEFTS would be 15(R) - 45 is senior to 15 and shouldn't (under the seniority principle) have been renumbered post options for change, whatever Malcolm Rifkind had said about the disbanded RAFG Tornado units carrying on, albeit with different aeroplanes.

For instance, when the F-4 OCU was formed, it was originally planned to have the reserve identity of 68 Squadron, but Air Support Command requested that the air staff amend this to 64 Squadron. Not because 64 was more senior - which it is - but because ASC would use the F-4 in the FBSA role, and 64 had been used in the ground attack role in both world wars, when 68 Sqn had not. ACAS approved the switch.

For 76, it seems that the local connection, plus the famous VC (VC awards were also a factor in deciding between numberplates in the 1950s, BTW) have been used in a similar way here to that decision over the F-4 OCU, although this one is historically more accurate (68 Squadron had been a ground attack unit as well, albeit only in WW1). This also means that when Gordon Brown realises that the RAF needs more SH and AT [insert hollow laughter] the more senior numberplates can be resurrected to fly these airframes...

cornish-stormrider
21st May 2007, 13:01
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
does it matter what number we give it? in 5 years when the RAF is bankrupt and we sell it all for peanuts it ain't going to matter a damn

XV277
21st May 2007, 13:15
I do recall the 'numerologists' being slightly surprised when 207 was chosen for one of the Tucano units (Related to a VSO's previous service IIRC).
How many more 'non-numbered' units are there to apply Reserve numbers to?
I note that 54 has been given to the ISTAR Training squadron (resulting in at least one Sentry now having 8, 23 and 54 markings on it!)

Jackonicko
21st May 2007, 13:41
In the month when we're remembering the 50th anniversary of the British H-Bomb, the VERY CONSIDERABLE courage and sacrifices made by the aircrew of No.76 Squadron are perhaps especially worthy of being remembered and celebrated.

They were the blokes who flew their Canberras into the mushroom clouds to take samples.

:D:D:D:ok::ok::ok:

teeteringhead
21st May 2007, 14:03
And of course as a (R) sqn it will not accrue any more seniority, which will/may/might count when needing a new frontline sqn.....