PDA

View Full Version : Cat 6 Computer Cable

Tosh McCaber
21st May 2007, 07:18
Anyone out there know what the minimum bending radius is for Cat 6 computer cable?

Thanks,

Tosh

BOAC
21st May 2007, 08:26
From a commercial site via Google:

Maximum cable pulling tension must be limited to 25 lbs. Too much tension can disturb the pairs and threaten performance. Bending radius should not be more than four times the cable diameter. The typical bend radius for Category 6 cable is 1 ¼ inch.

Tosh McCaber
21st May 2007, 10:13
I must say that I, too, looked at Google. Confusingly, different sites came up with between 4x and 20x diameter for minimum radius. I was involved in a peripheral capacity in an installation a couple of years ago, where I seem to recall that the minimum radius was quoted at about one foot!

Saab Dastard
21st May 2007, 21:34
It's been a while since I looked at the 568A Standard, but I'm pretty sure that the minimum bend radius is 1". AFAIK, CAT6 is covered by 568A, even though it is a lot more recent.

It is possible that the different bend radius values come from different types of cabling - e.g. Plenum Cable, which I know has a different (fire-resistant) sheathing to standard CAT5/6, and so could require a different radius.

But one foot?

That sounds much more like the old co-axial thicknet (10base5) ethernet cabling!

Tosh McCaber
21st May 2007, 21:38
Guys,

As usual, thanks for that. The radii that you've quoted are well within the limits that i need.