PDA

View Full Version : FO position In China

Anonymus6
21st May 2007, 04:37
You guys think that FO doors will be soon be open for expads in China? When I mean China I mean government owned airlines. I belive the doors are already open for private once!!! Captain doors is already open.

The reason I brough up this subject is that several flight schools that produce young fresh chinese pilots to airlines in china is facing severe flight instructor shortage.

Any information would be nice! :cool:

co-joe
21st May 2007, 17:48
Captain doors are open, but you can forget about the FOs. Yes the opportunity opened once for private airlines but it is nearly impossible to find a FO position with state-owned airlines.

I have heard that a CAAC regulation states that no foreign FOs will be hired in China since there is no need for them...yet. Plenty of Chinese FOs to do the job, it's the shortage of Captains that are most important to the companies. Plus foreign FOs are too much hassle for Chinese companies. There is no way in "guaranteeing" that the pilot will stay the length of his contract.

If the company trains the individual and gives him a type rating, then the individual disappears afterwards. This situation definitely does not look good for foreign low-time FOs. Hiring foreign FOs just isn't very attractive to the airline company.

So to answer your question....foreign FOs no and foreign Captains...a big yes.

flyca
21st May 2007, 18:33
At present, I have to say it is extremely unlikely foreign FOs could be hired by China's SOAs (state-owned airlines). Do you know how much paperwork it is involved that the airlines and government authorities have to deal with? (Not to mention the expat FOs). The time wasted just on paperwork is definitely not worth it for the SOAs to do this.

As for private airlines, well, you have to understand that they have much more difficulties in getting enough pilots, that's why some of them have or had expat FOs. In China, most flight training institutes (I am not saying all of them) have partnerships or some sort of agreements with Chinese SOAs, so most graduates will end up working for SOAs, and this is only one of the many factors why SOAs are not so short of Chinese FOs, hence almost no need for expat FOs.

Cheers.

airbus2boeing
22nd May 2007, 04:21
It's only a matter of time!

catchyouintheair
22nd May 2007, 07:36
China doesnot recruit any expat fos now.

flyca
22nd May 2007, 12:58
airbus2boeing, that may very well be the case in a few years time. And, China will gradually open up its doors to expat pilots, but I really doubt on how many Chinese airlines would really need foreign FOs (particularly those who cannot communicate & think in Chinese) even in another 10 years time.

If you work in Chinese civil aviation sector, you would probably know that there are several analysis around suggesting the pilot shortage faced by Chinese airlines may even end by as early as 2010 with the increasing number of locally and overseas trained pilot students at current. Just ring up a few FTOs on CAAC's approved overseas FTO list, and ask how many Chinese students and/or airline cadets they currently have, then you would understand a bit better.

Cheers.

rwong2005
23rd May 2007, 10:40
One of the low cost airlines is welcome anyone who would like to join them, but you need to pay 380,000 RMB(about USD $ 50,000)for the Airbus 320 type rating. That's included ground school, simulator and 30 touch and go's in actual A320.

The condition is as followed:

1) need to sign a contract as least 8 years as a FO

2) starting salary is about $3000 U.S per month.

3) you will get an apartment with one bedroom(company provided) or you can get your own apartment

4) taxes, I am not sure if the company for you or not

5) either based in Shanghai or Sanya (Hainan province)

King Air
23rd May 2007, 17:48
rwong2005:

Are you talking about Spring Airlines in Shanghai?

Btw, I have heard that the CA Cargo and MU Cargo are hiring expat FOs on their fleets.

Amin
23rd May 2007, 18:08
Anonymus6 is correct. The flight schools in US that produce pilots to airlines in China are facing a flight instructor shortage. I know that Sierra academy in california is short of 15 flight instructor and they are offering a First Officer position with an chinese airlines if the instructor stays longer than 15 months on the 737. I know this is true because I talked to the chief pilot regarding this issue. But americans don't want to fly in CHina. I have heard rumors that other schools that are producing chinese students to airlines in china are going to start doing the same thing. How much of it is true.... :confused:

They are not producing enuogh pilots for the airlines. I think we will start to see the doors open for expad FO in few years. Thats my 2 cents

Good Luck:ok:

rwong2005
23rd May 2007, 18:28
King Air:

Yes, Spring Airline is hiring FOs
Very true that Air China Cargo is hiring FO as well but you have got to have 744 rating for that position.

PosClimb
23rd May 2007, 20:54
Rwong,

You have a PM.

Always Moving
25th May 2007, 00:51
In any country, including the USA they will hire captains with Type rating and loads of experience. But they will not hire foreigners without a type rating. Now if you are willing to spread and pay for a type rating a lot of companies will talk to you because now you are talking about saving a lot of money. China, India, Malaysia, Thailand, all Europe, USA, etc.

There is opportunities in China for Instructors but very few for anything else unless you are friends with who is hiring you. If anyone is interesting give me a PM a friend of mine is hiring instructors.