PDA

View Full Version : PPL 45 Hours Break Down

JamesTigris
19th May 2007, 18:26
A question for those with a knowledge of the PPL flight training requirements out there.

What is the precise breakdown of the 45 Hour requirement for flight training?

LASORS 2007:

'at least 45 hours flight time as a pilot of aeroplanes'
of which: ('at a FTO or an accepted registered facility'):

'25 hours Dual Instruction on aeroplanes'
'10 hours Supervised solo flight time on aeroplanes'
(Including '10 hours Supervised solo flight time on aeroplanes' and the X country flight)

This adds up to 35 hours.

Does this mean there are no specific requirements regarding the last 10 hours? Is it simply a minimum of 45 hours in the logbook?

BEagle
19th May 2007, 19:02
The other 10 may be either dual or supervised solo.

foxmoth
20th May 2007, 11:51
There are certain other requirements laid down such as the amount of instrument flying, and you do of course have to cover the whole sylabus, but different people will cover different bits at different speeds. It would be a bit rotten if you had to do say 30 hours dual and 15 solo and covered it all in 45 hours having done 33 hours dual and 12 solo - or even worse 18 hours solo and 27 dual. The 10 hour unspecified allows a little bit of flex - but most people take more than 45 hours anyway.:}

BEagle
20th May 2007, 11:59
"There are certain other requirements laid down such as the amount of instrument flying"

Really?? Not, as far as I know, under JAR-FCL. There used to be, pre-eurocracy...:hmm:

jamestkirk
20th May 2007, 13:52
+ 5 hours solo x co flight.

By coincidence I have just seen in a pooleys syllabus, 2 hours stall spin. That not in lasors????

Slopey
20th May 2007, 14:23
Spinning isn't a requirement of the current syllabus.

(I believe it used to be back in the days, and after the spinning lessons 20-30% of PPL students would drop out - I heard that 3rd hand, was it true? Shame, it's great fun).

If possible, I'd suggest you do at least an hour of spin recovery - never know when it might just save your life, and it's hellova fun ;)

jamestkirk
20th May 2007, 17:15
sorry, i meant stall spin awareness.

foxmoth
20th May 2007, 18:36
Really?? Not, as far as I know, under JAR-FCL. There used to be, pre-eurocracy...

Sorry, picked the wrong example there:uhoh:

Mark 1
20th May 2007, 19:01
As well as the published JARs there are also documents called AMCs (acceptable means of compliance) which are not published online, but form the basis for training organisation's courses.
One example of which is the AOPA PPL syllabus, which is used by a lot of training RFs.
The CAA will check log books to see if the syllabus has been covered adequately against the content of the PPL syllabus, as well as checking that the minimum requirements have been met.
Your flying club should be able to tell you what they work to