PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Luxembourg

mrjamesgroves
19th May 2007, 09:34
Has anyone done this, is it possible in a light aircraft? If so, any tips for when we get there?

mrjamesgroves
19th May 2007, 09:58
And how about Yutz, which looks about 20 miles to the south?

dirkdj
19th May 2007, 12:57
Flying IFR, just follow the black line on the chart.
Flying VFR check the VFR approach charts with reporting points. I don't have them at hand here but they should be in the Belgian AIP accessible on the net.

Holdings over a reporting point may be expected if heavy traffic.

Expect to be parked at the GA parking and a bus will bring you to the main terminal. Don't forget to pay the modest landing fees at the airport office and the handling charges at the Luxair office, otherwise you won't be able to start taxiing for takeoff.

You can take a bus or taxi into town.

stickandrudderman
19th May 2007, 13:00
I to am considering this trip.
Fancy teaming up?
(PA 28 or Cirrus20/22)

BlueRobin
19th May 2007, 13:19
Yup, went there about 4 years ago in a Warrior. The runway is stupidly long. On a wet day with the Luxair 747s landing, the spray around the jumbos is impressive. IIRC the total cost to land and park overnight was something silly like £13.

IO540
19th May 2007, 17:35
I went VFR a while ago, but didn't land (continued straight over the Alps to Trieste).

The relevant bit of the flight was VMC on top at about 5000ft but as usual with VFR a route which is outside CAS had to be planned also, and I did eventually work one out through Belgium that was mostly at about 1000ft.

Belgium is very flat but the thing I recall was that there is significant terrain in Luxembourg and it was quite likely for this to scupper the trip if there is any cloud about. That factor would probably be the limiting one for a VFR flight.

It's easy to get a transit through CAS (Class D/C etc) in Belgium and Lux on a VMC on top flight but a VFR-only pilot would then get snookered above cloud with no way down. Such is VFR...

owenlars
19th May 2007, 17:42
It's a long taxi in. A member of a group I used to be in once set the brakes on fire getting from the runway to where he parked!

the bald eagle
19th May 2007, 19:15
Did it also in a PA38 from Biggin a few years back and like a previous post had said its silly prices but check the fuel price now if its like OST/EBOS then best you arrange a second mortgage

Just coming slightly off this thread -Went in to OST last month got an instruction by ATC to go around as some holiday jet was pratting about on the runway and then wait for it...Got a bill for the privilage on top of the usual lndg fee! And fuel price there sucks - BEST AVOIDED!

BlueRobin
19th May 2007, 20:21
I recall that the GA turnoff is about midpoint along the runway, check the plate for details. That 747 was orbiting about 8 miles on base with me cutting in ahead, he looked awfully close so I went over the threshold at 85 knots and flared all the way baby. Happily this (unintentionally) meant the taxi to the turnoff was brief and we were able to watch the Luxair land.

Nice food, but getting a beer after 10 becomes increasingly difficult.

Bluebeard777
19th May 2007, 21:44
If you want to go to Luxembourg and avoid close encounters with heavy metal, try Noertrange ELNT. A relaxed grass airfield and a nice restaurant in nearby village. The only candidate for the title of "Luxembourg's second largest airport", I believe. :}