PDA

View Full Version : faa and jaa practical exam

jonnyboy102
18th May 2007, 04:41
Hi,

I started my ppl journey 2 months ago in the US working towards an FAA PPL but last week i was told all the checkrides are booked up for over 2 weeks. So I decided to change to JAA, I've done 6 of the exams this week and the last one tomorrow but I'm now wandering what the main difference is regarding the practical exam and the training I've recieved. I know there is no oral exam with the JAA but what else is involved?

Thanks, Jon.

IO540
18th May 2007, 06:45
A 2 week wait for a checkride is reasonable. I've been waiting for weeks for my FAA CPL checkride, and it's normal for UK PPL students to wait for months for their JAA checkride if they are doing it in a nice hazy English summer when the visibility is lousy.

My suggestion would be to define the objective: an FAA or JAA PPL, and then work out the best way to do each one.

No way should any US school be booked up for 2 weeks, but an FAA checkride isn't just that. You have to do some flying with an FAA instructor who signs you off as ready for the checkride.

There is no oral in JAA. The flying in the skills test / checkride is certainly no harder than FAA. Swatting for the 6 exams takes a lot longer.

If you are in the US now, that changes everything. I suggest you walk out of the school (which has clearly treated you very badly) and finish at another one. It sounds like you are in one of the big schools in Florida; there aren't many schools there wshich can do JAA PPLs.

172driver
18th May 2007, 07:01
jonnyboy it sometimes comes down to the preferred examiner being booked up. Happened to me. Try to find another one in the general area and get on with it. Mind you, the oral FAA (to be done prior to the checkride) is a real exam, don't treat it lightly :=

slim_slag
18th May 2007, 08:04
... but I'm now wandering what the main difference is regarding the practical exam...The FAA checkride has more stuff in it than the JAA checkride, so if you have been signed off for the FAA you should be fine for the JAA. I am thinking of things like ground reference manouvers (sp). Your instructor should give you a list, and you should also be able to work it out yourself :)

jonnyboy102
18th May 2007, 18:30
I'm currently in the US. I've done all the requirements for the FAA and JAA PLL but I haven't done any of the JAA manouvers or navigation, are they roughly the same? Its sooooo busy right now in USA there is a huge shortage of CFI's!