PDA

View Full Version : Wild Cats Loose on Dartmoor

WE Branch Fanatic
16th May 2007, 16:01
See here (http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.9051).

At a time when more Frontline Maritime Lynx Flights find themselves involved in overland operations, the training to prepare these personnel for the Frontline is ever more challenging. 702 Squadron, the Maritime Lynx Operational Conversion Squadron, strives to provide training for aircrew and maintainers that is as relevant as possible and with this in mind, a review of the current training for overland operations was undertaken. One clear recommendation was to conduct a detachment aiming to provide a level of familiarisation in this somewhat alien environment.

samuraimatt
16th May 2007, 16:03
And...........................?

seekayess
16th May 2007, 16:26
Yeah! AND???:}

BluntedAtBirth
16th May 2007, 16:31
That steady LZ must be difficult to get used to, what with no pitch and roll...

Razor61
16th May 2007, 17:34
The Navy Lynx fly around Dartmoor very frequently, the fighter evasion is carried out over Exmoor and during this phase it was carried out near Eaglescott (general area), surprised you never saw them WEBF!

WE Branch Fanatic
16th May 2007, 23:22
Eaglescott is a good few miles from mate. However a few months ago I did see a pair of Hawks (RNFSF(FW) or FRADU?) doing something or other in that area with with four (maybe more) Lynx AH7 (847?)

If I'm lucky I'll see one or two Lynxes per week, usually on Wednesdays. In the good old days we had Junglies in the sky frequently, and of course the much loved Sea Jet (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=98152). Alas, no more.....

I thought that the first sentence was worthy of note:

At a time when more Frontline Maritime Lynx Flights find themselves involved in overland operations.....

In other words, ships can achieve an effect ashore, via their helicopter (amongst other means).

Razor61
17th May 2007, 00:17
It's not just the Lynx that fart about at Okehampton.....
http://www.dartmoor-ranges.co.uk/Picture_Library/CU04_0114_002.jpg

Evalu8ter
17th May 2007, 18:58
"In other words, ships can achieve an effect ashore, via their helicopter (amongst other means)"
WEBF absolutely right, as long as that effect is disaster relief or Med/Cas Evac..Other than that, unless you've got a good DAS (and the knowledge, experience & tactics to complement it) you are not going to have an effect on shore. Playing around on Dartmoor does not qualify you for Littoral ops, and nor is an M3M a shield against all ne'er do wells. Good stuff on the Grey Lynx community for joining the party, but unless you're absolutely sure of the threat send an 847 Lynx, please. And as we saw tragically last year, even then you can't be safe all of the time.
So, until the Pony drivers are ready with all the above, a Frigate's effect on shore remains 12Km from the 4.5 gun (and how far the hostages are driven inland...):ok:

vecvechookattack
17th May 2007, 20:32
There are two marks of Lynx in service with 815 NAS, the Mk 8 and Mk 3. Both are based on the same airframe, with a Maximum All up Mass of around 5000kgs. The main difference is in the avionics and communications fit. The Mk 8 is a significant improvement over the Mk 3. It is equipped with a computerised Central Tactical System (CTS) which allows the crew to manage highly complex tactical situations; and a Passive Identification Device (PID) which is a long range infra red camera. Both aircraft can be armed with Sea Skua anti ship missiles, depth charges and Stingray torpedoes, for conventional warfare, but in recent time the role of the aircraft has started to shift, with tasking taking the Maritime Lynx over land much more frequently. To this end there have been some changes to the aircraft required, such as the introduction of Night Vision Goggles, allowing crews greater capability over both sea and land at night. The M3M 0.5” Machine Gun is another recent addition and complements the already superb Lynx arsenal. With this increase in overland operations, the aircraft is being placed in a more hostile environment than previously and a Defensive Aids Suite has been fitted, allowing the Aircraft to detect and defeat IR missiles.

The flexibility and adaptibility of the Maritime Lynx and it’s operators is key to it’s success. The variety of roles it is used for is astonishing; from conventional Anti-Surface and Anti-Submarine warfare to Loadlifting, Search and Rescue and interdiction of drugs runners. Other roles in which the Lynx is used include Counter Terrorism, and increasingly operations over the land such as Reconnaisance and Troop Insertion. In short the Maritime Lynx is one of the most adaptable and versatile military helicopters in the world.

Looking to the future, the Lynx is currently being updated to the “Saturn” fit, which includes an update to the Avionics and Communications fit, and in the longer term, the Squadron’s Mk 3 and 8 aircraft will be replaced by Future Lynx.

I am a little surprised that the headline was "Wildcat" on the loose. The wildcat is not due into service for a few years yet

seekayess
18th May 2007, 02:31
I am a little surprised that the headline was "Wildcat" on the loose. The wildcat is not due into service for a few years yet

Move o'er, mate!

A "lynx" IS a wild cat, innit? :ugh:

c-bert
18th May 2007, 06:59
I am a little surprised that the headline was "Wildcat" on the loose.

Don't we call 'em 'Martlets' anyway? :E

WE Branch Fanatic
30th May 2007, 23:05
Wasn't HMS Argyll's Lynx involved in Operation Barras, the rescue of the RIR troops taken hostage in Sierra Leone?

The answer is yes, according to the book Operation Certain Death - I cannot remember the name of the author. He also states that Argyll's flight deck was used to launch the two Army Lynx AH7s.

clicker
31st May 2007, 19:32
"but this time they would be well away from the comforts of their Squadron buildings at RNAS Yeovilton."

No doubt in a nice hotel in Oakhampton? :)

vecvechookattack
31st May 2007, 23:44
Apparently so......If you beleive lieepedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Barras

Playing around on Dartmoor does not qualify you for Littoral ops,

No, but when you consider that 702/824 spend the majority of their Flying training within 15 miles of the coast then I would argue that the RN Lynx / Merlin fleet are pretty good at Littoral ops. In fact, I'd argue that they were the UK military experts at it.