PDA

View Full Version : Salary for twotter pilot in PNG???

austin power
16th May 2007, 10:37
Hi guys,

Does anyone know the ongoing salary of a twotter Capt in Papua New Guinea? Seams to be lower than anywhere else overseas.

Thanks

Austin

austin power
18th May 2007, 10:13
Let’s say it in a different way. What would you ask for salary if you where flying a DHC-6 and an E-110, 5 weeks on and 3 weeks off in Papua New Guinea? Been in the country 1 year and 3 months with over 6000 hrs, which more than 5000 hrs as PIC, half is float time flown on the West Coast of Canada, 2000 hrs twin turbine with almost a 1000 hrs on DHC-6. Would 2800 US/month after taxes be sufficient for you?

Austin.

Metro man
18th May 2007, 10:58
I would want at least double that to risk my life in a place like that on a daily basis. Why not try the floatplane operator in the Maldives ? Pay is around twice what you're on, much more pleasant surroundings and no mountains or rascals.

It sounds like your employer shares the name of a major low cost carrier in the states, if so you deserve even more because of the Chief Pilot you have to work under.:yuk:

international hog driver
18th May 2007, 13:59
My best mate, life long buddies, best man at the wedding, flying training together, look after each others kids, kind of best mate is flying a DHC6 for basically double that 5on5off sked in another not so elegant part of the world.

So I know he aint lying about the $.

If you have a JAA ticket Zimex is screaming for experienced guys, they even coaxed a couple out of retirement.

If no JAA then FAA is good for AMS who is looking for Angola and rumour has it they have now or are about to go to a 6/6 roster finally catching up with the rest of the oil patch. Maldives would rock for you if you have plenty of time on floats both the Chief Pilots are Aussies for TMA & MAT.

The world is your oyster now

ssangyongs
18th May 2007, 18:19
ex-twin otter pilot here

i earned about RM 4000 p/m (about $1300) flying as F/O in Borneo. but retrenched as a result of domestic rationalization program. they transfer the company to new management so they tell me i had to stop because they prefer guys with more experience. i left and after two weeks they call and want me back because all the experienced pilots left after they get offer (from the new company's sister company, same management) as F/O on a320. i said no because it's obvious they will offer me lower pay because i'm new from school. also i already enrolled for economics course in local university.

their attitude is amazing.

well u can inquire them. Fly Asian Xpress. based in Miri, Malaysia.

austin power
19th May 2007, 07:09
Thanks guys for your inputs!

Nice to realise, that I wasn't creasy to wonder if I was getting underpaid! Just to make sure that you know, we are getting paid on our weeks off as well, compare to some other operators in the world where you only get paid when you are in the country.

I know that Papua New Guinea is a **** place and I have been in other **** places before, but I must say the experience is great and price less! If there was more money to be made I would stay longer, till I could get a job with Cathay. Anyway, I'll see what I can achieve when I go back to work.

Yes Metro, that's the one I'm working in, spot on!

International hog driver, for what stands "AMS" is that the company from the Netherlands?

Thanks Ssangyongs as well.

Austin