PDA

View Full Version : TalkTalk & WiFi

beerdrinker
15th May 2007, 10:34
I have a Talktalk broadband deal. They supplied me with a Speedtouch modem that is connected to my phone line and by USB to my computer.
I want WiFi in the home. How do I go about connecting a WiFi router to the existing setup? And what sort or make of WiFi router is recommended?
Thanks,
Beerdrinker

airborne_artist
15th May 2007, 10:50
BD - the best bet is to get a combined ADSL modem and wifi router - Linksys seems to get good reviews. Others rave about Belkin and Netgear but I have had warranty replacements from both of these cos.

You can then remove the boxes you have already. A wifi router will normally have 4 ethernet ports so you can plug in PCs/laptops that don't have wifi.

boguing
15th May 2007, 11:28
aa is right. But you can't use the usb modem with any router that I'm aware of, ethernet modem, yes, usb no. I've also had problems with newer Netgear stuff. Linksys is a favourite at the moment.

planecrazy.eu
15th May 2007, 12:14
I have never seen a Wireless Router be able to be used with a USB modem, usually they can only be used with RJ45/Ethernet modems, this is because most Cable companies connect there modems via RJ45 and most other ISPS(BT LINE) use USB...

I would say Belkin on that basis we used to get far less of em back at the place i worked than LinkSys. I would second NetGear but they are usually a little more expensive.

You need one with a built in ADSL modem, if you have a large house, try getting a N router or G+ that just the usual G. In the house i am in the reception is pi$$ poor from a G router.

The only other thing i will say is dont assume that the problems are initially with the kit, our wireless router has problems every other week, but its "always" due to our ISP been R£tard£d idiots and decide to change the settings that work back to default every other week, you would think they would get the hint by now...