PDA

View Full Version : Flying to UK from a non-customs & immigration airfield in France

rmdr2
14th May 2007, 13:27
Hi there guys

I am thinking of flying to France for the weekend. My route out of the UK is not a problem. Both airfields have all the necessary customs and immigration facilities.

However, after hopping around some airfields in France, I would eventually like to fly from Saumur (Loire Valley) to the channel Isles. The problem is that Saumur is not a designated customs and immigration airfield.

Some people tell me that I am only allowed to make international flights into and out of customs and immigration airfields. Others tell me that I can make my trip as intended (Saumur to Channel Isles) as long as I submit the appropriate paperwork to the appropriate people at the appropriate time.

However, no-one is able to tell me exactly how.

Any of you GA guys able to shed some light on how to do this? More importantly, any of you guys able to get me in contact with the right people and the correct forms….

Form names/numbers?
Fax/phone numbers?

Many thanks

Rob

S-Works
14th May 2007, 14:08
Outbound flight from France to CI requires nothing more than a flight plan. Once you are in france you can move freely inside france just the same as you can within the UK.

Kirstey
14th May 2007, 14:13
You need to leave France from a customs airfield if you're flying to the CI or mainland UK. Dinard being the obvious choice for the CI.

You can in theory get permission from the Mayor of Samaur granting you an exception. Pas de chance however!!

172driver
14th May 2007, 14:27
While admittedly not 100% sure, my gut feeling is you'll need a customs field, as you will in fact not be going to the UK (part of the EU) but to the CI (not part of EU). Of course they are part of the CTA, but..... I'd say airport of entry/departure (Dinard ?) and flightplan.

Fuji Abound
14th May 2007, 14:42
I was in Saumur last year and a very nice place it is to.

Just watch out that the "controller" isnt on the pumps as well as the tower otherwise fuel can be veeeeery slow.

Tours is just down the road.

We asked before landing at Tours if Customs would want to see us. The tower said "non" so I asked if we could keep rolling on the landing and even offered to pay the landing fees by credit card. Not necessary I was told so we did - and the same on the way back.

You might not be so lucky but I dont suppose you will have to do anything more than park up pay the landing fee and you are on your way. There is nothing at Tours (I am sure there is really, but the airport is deserted).

I thought when I 'phoned Saumur they told me customs were 24 hours notice - but I cant be sure. Worth a check in the AIP or give them a call. If it is, it is simply a matter of telling them when you expect to arrive and asking them to arrange Customs. Customs will not show, but if they have been given notice by the airport that is good enough.

.. .. .. and in answer to your question any flights to or from a non Schengen airport require departure from a Customs designated airport although I cant imagine the French being to bothered.

PS also I am sure Le Mans is 24 hours customs if you want another alternative (permanent customs only for the race) and both probably less busy than Dinard, and certainly more likely to let you do a T and G.

PPS Last yeat the chap in the Tower at Tours spoke pretty good English as well so that should not casue a problem if he is still there.

(Bring us back some wine please, check it has the Fleur de Lys (the local hallmark of superior quality) and try the sparkling - very good it is to. :)

gasax
14th May 2007, 14:56
Generally speaking the French are not too bothered about the non-Schengen business - so you'll get a lot of 'no problem just....'. But legally you do need to clear out from France via a customs airfield. Equally you need to clear in via a customs airfield.

Failing to do so when the flying gendarmes are around can lead to a huge amount of trouble and large fines.

This has happened in the past (in fact a search here should reveal that). Most of the time flying in France is pure pleasure but when the offical machinery starts to grind it really does help to know, understand and abide by the rules (a bit like here really I suppose!).

Fuji Abound
14th May 2007, 15:05
Failing to do so when the flying gendarmes are around can lead to a huge amount of trouble and large fines.

I am NOT suggesting you break the law but you cant be serious?

You are far more likely to get a letter from DGAC via the CAA if you do something they dont like - unless of course you land somewhere in France between your misdemeanor and returning to the UK

Repeat - I am NOT suggesting you do it though.

skydriller
14th May 2007, 18:37

I am NOT suggesting you break the law but you cant be serious?
You are far more likely to get a letter from DGAC via the CAA if you do something they dont like - unless of course you land somewhere in France between your misdemeanor and returning to the UK

Actually the French Flying gendarmes do have a justified reputation, they tend to have clampdowns periodicly and I have personally seen them turn up at larger "portes ouverts" or fly-ins over the summer and check pilot/aeroplane paperwork after landing. It doesnt take much extra effort to stop off at a customs airfield, it doesnt have to be a permanant customs large aerodrome, there are plenty of smaller ones (Eg:Granville) where you fax customs with your intentions 24/12 Hrs before arrival (good idea to check with a call) and they turn up if they want to see you - usually they dont bother though!!

Regards, SD..

derekf
14th May 2007, 19:00
According to the French AIP there is no customs available at Saumur - http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/aip/enligne/PDF_AIPparSSection/VAC/AD/2/0706_AD%202.LFOD.pdf

Suggest landing and having a coffee at Dinard en route to Jersey

IO540
14th May 2007, 19:27
You are far more likely to get a letter from DGAC via the CAA

In my experience ;) this is indeed what happens but there is a loooong delay - 6 months in my case and probably long after you discarded all notes re the flight so if you need to defend yourself you can't. I thus keep all notam listings affecting France for 1 year.