PDA

View Full Version : paying for baggage trolleys

man friday
14th May 2007, 11:07
just flew through easyjet international, oops sorry liverpool, for the first time and was amused to find that i had to pay to unchain a baggage trolley!
is this unique in the uk or do any other regional airports adopt the morrisons approach!

xxx5572
14th May 2007, 11:16
Think about were you are?? Im sure if they did not chain them up, they would be gone overnight!! :}:}

tommyc2005
14th May 2007, 11:24
I've not heard of it in the UK, but putting 1 euro/100 pesetas in the slot at Spanish airports has been going on for years!

It seems a bit pointless doing that at Liverpool though, isn't it more likely that you turn up in the morning to find the trollies propped up by bricks with the wheels gone?! :ok:

man friday
14th May 2007, 12:21
glad i'm not the only one that was thinking along those lines, it was the fear of reprisals from the shell suited mafia that worried me, oh S@*t is that a bad rendition of ferry cross the mersey i can hear

J-Man
14th May 2007, 17:11
Bad rendition? Nah thats just DJ Rankin's ultra fast 'remix' of it

nivsy
14th May 2007, 18:57
hey u dont have to pay at all Spanish airports - baggage trolies are always readily available at Malaga - they even work and are free:=

Married a Canadian
14th May 2007, 20:51
$2 at YYZ for a trolley...of which you get 25 cents back when you return it!

I would have thought that airport trolleys are a neccessity! Ho hum!

pacer142
15th May 2007, 08:48
I would have thought that airport trolleys are a neccessity! Ho hum!

I hardly ever use one, and I find most people hardly ever use one as well. That said, given that those who will want to are mainly "less mobile" charging for them would appear on a similar level to the good old Ryanair "wheelchair levy" in its first form.

Gouabafla
16th May 2007, 18:11
In African airports it's not unusual for trolleys to be free. The catch is that they are already all in the possession of porters who have to be paid exorbitant sums to push your luggage around more slowly than you would do it yourself.

Capt Wannabe
16th May 2007, 21:09
Think about were you are??

xx5572 : This idea is coming to an airport near you very soon ;)

Whilst many may think the idea is all about getting a quick buck (or pound / whatever), I am assured it is more to do with getting the punters to return the trolleys to pre-determined areas rather than just leave them spralled all over the place as they do at the moment :=

Actually - it does make sense.

lplsprog
17th May 2007, 11:38
Capt Wannabee.

Right on the button, it does not cost you anything if you return the trolley to a stack, but you would be surprised how many still abandon them without getting their £1 or Euro back. (Perks for the trolley collectors?):rolleyes:

TFS
17th May 2007, 13:34
As of March 2007, the €1/1 pound baggage trolleys at TFS have gone - they´re all free and causing absolute havoc being abandoned all over the airport parking areas....

PAXboy
17th May 2007, 14:37
Many airports have been charging for trolleys for 20 years or more. The cost of managing them is enormous and the only problem can be not having local coins when you arrive.

I have just come back through JNB and they do not charge which surprises me. Firstly because of having the very smart trolleys that are strong and designed to go up escalators (brilliant) and because the rate at which they disappear must be very high.

Actually, come to think about it, the trolleys were the best thing about the airport.

pacer142
18th May 2007, 08:50
Whilst many may think the idea is all about getting a quick buck (or pound / whatever), I am assured it is more to do with getting the punters to return the trolleys to pre-determined areas rather than just leave them spralled all over the place as they do at the moment :=

A deposit does what you say above, like it does at many supermarkets. A charge doesn't; that's purely a profit motive.

ExSimGuy
20th May 2007, 04:40
Back in '07 (might have changed since then) I arrived in SFO from SYD with a daughter who had been taken ill during the flight so, despite "wheelie" luggage, I needed a trolley.

Cost 50 cents (non-returnable) to unlock a trolley from the stack and it's a well known fact that Brits arriving from Oz do not normally have a couple of US quarters loose in their pockets.;)

However, the machine also accepted credit cards, so I swiped my Barclays Connect card (since got rid of that and dumped the useless gits, but that's another story!) thinking "50c for the trolley, 2 quid for Barclays "processing charge - oh well"

Quite surprised that the 50c chargenevermadeit to my statement - perhaps SFO airport decided it wasn't worth the effort to process it through to Barclays Channel Isles:)