J

Stanziel
14th May 2007, 12:12
:cool:If you want to know about Port Elizabeth, have a look at this thread:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=274015

Stanzie

Mikehotel152
15th May 2007, 08:48
PE isn't the nicest town in SA, but it's in a nice area. Personally, as I grew up in Cape Town - the most beautiful City in the World - I'm biased against Jo'burg/Pretoria but the flying schools up there are highly rated. Was thinking about doing my PPL in George/Knysna area, which is a fantasticly beautiful part of SA! :cool:

Irishwingz
15th May 2007, 10:55
JP

I sent you a PM so feel free to contact me.

I cannot rate Algoa club, the surrounding area and staff and atmosphere any higher. I enjoyed every second of it. I did my PPL there in 2003.

Do yourself a favour and search the African Aviation Forum under 'Algoa' or 'Irishwingz' and you'll see plenty about it.....

later:ok:

Leezyjet
15th May 2007, 11:59
I'll second what Irishwingz said about Algoa. I did my PPL in 2005 and have been back numerous times to bash some hours in. Although I might not be going back for a while as I'm starting full time ATPL ground school in a couple of weeks at London Met !!. :uhoh:

Great club. You will not be disappointed if you go there.

Don't read too much into the crime thing posted in the other thread. I have been to South Africa about 15 times, and never had anything untoward happen, but then I take all the sensible precautions one should when in another/strange country, however most of the crime that a tourist would come in to contact with is the same kind of petty crime that would and does happen in your own home town/country.

If you run a search on Algoa, you will see some of my posts too.

Feel free to PM with any questions you may have.

:)

Nipper2
15th May 2007, 20:23
Some of the best flying training I have ever done. Ask specifically to fly with Ivanhoe. She is the maddest, baddest flying instructor I have ever had and I learned more from her in three hours than I have from a legion of flying instructors in the UK.

You don't get to do circuits inside the airfield fence and never above 200 feet in a Cessna 172R in many places in the UK.....

Go for it.

shy_one
16th May 2007, 06:59
Hi

Having lived in Port Elizabeth for more than 10 years some time back. It is not known as the windy city for nothing. PE is the only place I have ever seen a C150 flying backwards over the ground. I believe that you can do vertical circuts there.

PE was and proberly still is a nice place (I have a sister still living there and when she was here in the UK at XMAS , she made no mention of any serious crime)

Shy_one

Heliport
16th May 2007, 12:10
PPL training/ SFH in South Africa (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=174822)