View Full Version : passwords

TOT
14th May 2007, 10:20
a few years ago i stored some info on microsoft word and excel

- probably in 2003. not sure which version

the info was backed /copied onto a cd/dvd

now (2007) trying to recover the info, using later verison of microsoft and

different computer of the cd/dvd. none of the info will read

message always says incorrect password. question. will passwords "transfer across different versions and computers"

is there any way around the pass words?

thanks

unclenelli
14th May 2007, 16:18
Is this a list of frequently used password (i.e. for surfing websites) or is it passwords to unlock the Word & Excel files?

If it's unlocking Excel, let me know & I'll PM you some scripts that can unlock them (PS Mirco$oft tell lies when they say "remember your passwords, as data cannot be recovered without" - It Can!!!!)

Saab Dastard
14th May 2007, 16:25
TOT,

If you can see that the files exist on the CD, then they are there. Can you copy the files to your PC? Do they have a .doc / .xls extension? When you double-click the files does Word / Excel start?

If the answers are all yes, then you have not got the right password. The password is associated with the file, not the version of the application, so passwords are not affected by the version of Office.

If the answers are not all yes, then you probably have corrupted files - the CD/DVD is corrupt, or not readable on your PC.

If you have lost the password(s), try googling for "word excel lost password"

SD

TOT
14th May 2007, 18:54
hi i have two important files i am trying to open

the pc can see them , but because i have lost the pass words , cant read/ open them
the message comes up "you have entered wrong password"

one is a word file , i.e. ext .doc

the other excel file,i.e ext .xls

many thanks

planecrazy.eu
15th May 2007, 09:19
Loosing passwords to Office 2003 is a tricky one, i havent found a way to do it yet, i have done the same thing may a time...

There are companies out there that charge that claim they can do it, most of them only charge if they do unlock the file....

I am guessing there are ways in *nix to assist in the unlocking/decryption of the file???

Not too sure really, i had a great little tool for Office 2000 that works a treat, but M$ are a little smarter these days.

airborne_artist
15th May 2007, 10:34
What happens if you try to open the file using OpenOffice Calc?

planecrazy.eu
16th May 2007, 10:07
OpenOffice Calc is designed to open .xls just as excell would, so guess what happens?

You guessed it "Enter Password"

Things would be worse if Calc couldnt detect the password as all it would open is the Encrypted data in the spreadsheet.

The only way to recover the data is to bruteforce the password, or to decrypt the encryption.

I am sure there is some person on here who understand cryptology or "hacking" better that I, so see what they think.