PDA

View Full Version : Seating - Crashworthy or not

Freewheel
14th May 2007, 03:53
We have guides to set up our desks, workstations, cars, bicycles and almost everything else, but I've never seen any guidelines/diagrams/advice about setting up a helicopter cockpit that was more helpful than "set it up to suit yourself".

If there's something out there, can somebody post it here for all? In the absence of anything publishable, those on the forum with experience in cockpit design, comparison of helicopter types, assisting others starting anew with a type, those with ongoing problems or returning from problems may be able to help us all to prolong our careers, reduce our stress and concentrate on the task at hand.

Who knows, we might even have agreement between NickLappos and Helicomparator. (The time and date will be noted in perpetuity).

I'll start then,

I've tried a number of approaches with varying levels of success, but generally speaking a lower cushion height that is comfortably close to the cyclic cruise position produces more comfort for me. This has my thighs at around, or slightly more than 90 degrees from my torso. Works well if you have enough tilt in your seat to provide support. I generally place pedals to suit my thigh height, though I'll have the reach longer than most. If I have brakes to operate I'll go a bit longer so I'm not trying to roll left when braking.....