PDA

View Full Version : Passengers spend eight hour delay ON the aircraft.

G-CPTN
13th May 2007, 23:14
Radio reports of passengers expecting to fly on Sunday 13th from Newcastle (UK) to Egypt spending eight hours waiting for repairs before being told the flight was cancelled. Police were called to deal with the unrest.
FJE620 Scheduled to depart EGNT 12:00 to SHARM EL SHEIKH FLIGHT CANCELLED

derekl
14th May 2007, 00:38
If true, I venture to suggest that police should have been called to deal with the carrier.

Having said that, I once had a similar experience when flying to SFO with the World's favourite. We sat on the aircraft so long that the crew gallantly decided to serve the lunches anyway. That which I expected to eat and drink at about FL330 over the pond was solemnly consumed while sitting at the gate at LHR, a slightly bizarre experience to say the least.

We finally departed on another aircraft after about six hours.

ok1
14th May 2007, 00:50
At one stage police had to be called to calm the situation on board the Flyjet plane which was bound for the Egyptian resort of Sharm el-Sheikh.
Airport staff blamed a technical fault and unidentified luggage for the delays before a passenger also went missing.
It is not yet known when the re-scheduled flight will depart.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/tyne/6652615.stm

HotDog
14th May 2007, 03:26
If a passenger went missing, there must have been access to the terminal, one assumes? So why were they allegedly stuck on board?

MarcJF
14th May 2007, 04:41
Maybe they never got on in the first place?

manintheback
14th May 2007, 07:45
My personal record is a touch over 5 hours with United at Heathrow. Perfect start to a flight to SanFrancisco.

XSBaggage
14th May 2007, 11:43
Got stuck once (I think in 1994) on a QF flight LHR-BKK-SYD on the ground at BKK for 8 hours. Taxied away from terminal, turned onto runway, turned off again and parked at a remote stand with a tech PA system. Tried once more and then parked at the same stand and had to wait for an aircraft arriving from Perth with a part. Missed SYD's curfew cut off so had to go to MEL first (flight continued there after SYD anyway) and wait it out again, but at least we could disembark there.
Not pleasant by any means but no hint of a riot and no police or anything like that needed. Maybe 13 years ago pax were less volatile or had lower expectations?

XSB

G-CPTN
14th May 2007, 14:37
It seems the discrepancy was caused by a miscount.
http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/chroniclelive/eveningchronicle/tm_headline=holiday-hell-for-geordie-flyers%26method=full%26objectid=19101170%26siteid=50081-name_page.html
Just how long can you keep passengers 'embarked' before their human rights are breached?
WRT the 'missing' passenger, did they not do a roll-call? Or is that not allowed? (They could have done it row by row. Or was the baggage-count wrong?)