PDA

View Full Version : Monitor sizes

Keef
13th May 2007, 17:22
My antique and trusty CTX CRT monitor is starting to show signs of its age (like, it needs a good whack on the side from time to time to stop it flickering). I decided it's time to replace it, and to go for one of those newfangled LCD jobs.

I reckoned the same size as the present CRT monitor would be right. I couldn't remember what size it is (19 inch or 21 inch), so I got out my tape measure. It's exactly 18 inches from corner to corner (according to said tape). Now I know I didn't buy an 18 inch, and I didn't think these things were prone to shrinking, so what gives?

I've ordered a 19 inch LCD on the basis it will be at least as big as this one screenwise. If it measures 16 inches, do I have the right to yell, or did I miss out somewhere on reading about the devaluation of the inch?

HughMartin
13th May 2007, 17:38
Hello Keef,
You should find that a 19" flat screen is exactly that - 19" of viewable picture from corner to corner. Both of mine are 19" HPs but different models and are exactly 19". Sleep easy.

Gertrude the Wombat
13th May 2007, 17:51
18" viewable sounds like a 19" tube.

But more to the point you should be considering the resolution.

My 19" CRT is currently running at 1280 x 1024, so whatever the number of inches I wouldn't want to replace it by a flat screen with fewer pixels.

(In fact when I bought a new computer recently I bought a new flat screen as well ... and then passed on the new flat screen to another family member with the old computer, keeping the old CRT monitor to use with my new computer. No doubt the day will come, as flat screens continue to be developed but CRTs probably don't much, but so far I've never seen a flat screen that is as good as a CRT.)

Saab Dastard
13th May 2007, 17:52
Keef, I'd write to your Euro MP and complain about how inches just ain't what they used to be since the EEC came along.

You sure you didn't get a 17" monitor? You know, with age, these things just grow on you. ;)

SD

Keef
13th May 2007, 18:07
SD, you may just have the answer there. I know the previous one was a 17 inch and I thought I'd decided to go for something bigger when I bought the CTX, in recognition of my failing eyesight and cognitive abilities. It's lasted me about 7 years, so I can't complain. Anyway, it's now an 18 inch CRT and I don't remember watering it, but then...

Thanks, Hugh and Gertrude.

The 19 inch LCD is 1280 x 1024 with .294mm dot pitch, 8ms response, 400 thingies brightness, and 700:1 contrast. Response time isn't a big deal because I don't watch videos on it, and a slightly smaller dot pitch meant a dramatic increase in price, so I'll risk it.

If the LCD is 'orrible, I can always relegate it to the Linux machine (which has an antediluvian 14 inch thing connected to it) and tackle the CTX monitor with my trusty soldering iron. That usually scares electronic equipment into obedience.

Gertrude the Wombat
13th May 2007, 20:26
The 19 inch LCD is 1280 x 1024 with .294mm dot pitch, 8ms response, 400 thingies brightness, and 700:1 contrast. Response time isn't a big deal because I don't watch videos on it, and a slightly smaller dot pitch meant a dramatic increase in price, so I'll risk it.

Yeah, like I said, they're getting better all the time. It was a year ago that I didn't much like what was on offer.

frostbite
13th May 2007, 21:31
From your 'fault remedy' I would suggest ten minutes with your trusty soldering iron might refresh the parts a fist doesn't reach.

Re-solder all the pins on the base of the eht transformer - I'm sure you can identify it. Odds better than 50/50, that's the culprit.

Keef
13th May 2007, 23:37
Might just do that ;)
R TKS 73 G3OIT

Loose rivets
14th May 2007, 00:35
Yep, a 19" gives about 18" of glass.

As far as I know, the problem with flat screens is that they can't multi-synch. Tell me if I'm out of date on this one. I like to be able to do a lot of work at 1024...in fact most of it. Pix and CAD I'll likely push up to 1280.

I always found higher resolutions very tedious to use, but for some, needs must.

Anyway, is there a flat screen that does not have a "native resolution"? So fine that it can be changed without a major degrading of quality ?

Diatryma
14th May 2007, 02:29
18" viewable sounds like a 19" tube.

But more to the point you should be considering the resolution.

So Gertrude I guess what you are saying is that size doesn't really matter - it's quality that counts?????

Di :cool: