PDA

View Full Version : Visions and empowerment?

Biggus
13th May 2007, 10:43
Are all our leaders, at least RAF, become religious fanatics/converts - they all seem to be having 'visions'.

Empowerment also seems to be the latest 'buzz-word'. Personally I am all for it, but if responsibility is to be pushed as low as possible why does it still take a Gp Capt to authorise air travel in UK, a 1* in Europe and a 2* further afield? Or has that policy changed and I haven't been agile and adaptable enough to keep abreast of the latest thinking?

Could be the last?
13th May 2007, 12:01
Unless you are a civil serpant and you can just about self auth anything....:ugh:

The Helpful Stacker
13th May 2007, 18:45
Isn't empowerment just a jazzed up word for sloping shoulders used by senior ranks when they don't want to do what their paid to do?

Thats what it seems to be at Odious.:rolleyes:

Chris Kebab
13th May 2007, 19:01
Don't know where you work Could Be but the (MoD) civil servants who work near me can self auth absolutely nothing.

Even if they could i'm at a bit of a loss as to this constantly comparing the CS with the military. I certainly wouldn't want to do most of their jobs.

stickmonkeytamer
13th May 2007, 22:53
Can we be "empowered" with JPA rather than having the Spanish Inquisition whenever we go away???:ugh:

SMT

MadAxeMan
14th May 2007, 00:16
Biggus, et al. I'm for empowerment too, but, like the rest of the embarrassment that is Bliar's Britain, it is a sham. A glitzy headline with little substance, no direction and no clue how to implement it. Moreover, it is one of so many, similarly desparate initiatives. JPA, EAW, AIR Cmd, Tac Recognition Flashes, Operational Fitness Tests, JPA (I know that I have already mentioned that one, but it is such a doozy I thought it deserved mentioning twice.) What a shame, the RAF used to be the envy of the world, now... well... it can't even keep it's brightest stars, need I say more?

(>|<)

Brian Abraham
14th May 2007, 01:20
Seems the more things change the more they remain the same.

My Lord,
If I attempted to answer the mass of futile correspondence which surrounds me, I should be debarred from the serious business of campaigning...
So long as I retain an independent position, I shall see no officer under my command is debarred by attending to the futile driveling of mere quill-driving from attending to his first duty, which is and always has been to train the private men under his command that they may without question beat any force opposed to them in the field.
- Wellington, To the Secretary of State for War during the Peninsular Campaign

Load Toad
14th May 2007, 01:23
I worked for years in a big corporation with a signifcant logo. I left when I got fed up of highly paid managers with no ability or sense destroy the business whilst making sure their own pockets were well lined.

I learned a lot about New Speak at that time and I can advise that empowerment means; having the responsibility for everything but the authority to do nothing.

It allows the higher paid people above to do nothing but to say that the people below have been told they have the power to do it. Therefore when something fails blame can be put on the collective lower ranks whilst the upper ranks are insulated from any nasty fall out.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
14th May 2007, 02:14
The more I read threads like this, the more it seems as if you're all becoming like another big American corporation. That's unfortunately where I ply my trade so I've seem what those places are like and if my feelings are correct, God help you all. :(

Brian Abraham
14th May 2007, 06:34
Local telly ran a doco on corporations and used the UN mental health check list by which to score them and came up with the following,

1. Failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviours

2. Incapacity to experience guilt

3. Reckless disregard for the safety of others

4. Callous unconcern for the feelings of others

5. Incapacity to maintain enduring relationships

6. Deceitfulness: Repeated lying and conning others for profit

Diagnosis: Psychopath

See Monsanto, after the GM seed fiasco, is now out to patent the genic make up of pigs, so if you breed pigs guess who you'll have to pay. :*

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! - thats exactly what I said after 27 years corporate. Better get used to it though as the American multinationals will rule the world - if they don't already.