View Full Version : pilots,engineers,fa's and tattoos

lordofthewings
13th May 2007, 10:24
Something a little different..Where do people with tattoos stand in the current environment of aviation...Particulary the tats that are visible to the public...

speedbirdhouse
13th May 2007, 10:44
Quote-

"tats that are visible to the public..."

-----------

From the perspective of a FA at the rat. They can't be.

Peter Fanelli
13th May 2007, 13:01
But that would be discrimination.
And we all know discrimination is illegal in Australia.
Isn't it.
:hmm:

Capt Fathom
13th May 2007, 23:14
Discrimination?

Being asked to 'cover-up' and not to come to work naked! Is that discrimination?

I'm sure tattoo's do not change the way a person does their job. However, it's the public perception that requires certain behaviour.

404 Titan
13th May 2007, 23:39
Peter Fanelli

Wrong.

Grooming standards aren’t covered by the anti-discrimination laws. If your employer has a no visible tattoos policy then it is completely legal, just as they may have no outrageously coloured hair policy etc.

J430
14th May 2007, 01:50
Fair enough too!

J:ok:

nike
14th May 2007, 02:45
This is already being discussed in a very interesting thread started way back in 2001 in the interviews, jobs and sponsorship forum...

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=130632

bizzybody
14th May 2007, 04:35
I have tats.... lol quite a few actually and if someone came and worked for me with tats i would hire them based on their performance nothing else. Some of my pilots have tats and at the end of the day who cares. If i had FA's with tats i wouldnt care

this is just my thoughts

Howard Hughes
14th May 2007, 04:41
I would have thought tatts were a prerequisite these days for flight attendants...;)

MinimaNoContact
14th May 2007, 05:24
Well, interesting piercings are... :E

Lasiorhinus
14th May 2007, 06:42
Discrimination based on things people have no control over, that's bad. Discrimination based on things people do have control over, is reasonable.

People choose to get tattooed, even if it was a rash decision made in a drunken stupor twenty years ago. Getting something discreet that can be covered up is one thing, getting something prominent that is clearly visible while wearing professional clothing is another. If you do have tattoos, be prepared that high-profile companies such as jet operators might not be that keen on having you as a public face of their company.

But you knew that when you got the tattoo, right?

Howard Hughes
14th May 2007, 07:07
What about cultural tattoos? Which may incude facial tattoos! :8
eg: As worn the inhabitants of many South Pacific islands.

Milt
14th May 2007, 07:25
For those unfortunates with prominent tatts don't be surprised if those without tatts keep asking you
"When did they let you out and what was your sentence?"

J430
14th May 2007, 08:05
Howard

You know the answer.....so why ask!:} It will only cause trouble!:ouch:

J

Jnr380
14th May 2007, 09:49
LOTW,

Ive already done my research as im dying to get a tattoo on my upper arm. From what i have read on the net and talked to people about, the opinions so far point to "DONT GET ONE".

The airline industry is still very conservative (not necessary Australia) and them noticing a tattoo (whether through company doctor or otherwise) it just gives them another reason to say no to hiring you. (They will never tell you its because of your tattoo). Its all part of their "professionalism" and how a pilot should act and look like in the eyes of the public.

And most pilots wear a white shirt so something dark should stand out in natural light. Its up to you at the end of the day. Although there is not much threads about it from what i saw.

kiwi chick
27th Jul 2007, 01:43
Bit old this thread, but for what it's worth:

do what I did. Get a tattoo but get it where you can CHOOSE to let people see it or not - without having to wear a full-body flight suit. ;)

pakeha-boy
27th Jul 2007, 01:54
kiwi chick...so where is it....and can I see it????

kiwi chick
27th Jul 2007, 02:03
Hahaha!

first: definitely.

second: yep, in summer

third: if you ever catch me in a bikini, possibly

;)

nike
27th Jul 2007, 02:05
you can chuck a pic on the photo thread :) the boys won't mind

kiwi chick
27th Jul 2007, 02:07
oh, i could, could i?!

i'd bet you boys wouldn't know what it was... :cool:

tinpis
27th Jul 2007, 02:47
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/tinpis/tattoo-1.jpg

:E

kiwi chick
27th Jul 2007, 02:59
Hahahaha!

If i had a camera... it would still be difficult to catch! Tis on my lower back.

And it MAY have wings... :ok:

tinpis
27th Jul 2007, 03:13
http://images.google.com.au/url?q=http://riannanworld.typepad.com/my_weblog/images/tattoo_1.jpg&usg=AFQjCNFXhjWZnNoiMY1Xg-aKi7L0mp8Y0g

noexcessivecranking
27th Jul 2007, 03:48
I'm sure I saw that guy serving coffee up in First Class the other day ... :ok:

kiwi chick
27th Jul 2007, 03:49
Hahahaha! Kinda guy you'd be proud to take home to Mum.

If your Mum was Marilyn Mansen.

Jet_A_Knight
27th Jul 2007, 04:17
Tinpis....I sometimes look like that on the inside after flyin' all night:{

Naughty S
27th Jul 2007, 06:41
I knew that tins picture of my father in law would come back to haunt me one day :ok:

Ellen White
29th Jul 2007, 05:21
I once met a guy at the pub. After a few drinks we went back to his place and he showed me his tatoo.

It said;

WELCOME TO JAMACA, HAVE A NICE DAY :E

Even had the little blue smilie on the end,,,,, Hmmmmmm, What a nice guy. :)

Nikai
29th Jul 2007, 08:06
Surely for those aspiring for the airlines the standard corporate rules would apply? Tattoos & piercings shouldn't be visible whilst wearing standard business dress, hair should be a natural looking colour etc

I guess that attitudes about visitble tatts might be more flexible in other areas of the aviation world, but personally I'm glad mine can be hidden if required.

29th Jul 2007, 11:47
KC it wouldn't be a 727 now would it?

kiwi chick
30th Jul 2007, 01:20
Hahaha! :E

I weigh 50kgs... there's not a lot of room for one of them on my body ;)

But why do you ask?! Did you have an encounter with somebody who does? :oh:

30th Jul 2007, 01:24
Um - well - yes - believe it or not - and she wieghs about the same. :)

kiwi chick
30th Jul 2007, 01:31
Ohhhh.... was it dark...?!

[furiously tries to cast her mind back to encounters in the dark with south island pilots when she may have had her tattoo on display]

surely there cannot be two of us... ;)

Jabawocky
30th Jul 2007, 08:34
Come on Kiwi Chick, be a sport and put us all out of our anticipation......post ya pick!

And if its really a 727......:ok: thats commitment to ya trade!:ok:

J

30th Jul 2007, 09:06
Ii refuse to answer anymore on the grounds that it WILL incriminate me.

Except to say that it wasn't in the deep South and it wasn't dark

Defenestrator
30th Jul 2007, 14:00
A good mate mate was accepted into CX a few years back with a monster of a tat on his bisep. Goes with the "as long as no-one can see it' theory. Beyond that they'd have been barking not to have taken him in. Top driver and a good bloke to boot.

kiwi chick
30th Jul 2007, 21:56
Ii refuse to answer anymore on the grounds that it WILL incriminate me. Except to say that it wasn't in the deep South and it wasn't dark

Now I'm starting to get worried... ;) hehe

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x105/kiwiflygirl/tattoo.jpg

sadly tis not a 727 - but I AM dedicated! :ok:

I might add this was taken at office job hiding behind partition hoping like hell that boss would not pick this particular moment to walk through the door - or the wife of the dude taking the photo

Jnr380
30th Jul 2007, 22:51
Well Guys i bit the bullet a month ago and decided stuff it i'll a tatt!!!! Here it is

http://a320.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/100/l_eac18e3a6a6ca97536d022c53322115f.jpg (http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=204098113&albumID=0&imageID=121980)

KaptinZZ
30th Jul 2007, 23:50
Does this mean that I can't bare my butt in the aisle and show all pax my tattoo of a fox chasing rabbits up my (rabbit) hole.

That's a bit unreasonable.

kiwi chick
31st Jul 2007, 00:16
You can on MY plane :E

Jabawocky
31st Jul 2007, 00:36
Kiwi Chick:ok::ok:

Thats what I call a top sheila, one who is brave enough to go the distance!

Now if you are a feather weight of 50kg, thats not a big plane at all:E

So what is it you fly my dear k1w1?

And why is it 123567 might be so worried?

J:ok:

KaptinZZ
31st Jul 2007, 01:04
Very charitable of you kiwi chick. Perhas you should PM me!!

It was pretty outrageous, but very funny , when I had it done as a young RAAF man a long time ago.

The guys used to pi$$ themselves when I bent over (not to pick up the soap) to dry my feet. Communal showers in the barracks in those days.

kiwi chick
31st Jul 2007, 01:16
when I bent over (not to pick up the soap)

C'mon... I've heard about you military guys ;)

No it's not a huge plane, lol! It may turn into a B52 if I don't look after myself tho :eek:

As for 123567, hmmmmm - I need a few more details from him, I think I'm more worried than him, :suspect: after all, I have a reputation to protect! (So long as I was good... :E)

I fly a wee cherokee, rather befitting to my size. With a photographer beside me for ballust :ok:

flyboy_33
31st Jul 2007, 03:35
Out of curiosity. My partner has some marks on her arms from her younger days and we were thinking of getting some tastefull tats that would help take away from the scars. Would it be easeier to have the tats or the scars if she wanted to head into the industry? May not be possible to cover up the either except with a long sleeve shirt. and no not needle marks.

KC very nice tat. I would be assuming along the lines o either a spit or a mustang but not quite positive.

kiwi chick
31st Jul 2007, 03:40
Well done Flyboy 33!! Top marks!

As for covering the scars, ****e, i wouldn't try and do that with a tattoo :uhoh:

Not only does it hurt (and I would imagine more so on scar tissue) but I don't think it would "take" properly bearing in mind the inconsistency of the surface.

As for future job prospects, I'm not sure I would want to work for somebody who would discriminate based on some scars? Are they offensive?

(Unless of course they WERE needles marks, then I'd tell the applicant to F :mad: K off as well)

Hope this helps?

flyboy_33
31st Jul 2007, 03:50
The artist we have been talking with has said he can incorporate the tat around the scars while not properly on them but neatly covering around them. Lets just say she had a rough partner for a while. But yeah she has a tat already on the other arm that is a meyen birth mark. Just got to save the pennies for the bigger tat. Of course on the condition that I am allowed to get my tat as well. Mine will be a wolf across my back. big, expensive, and yes I am very aware of the pain factor. prob close to 10-15 hrs tat work!!!

kiwi chick
31st Jul 2007, 04:06
**** sorry dude. There's some pricks out there for sure. :mad:

Tat sounds fab - is it your first?!

I ask because they're addictive... I've got three!! I would get more but I'm running out of places to put them discretely - but I REALLY want a helo somewhere :E

flyboy_33
31st Jul 2007, 04:11
I will not post my reply to your helo :ouch: is what I think I would get back. and yes it would be my first. will prob get it done in a couple of stages. but have the one design overall. And for those that think I am rushing into this. I have waited for 8 years to find the right artist and the rightr design that I like and that will look good for years to come. I am not rushing into anything.

KC don't worry I got the last laugh with the :mad: bastard!!!

kiwi chick
31st Jul 2007, 04:36
Good on ya boy. :D Not that I condone violence := but i say again, good on ya.

Helo comment: yeah i'm one step ahead of ya there ;) somewhere where a fixed wing could only dream of fitting :E

hehehe...

KaptinZZ
31st Jul 2007, 04:59
Kiwi Chick, this is your lucky day, because I am a tattooist and I could put that helo just wherever you want it, and maybe even a few places you
don't!! :hmm::ok:

Problem is I'm in Asia and you're in NZ??!! How could this work?

kiwi chick
31st Jul 2007, 05:20
LMAO!! A tattooist huh? ;) How many times have I heard that line? :rolleyes:

As many as "don't worry, I'm a Doctor and this is PER-fectly normal..." :E

Dont you get perks in your job?!

31st Jul 2007, 08:02
Just to settle things - and keep everyones' reputation intact -

Right spot wrong tatoo - but very cool and very similar, :ok:

AerocatS2A
31st Jul 2007, 08:17
I would be assuming along the lines o either a spit or a mustang but not quite positive.
I thought it looked more like a Typhoon. Oh well, they all look similar from that angle (aircraft that is ;).)

HyaenasPT6
31st Jul 2007, 09:16
Discrimination based on things people have no control over, that's bad. Discrimination based on things people do have control over, is reasonable.

Where dose that leave us now? A few hormones and a slip of the knife and you can change ya sex like you change ya mind :E.