PDA

View Full Version : Re Sony DVD region codes

13th May 2007, 06:09
There was a post yesterday by EPIRB, looking for DVD region info.
There is a program available to buy, called "DVD regionfree"
You can buy it here, or download a free trial version.
http://http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-region-free.htm (http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-region-free.htm)
I've used it for years, on various laptops, and never had a problem.

Note to Mods.
This is a legal program, which doesn't infringe any copyright issues with DVD's

BEagle
13th May 2007, 06:37
How can it not infringe copyright if it facilitates copying of 'protected' DVDs and CDs?

IO540
13th May 2007, 07:09
These programs have been around for years, ever since CSS was cracked.

Funnily enough their most useful feature is that you can strip off the tags that prevent fast-forward through the adverts etc.

13th May 2007, 07:47
How can it not infringe copyright if it facilitates copying of 'protected' DVDs and CDs?

It's like a lot of things you can buy. They can be legally purchased and owned, but it's how you use them that can be against the law.

You can buy DVD copying software from PC world, Amazon etc. If these were illegal, I'm sure they would have been prosecuted years ago.

How about Windows XX. You can use a computer to "cut and paste" part of a copyrighted document, so does that mean that Bill Gates is selling an illegal product?

Background Noise
13th May 2007, 08:56
Admittedly he was asking for a 'crack' which implies a bit of skullduggery but isn't region code changing built in to the drive and/or windows anyway? From my coputer, right click on the cd/dvd drive, properties, hardware, slect the right drive, properties, dvd region tab - usually gives you 5 chances to change the region code. That's how my laptop came configured anyway.

13th May 2007, 10:28
B.N

yes, it is usually 5 changes, after which it locks to the region code for the last DVD played.
The program I mentioned above, bypasses the region coding on the computer (which is totally legal to do), so allows any DVD to be played.
It even works if the 5 changes have been made, and the PC is locked to one region.

What BEagle was refering to was "CSS Free", which is supplied at the same time as DVD region free. This program allows copying of encrypted DVD's.

green granite
13th May 2007, 14:11
For most DVD players you can change the region from the remote or even change it to play all regions. Just google a suitably worded search.

terrain safe
13th May 2007, 22:07
ASFKAP

I don't know what country you are in but in the UK it is in fact illegal to make any copy of a DVD, for backup purposes or otherwise. Why? Because you have to break the CSS to copy a protected movie and that is against the law. AFAIK!

However I suspect that making a copy of a dvd that the kids watch to protect it will not generally cause any problems.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2003/20032498.htm#24 refers.

Basil
13th May 2007, 22:14
I'd say it is perfectly reasonable to crack the region restriction, particularly on a laptop.
One purchases a portable machine to take anywhere in the world, but wait, it's region restricted; a most unreasonable imposition.

Whether it's legal or not I dunno :O

Tinstaafl
14th May 2007, 18:48
Try www.rpc1.org for information about removing the region protection coding on your machine.

rugmuncher
15th May 2007, 14:13
The majority of Sony laptops have a Matsu****a (panasonic) DVD drive.

These WILL NOT be able to be hacked to allow the use of programs like : any dvd, dvd region free, ccs free etc!

It is to do with the RPC1 & 2 setting in the firmware, and as such further "development" to overcome these issue is not being pursued by software"engineers".

Whatever you do,,,, DO NOT change the region settings to anything other than your home region when you only have the last change remaining, otherwise you will be locked into the other region permanently!

Have a search here for Sony specific chat:
http://sonytr.siliconpopculture.com/viewtopic.php?t=6975&highlight=dvd+region

IO540
15th May 2007, 20:28
There are two issues here: the region code and the content protection.

The region code is enforced by the DVD drive itself. The drive firmware can usually be hacked, and many drives have an easy hardware mod (cut 1 PCB track, etc) which removed region coding. It is after all in the interests of DVD drive manufacturers to not make users' life hard.

Up to about 2002 the region code in PC drives was enforced by the player software. One cannot buy such drives now, though I guess secondhand ones should be on Ebay. I used to have one, a Pioneer; got rid of it because it would not play most writeable DVDs.

The content protection is something else; it is a straight data encryption system and the decoding is done by software running in the player (or in the case of a PC, by the main processor). This was always going to be cracked eventually, simply because the machine is open to running debugging code, etc. This is what de-css does. Hi definition DVDs have already been cracked, despite having a much stronger scheme - again because the "system" is open.

Sony own big chunks of the music etc business and they go to extra trouble to prevent copying. That's why we have the protected memory sticks, the fancy firmware in their DVD drives, etc. I would never buy a Sony laptop now; for this reason and also because "Sony=quality" has beed dead for about 10 years - nowadays Sony stuff is crap quality Chinese contract made stuff unless you buy near the top of the price range.

HowlingWind
15th May 2007, 21:55
The majority of Sony laptops have a Matsu****a (panasonic) DVD drive.

These WILL NOT be able to be hacked to allow the use of programs like : any dvd, dvd region free, ccs free etc!I have had a number of Sony VAIO laptops with Matsu****a drives. I have used, and continue to use, AnyDVD (and a companion product, AnyDVD Mobile) on a regular basis to do everything many here are claiming is illegal or impossible or improper or whatever.

Just to add a bit of factual information here, since it would otherwise appear to be a bit scarce.

PPRuNe Pop
15th May 2007, 22:10
Unless I am entirely wrong, and this case, I do not think I am. You can copy a CD, tape or other media if it is for your 'own personal use' only! This was decreed during a test case in the courts. Where and when, I do not recall.

This will help but there are other instances. Indeed, in a landmark case, a Hollywood action was withdrawn as a result of similar rulings.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,115021/article.html

DaveO'Leary
17th May 2007, 16:26
my HP Pavillion...I can change the region codes (I think) twice. After that I'm stuck with the last region code setting. Although the nice people at HP have a fix to go back to region 2 (UK) one can contact them via their site.