PDA

View Full Version : Refilling Ink Cartridges Dell/HP

Bendigo
13th May 2007, 06:03
I have a Dell Photo 944 printer

- does anyone know of a kit that works to refill the ink cartridges
any tricks to it if there is a kit around

Also have a HP Officejet 6310 (cartridge numbers 95 and 98)

- same Qs as above really

Thanks in advance - pretty expensive buying the new ones !

Tosh McCaber
14th May 2007, 07:29
Go to your local Cartridge World- they'll supply good quality refilled cartridges- they work just fine on my HP printer, at half or less the price. Much better than scuttering around with dodgy, messy DIY refill kits.

planecrazy.eu
15th May 2007, 09:09
D.I.Y Kits are getting more sparse these days as the makers are putting little chips on there cartridges.

Yes, these chips can be "modified" but its not something that the average guy can do, without all the tech to go with it.

So, as said, look on ebay for the compatables, or go to a Cartridge shop, there are loads around.

HP Cartridges have always been expensive though, the compatables are too when you compare them with Canon or Epson.

Bushfiva
15th May 2007, 10:37
I think your 944 cartridge is a Lexmark 31/33/35 in disguise. I see the Dell cartridges cost a huge amount in the UK, if that's where you are. You may want to check if a Lexmark 31/33/35 looks as though it will fit, and if it's cheaper. Prices are way, way better in the US and Japan.

Anyway, the Dell should be an easy refill. Neither it nor the Lexmark are chipped. I never had much success refilling HP cartridges: if the ink starts coming out the print head, it wicks up into adjacent 'oles.

Hugh Spencer
15th May 2007, 10:39
When you start refilling your cartridges consider trying out Inksave for a trial period. If satisfied you can download or buy the software to install, about £20.
I have used Inksave for a long time now but apparently it doesn't agree with all printers but the trial period helps. The amount of saving every time you print can be varied, but I adjust for 75% saving for general purposes. Well worth a try.

VP959
15th May 2007, 19:22
Be aware that although the Dell printers are re-badged Lexmark ones, they have deliberately changed the mechanical interface on the cartridge to try to stop you using much cheaper Lexmark, or Lexmark compatible, cartridges (guess how I found that one out......).

However, do not despair! With a sharp knife you can remove the extra plastic bulge on the top of the Lexmark cartridge to make it fit the Dell version of the printer! Just compare the two cartridges to see which is the bit to remove.

VP

BigEndBob
15th May 2007, 22:17
For anyone in the market for a good printer thats easily refillable consider
Brother DCP115c and similiar.Thats the reason i bought this model.

Just lift the scanner/lid, the ink wells are exposed, you can just lift them out, drill hole in the top, fill with ink, which can be seen as one side of the well is clear plastic, reinsert, close lid and the printer then asks if you have fitted new cartridges, so just click yes(3x). And Bob's your uncle!

Just refilled for the cost of about £4 in ink (15ml x 4)

Bendigo
16th May 2007, 00:34
Thanks for the advice - some good ideas here.

Are we talking about the Lexmark Z33 and Z35 here ?

Is there anything these characters won't try in their effort to gouge you ?

Joe le Taxi
24th May 2007, 08:54
Dell cartridges are easy to DIY refill. You just have to ignore the cartidge empty warnings.

Bendigo
26th May 2007, 00:31
Thanks Joe - I was thinking you might be able to do that - but the good folk at Dell just weren't sharing it.

So what would I do just drill a hole in the part of the cartridge that sits at the top and re-fill it?

EGCC4284
28th Jul 2007, 01:52
A friend of mine has just set up a business supplying ink cartridges for printers etc.

He has designed a website and I have added a link below

You wont get ink cartridges cheaper anywhere else and they are posted directly to your address.

http://www.ink-wise.co.uk/

Regards EGCC4284

vapilot2004
28th Jul 2007, 03:06
If you are in the market for a new inkjet printer, have a look at Kodak's new line. They use less ink than the competition and replacement cartridges are only $9.95 for black and $14.95 for colour. :ok:

NutLoose
30th Jul 2007, 07:02
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DELL-922-924-942-944-962-INK-CARTRIDGE-PHOTO-REFILL-KIT_W0QQitemZ230156683482QQihZ013QQcategoryZ101325QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:)