PDA

View Full Version : Bull Air Race (London, UK) 29 July 2007 Radio Frequencies?

aircraftinfo
12th May 2007, 18:17
Dear All,

I am a first time user of this site so please be kind to me!

I would like to ask anyone if you have any idea as to the (possible) radio frequencies that would be available for the Red Bull Air Race in London.

I have first thought that the frequencies would be for London City Airport, but I also know that they would use a different frequency for during the actual race.

If you have active links to web sites it would be great.

Thanks for your help if you have replied!

P.S. This thread has been answered by someone from Jet Blast section of this forum and I am merely expanding the question to this forum.

BEagle
13th May 2007, 15:06
A couple of points:

1. It's probably contrary to some obscure law of the telecommunications agency to pass on such details in a public forum.

2. Even if I did know - which I don't - I wouldn't tell you. Not because I don't trust your doubtless entirely innocent motives, but because some stupid low-lifes might find out, then take it into their stupid heads to transmit on the frequency.

aircraftinfo
13th May 2007, 15:48
Thank you for replying to my message.

Sorry if there are people out there who would otherwise agree to this statement, but for my concern I was just merely interested as I myself am an aircraft enthusiast and live in London.

The chance of having an amazing aviation event to take place in London for me would not be missed.

Yet I understand fully what you are saying.

Apologises for anyone offended, but many thanks if anyone else can help.

Crash one
13th May 2007, 17:50
Don't you need a FRTOL in order to buy a transceiver (responsible person)? rather like firearm cert.
I may be wrong, I often am.

BEagle
13th May 2007, 20:25
People don't need any licence to steal a transceiver - and you only have to read the NOTAMs now and again to read reports of illegal transmissions near airports.

I don't think that you need any form of end-user paperwork to buy a transceiver?

rustle
13th May 2007, 20:35
I don't think that you need any form of end-user paperwork to buy a transceiver?

Don't know if your question mark was intentional, but no, you don't need any paperwork at all to buy a transceiver and could mail order one tonight from any of several "pilot shops" online and have it in Tuesday's post. ;)

happ1ness
13th May 2007, 21:23
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=206063

Try this link which may help your understanding of frequencies and who can legally listen.

aircraftinfo
14th May 2007, 12:13
I would like to thank those who have replied again. But really I would like to say that I only raised this up simply as an aircraft enthusiast with just a radio reciever only.

I also understand the OFCOMs simple rules stating the terms of the use of certain frequencies.

I also understand that there are certain frequencies that if found on the reciever/transiever can lead to more than a slapped wrist.

Having said this I know that there are a large majority of aviation/airband enthusiasts who listen into the airband frequency, yet as I also know the UK police at best simply turn a blind eye.

Also on a security note I do know that there is a site for aviation enthusiasts to register to an aviation enthusiast security scheme, which apparantly gets approval by the UK police and is somewhat recognised by the US Homeland Security.

The site is http://www.laasdata.com/taess.html

I myself am a member and I fully understand the security of airports and radio frequencies, so I have no hesitation as to ask questions about the Red Bull Air Race in particular.

I once again thank those who have replied.:ok:

Telumehtar
28th Jul 2007, 11:36
I'm not sure I understand some of the responses here. Some information published by relevant authorities on the public internet can be found here:

NOTAMS (search for "RED BULL"):
http://pibs.nats.co.uk/operational/pibs/pib1.shtml

Frequencies (e.g. for London City):
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/64/DAP_ACD_Freq_ref_south.pdf

It's possible permission to listen to certain frequencies will be given at the event.

Rob.