PDA

View Full Version : Windows Serious errors

RAC/OPS
12th May 2007, 07:28
Twice in the last 3 days my pc has shut itself down, a blue screen comes up telling me this, and to restart. The top line reads DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

Does this mean anything to anyone and should I be concerned? It has restarted OK both times informing me that it has recovered from a serious error; the only way I can restart is by turning it off at the mains which I don't think is healthy either!

Mr Grumps
12th May 2007, 08:32
I had that on my previous laptop and was a forerunner of hard drive failure. It might be your PC is going the same way if you haven't added anything recently. A new hard drive is not expensive but very time consuming to reload all the programmes etc.

planecrazy.eu
12th May 2007, 08:34
When does this error happen? For example, on boot or when you have clicked on someting.

I have had that error in the past after the installation of a hotfix, resolution was to uninstall the hotfix.

I have heard this error happening for many reasons, to pin it down, you would need to know if the error happens when you open something, or if it just happens. If it just happens, its likely to be an XP Hotfix issue.

type the error in here

http://support.microsoft.com

There will be a fair few results due to the nature of the error, add in other keywords that describe the situation when the error happens, ie, boot, execute or type the software name that triggers it.

I found this too, as i have a feeling its more helpful and relevent

http://www.vladd44.com/other/irq_error.php

Turn It Off
12th May 2007, 11:24
Have you installed anything new lately?

It may be a hardware confliction error, perhaps to components are speaking on the same IRQ address?

Windows normally manages these itself and allocates IRQs that are vacant, but maybe it hasn't done it this time?

If you have installed some hardware, beit a new Hard drive, printer, digital camera, anything, then i would suggest uninstalling it, remove i, and see if that fixes the problem.

TIO

RAC/OPS
12th May 2007, 13:44
Thanks for all the replies. I haven't installed anything recently, except I got a TFT monitor last week. I'm sure that isn't anything to do with it...? Will try the urls you posted, planecrazy. I usually leave the computer running all the time. It happened this morning while I was just prooning! And the other day during a game of dx ball which has been installed for about 2 months.

Farmer 1
12th May 2007, 13:52
Can't answer your question, but: if you have to replace your hard drive, you can have your present one cloned (before it fails completely), and then copied to the new one. All the applications, settings, etc. etc.

Just had it done, and it didn't cost any more, however, I just might have been extremely lucky there.

Mac the Knife
12th May 2007, 17:50
System has recovered from a serious error
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

This problem can be caused by:

1. A damaged Virtual Memory Manager Page file.

2. A faulty RAM (memory) module.

3. A RAM module that is NOT compatible with the computers chip set.

To resolve this issue, check your computer documentation or contact the computer manufacturer:

Hardware and Software Third-Party Vendor Contact List, A-K
Hardware and Software Third-Party Vendor Contact List, L-P
Hardware and Software Third-Party Vendor Contact List, Q-Z

If the RAM is OK or changing it does NOT fix the problem:

01. Right-click My Computer and press Properties.

02. Select the Advanced tab.

03. Press the Settings button under Performance.

04. Select the Advanced tab.

05. Press the Change button under Virtual memory.

06. Select No paging file and press the Set button. Press Yes if prompted.

07. Press OK, OK, and OK.

08. Shutdown and restart your computer.

09. Right-click My Computer and press Properties.

10. Select the Advanced tab.

11. Press the Settings button under Performance.

12. Select the Advanced tab.

13. Press the Change button under Virtual memory.

14. Select System Managed size and press the Set button. Press Yes if prompted.

15. Press OK, OK, and OK.

16. Shutdown and restart your computer.

If the system was working fine before then its usually a damaged Virtual Memory Manager Page file, so act accordingly.

Terraplaneblues
13th May 2007, 09:52
When I built my latest PC I had the same message, but it appeared in a message box with xp still up and running. The standard MS box came up with the "send report" " & "don't send" buttons. Never used it before, but in desperation after doing all of the stuff that Mac the Knife suggested, I pressed the send error report button, a solution came back within seconds, the driver for my Sony Ericsson phone stand required an update, did that and have never seen the fault again.

I was not getting a shutdown however.

I followed all the MS knowledge base advice, but I would never have figured on that one driver causing the problem.
I had been using the phone stand on previous build with no problems?

Follow turn it offs advice to try and find the offending part then follow Macs advice and if the problem is still there, update drivers, especially the new monitor.

Can be very obscure, good luck!

Tisme
13th May 2007, 16:24
I had a similar kind of problem last summer and it turned out that my pc was just running way to hot in the space that it sits in, I went the cheaper way and brought a big fan for the room, never had the problem since.

Parapunter
14th May 2007, 08:15
Blue screen of death is where windows cannot carry out an instruction and generates a halt to the system. Given the error message you are getting, I would strongly suggest that Terraplane is on the right path - you would appear to have a faulty device driver. The best way to identify this is to run windbgr - which is a free download from Microsoft. Each time your computer crashes, it writes a log detailing the crash to a folder in windows. Windbgr will help you extract and identify what's causing it. Firstly, you will need to click: Start/mycomputer/right click on properties then click on the advanced tab then start up and recovery tab, then set debugging information to be written as a kernel memory dump.

This ensures the error report goes to where windbgr can find it. Next, have a quick read here:http://www.networkworld.com/news/2005/041105-windows-crash.html?page=2 This will tell you how to run windbgr.

It all sounds long winded, but it's not too difficult at all & it will identify the fault in your system.