PDA

View Full Version : JAA CPL(H), IR(H) & Current Class 1 Medical

R1Tamer
11th May 2007, 21:59
This is a simple fact finding mission before lashing out a considerable expense - no hidden agenda. Simply curious to know how many folks in the UK currently hold these quals AND are PRESENTLY unable to find relevant employment. First hand acounts preferred but hey .... hearsay and rumour are always interesting.

R1Tamer

Hedski
12th May 2007, 20:26
Passed IR(H) on the 22nd of the month, first job offer on the 1st of the next month. Less than 10 days and that was over a Christmas period so only 6 working days....... Go figure.
If you have a JAA IR(H) you won't struggle, it pays for itself everytime.
:}

helimutt
12th May 2007, 20:47
I passed the IR and had a job offer that same night!
Friend of mine passed IR(H) last week. Two interviews this week and starts next week for one of them. 1 week from a pass to an interview and job offer.
Seems the IR is the way to go. Just make an informed decision as to where to train for the IR. Some 'new-start up' IR training providers might be worth avoiding until they build a reasonable reputation.
Ask any IR training provider their pass rate, how long they have been operating and obviously cost will be an issue to some.

outhouse
13th May 2007, 12:09
Go for it, but chose the school wisely.
Good luck outhouse.

Sliding Doors
13th May 2007, 15:45
Know of a couple of guys who have the qualifications you list that are struggling for work BUT for the vast majority, and in the current recruitment climate, an IR is leading to work.
Most schools have quite a waiting list, 6 months plus (particularly due to the current demand), the gamble is whether that demand will still be there once you have been able to complete a course:confused:
Helimutt, are you suggesting that a sensible choice would be somewhere that could provide the required 'Helicopter Services'? But that in any case you should not be too 'fast' in making a decision :E
As posted, choose an IR school wisely. Plenty of threads already exist regarding which schools people would recommend. It's a lot of money to gamble :eek:

bgw
13th May 2007, 18:39
Hedski, how much did you spend on training?

helimutt
13th May 2007, 20:34
Sliding Doors, you're not wrong! as posted on another thread here, I wouldn't like to be a guinea pig as the first person through a course. As you mention a fast company, I hear through the grapevine that they have an FNPT2 sim but the time it'll take to get the staff and certification will not be anytime soon. Trying to poach staff from current, established establishment does nothing for your standing in the industry IMHO. Also heard a rumour that a CAA examiner will work for them as IRI but isn't that slightly unfair for the competition if this examiner also tests the competitions students for the IRT? :confused: :E :D :{ ;) :* :(

Flingingwings
13th May 2007, 22:31
For those curious..........
Nothing to CPL/FI/IR =£110K at a conservative estimate :{ :{ :eek:

helimutt
14th May 2007, 07:18
Hey Flingingwings, you're using my numbers there!! That's what it cost me too. Funny that.:ok:

R1Tamer
14th May 2007, 12:53
Thanks for the comments

R1Tamer

Hedski
14th May 2007, 15:46
bgw,
I did my IR late 2004. At the time Cabair were still doing IR(H)'s, not sure if they are now. I did 20 hours FNPT, 18 R22 with 12 in an A109C at the end using an external instructor under the IRTO (He now uses another IRTO). Allow another 3 hours A109C for positioning and the test day plus test fee and it comes neatly to £21500 (plus VAT but I was VAT registered so that wasn't a worry).
I think at the time that came in under the price of a Bristow single engine IR, if wrong please do correct me but it is close. Not bad to come away with single pilot multi engine IR on a nice machine too.:E
Add the A109 type rating a few months before and that was another £6k (again plus VAT). It really is the way forward and will make you a much more accurate pilot even when flying VFR.
H
:}

bgw
14th May 2007, 16:34
Thanks for that Hedski!

The controller how did you get your CPL(H) FI for 45k i have worked it out to be 60-70k.

bgw
14th May 2007, 16:57
What is involved to convert from FAA to JAA? Do you still have the same chances of getting a job in the uk if you have completed your training in the US.

Whirlygig
14th May 2007, 17:18
You have to pass the appropriate theory exams and complete flying training sufficient to enable you to pass the CPL skills test. The costs of conversion can outweigh the savings made.

It is debateable whether your chances of getting a job in the UK are less having done much of your flying in the US. I suspect it depends on the employer.

As thecontroller asks in his usual pugnacious style, one factor to account for is that it is only very recently that the FI hours requirement has dropped from 300 to 250. Therefore, those who did their FI ratings a while would have paid for another 50 hours hour building.

However, I am interested as to whether your £45k for JAA CPL/FI included your accommodation costs, exam fees and licence issue (it all mounts up) and your FAA to JAA conversion costs.

Cheers

Whirls

Whirlygig
14th May 2007, 17:51
Yes, I thought you were being more bellicose than usual today! :} I also know some four letter words :rolleyes:

Cheers

Whirls