PDA

View Full Version : One Computer won't stay connected to network.

BoeingBoy
11th May 2007, 15:14
Hi, I have an odd problem.

I am running two desktops and a lappy within a wireless network. All is well most of the time but the older of the desktops keeps dropping off the MSHome network after maybe 30 mins and will not see the other two computers and they can't transfer anything up to it. It is however remaining on the wireless connection as connecting to the internet is not a problem.

I constantly have to restart the offending desk top to get it to see the other two, once that is done it seems fine. However, next time around it will have dropped the network again after a 30 mins or so. Running the network set up wizard makes no difference. Anyone got any idea's?

All are running XP, the two desktops are XP home and the lappy is XP Professional. It's a Linksys router.

Thanks in anticipation.

BB

Turn It Off
12th May 2007, 11:26
Could be a firewall issue on that machine?

If it is happening after the same amount of time every time?

What anti-virus / firewall are you running?

BoeingBoy
12th May 2007, 21:34
Thanks for the reply.

All three machines are running McAfee antivirus and firewalls. XP firewall is always off.

All three are ticked to trust the local network.

BB

boguing
12th May 2007, 21:47
[EDIT: Saab Dastard has just shown that I didn't read your post fully. Whereabouts is the adsl connection? Router/modem or shared modem?]

What is providing the wireless connection from the offending pc?

Reason for asking... I have (one's in the bin tonight after raiding bits from it, the other is in a box just in case) two Intel PCI wireless cards. They are useless. For one thing the aerial is so close to the steel back surface of the pc that wireless is bound to be crippled. The biggest problem with them has been heat.

And this is where you come in, possibly. They were more or less OK until I tried transferring large files. Can't remember the speed offhand, but after about 3 m bytes they would just stop working. They'd be fine after a shutdown/cool down, but repeating the experiment proved it.

If your problem is definitely time related, I'd seriously consider heat to be the problem. Software doesn't usually keep track of time before going flakey.

But, if it's not that, I'd still be thinking hardware. If it's a USB dongle, is it on a hub - and if so, is it a powered hub?

Anyway, I'll ponder further if you tell me what the device is.

Saab Dastard
12th May 2007, 21:51
BB - can you check the Event Log / System for any network errors?

It sounds like an MS network browsing issue, as you say that the PC continues to access t'internet.

There are several such issues referenced on the MS site, but if you have any specific errors in the Event log that would help to track it down.

SD

tech9803
13th May 2007, 01:02
Some good suggestions here.
Also, check the Power settings on the problem device to see if it is configured to shut off hard drives/NICs/monitors after x minutes of inactivity.