PDA

View Full Version : Don't you just wish.....

everynowandthen
11th May 2007, 15:06
This pretty incredible:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=844_1178669945

Enjoy

Fun Police
11th May 2007, 18:00
very impressive, but can he longline?

MrEdd
11th May 2007, 18:59
Looks a bit like my commercial checkride:8

Alex_Ford
11th May 2007, 20:09
Utterly amazing! Totally amazed that he did not stuff it into the ground - how the hell can he react so fast?

Alex Ford

Saab Dastard
11th May 2007, 20:33
I bet that a) he drinks Carling Black Label and b) it is not his first helicopter. :)

SD

Max Shutterspeed
11th May 2007, 21:35

I can't even see which way up it is half the time.....

He'll have someone's eye out with that.

Neill W

g-mady
13th May 2007, 09:36
Notice he runs out of fuel at the end and effortlessly rights the helicopter and autorotates to the ground.

Very good

I bet several people on here have tried that new indoor mini helicopter (picoo z or something)
http://i6.tinypic.com/5zfb4mr.jpg
Come on own up!

MADY

perfrej
13th May 2007, 10:56
Yep... Got two (I have two sons) - one for my youngest, one for me...;)

Hughes500
13th May 2007, 11:19
How the hell does it barrel roll in the hover ?

outofwhack
13th May 2007, 11:36
Impressive reactions for sure not to mention a very well set up and powerful helicopter model. But I bet the ground time to flight time ratio is more than 10:1

I fly models as well as fullsize and cant do this but nor would i really want to much. I find it much more impressive to see an excellent scale model flown in a realistic manner. That really is magic. Longlining with a model would surely be the ultimate challenge!

BTW one reason these this type of flying looks so snappy and precise is because they use a variable rate solid state gyro controlling the tail rotor pitch servo. At very high gain this acts very effectively as a heading hold in yaw. When you move the transmitter yaw stick it will turn at a absolutely constant rate immaterial of wind. Allow the stick to center and it will lock the yaw direction solid - like concrete.

Makes things a lot easier. But I bet he crashed a lot before getting that good!

OOW

TheMonk
13th May 2007, 17:28
How come the "Low G/Teetering hinge" thingy never hurt these little buggers?

outofwhack
13th May 2007, 22:40
They have much stiffer blades and more restricted teetering than compared to a fullsize machine.
Also I suspect their power to weight has something to do with their capabilities. My aerobatic capable model has 1.5BHP at its disposal yet weighs only about 3kg. Whether this can be extrapolated to fullsize I dont know but if it can it equates to 500BHP in a 1000kg helicopter. Probably twice as much power as typical.
In addition, Reynolds factor will certainly have an effect.
Air is much thicker to a little helicopter!
OOW

Barshifter
14th May 2007, 08:08
Wonder how many he broke getting as good as that?

g-mady
14th May 2007, 09:06
That model isn't but there are many Turbine powered models!
Do the Math for those, I expect power to weight is crazy!

There is also a video on Youtube of a model of Airwolf, with two turbines :eek:
Power for that would be too much!!!

I agree with the earlier about models looking better flown like the real thing although this guy is very good.
I would also like to see a model "long lineing" or other stuff like fire fighting!

This shows just what RC helis are capable of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-GjFhMcNZM

MADY

6Z3
14th May 2007, 09:22
Yer, Ex D4 (Hovering) can be tricky initially, but you'll soon get the hang of it. Actually at one stage you were just about there, albeit inverted, and a bit on the low side for safety. The key points:
Remember the 3 A's, Attitude, Attitude, Attitude;
Pick a marker in the middle distance, say a windsock, and hold it steady against the horizon.
Oh, and don't worry about the yaw and height, as I said, I'm controlling those.

moosp
14th May 2007, 12:20
Neat link GMADY. Now we just need to work out how to strap a twelve bore onto it and handle the recoil, and wild duck is on the menu.

Mind you, you'd need a dog that can run a mile, swim 500 yards and return.
Seriously it does send shivers through the "privacy of a man's castle" part of the brain. When everyone has these you'll find one outside your window most days.

Perhaps that is when you'll need the twelve bore :)

Oh, back to the thread. Vvvvery impressive model display, and one that reminds me of the oft reported urban myth that aerodynamics cannot prove that a bee can fly. I'll bet there are manoevres in that clip that are on the fringe of modern aero-d theory.

bell222
14th May 2007, 13:40
quickly someone phone the met at lippitts hill and tell them to cancel the 145's