PDA

View Full Version : Food for thought .....

hobie
11th May 2007, 09:29
When Steven Udvar-Hazy was a teenager in New York City, he would often head after school to Idlewild Airport, as Kennedy International was known then, to watch planes take off and land.

For hours, he would spot different aircraft and pore over timetables to figure out where they were coming from, or headed to.

Spotters !!!!! ...... give them an inch and they will try to take over the world .... :p

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/10/business/10flyboy.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin

(with thanks to Loose rivets for spotting the story :ok: )

PaperTiger
11th May 2007, 15:49
“When he was dating his wife, Christine, his idea of a exciting date was to go to the end of the runway and tell her about the DC-8 overhead.”Been there, done that... :ouch:

11Fan
11th May 2007, 16:29
Nothing ticks the little missus off more than us being outside, having a conversation, and me looking up.

Coming from an aviation family (she's got Jet A in her blood), you'd think that she'd understand better.

11Fan

hobie
11th May 2007, 17:07
I have to confess, whenever I hear an aircraft overhead I look up .....

always ..... :p

llondel
11th May 2007, 17:14
I remember seeing an aircraft in the distance near Stansted, I told my wife it was a 737 and she wanted to know how I knew. Easy - I could tell it was a Go (remember them?) aircraft because I could make out the logo, and they only had 737s.

For the most part the non-afflicted have an amused tolerance to it all.

My son (5) is interested, a couple of US fighters flew over, he looked up and said "I think they might be shooty ones".

Flap Track 6
14th May 2007, 08:31
Quote:
“When he was dating his wife, Christine, his idea of a exciting date was to go to the end of the runway and tell her about the DC-8 overhead.”
Been there, done that... :ouch:

I showed the article to Mrs Flap Track. She said 'Yep, that sounds just like you ... ' :hmm:

angels
14th May 2007, 10:02
While I was on a summer camp last year helping out with a bunch of kids there was an open day when the parents tipped up to see what was going on.

While I was gving a little spiel about what was happening on the camp a Spitfire overflew us. We had some Germans sharing the camp with us so I rushed across the camp circle shouting "Achtung! Spitfeur!!"

The parents were most bemused.....:}

And to prove my nerdy side, when I got back from the camp a few enquiries on this very forum tracked down the Spit which gave us a free five minute display!