PDA

View Full Version : IE 7 update KB931768

rickity
10th May 2007, 17:01
This latest update has just given hours of "fun", it caused IE to stop working completly with an error message on the lines of save or cancel a file named navcanl.dll. Save or cancel had the same result of IE closing. only by uninstalling, and on 2 occasions that failed which lead to resorting to restoring from a restore point, did I get back to a working machine
Seems quite a few posts around the web by people experiancing the same problem. but no working solutions.
I have tried the disabling of IE Add-ons ( didn't know there were so many of those beasties) but have yet to successfully update.:ugh:
So this is one update I'll not bother with for a while. in the meantime watch out if you have auto-update on and you suddenly have problems with IE.
If anybody hears of a good fix please post it here.
And yes I know it doesnt effect those with other browsers and OS's:)
Rickity

BEagle
10th May 2007, 17:42
Which is why I will have nothing to do with Vista, IE7 or the other recent piles of poo from Bill....

The security uploads of 8 May did indeed take ages to download, even on broadband (so-called 8Mb which isn't. Is it Virgin?). But at least all is still well and acceptably nerd-proof with IE6 and WinXP.

Mac the Knife
10th May 2007, 18:53
I didn't think there was anyone still using IE......

:}

Mac

BLUE SKY THINKER
10th May 2007, 19:41
The thread title relates to just one of the May updates (IE7), but the original post implies problems downloading the lot.

Likewise here, re. the latter. The whole download process seems to affect IE even before one gets anywhere near an update, KB931768 included. The Update web page just runs and runs to no avail, but then takes some drastic action just to shut down IE afterwards (as I say, even before KB931768 has had a chance to make an appearance). No success as yet over the last two days.

Mr Grumps
10th May 2007, 20:17
Had exactly the same problem as rickity. I also had to restore to a good system. What a right pain in the a***.:mad: :mad: . I haven't seen any fix for it yet (except to not install in the first place). :ugh:

10th May 2007, 21:21
I only have a 3mb line and it took nearly 2 days for the latest security downloads. It sat for ages on 56%. I eventually switched the pc off and that did the trick. On restart some of the updates were installed and the rest followed suit at a slightly faster rate than the first batch. All fine now, and I still don't use IE.
Go Firefox!

BEagle
10th May 2007, 21:45
I seem to have downloaded update KB931768 as part of the 8 May updates - it works fine with IE6!

DaveO'Leary
10th May 2007, 23:47
Gave up loading updates for xp six months ago. I'm still here, no probs.

Dave

Turn It Off
11th May 2007, 07:34
get firefox, its free, GNU/GPL is ace.

Linux OS, I use FC5 on my laptop

TIO

Parapunter
11th May 2007, 07:34
It also slows down windows mail in Vista. Remember you can just back out installed updates through the control panel in Windows. I took this one off in about five minutes & all back to normal.

Duckbutt
11th May 2007, 09:17
XP Pro, automatic downloads on. Havn't had any problems with IE7 this week but Outlook has started to only run v e r y s l o w l y.

Could there be a connection with this update?

P.Pilcher
11th May 2007, 09:59
Am I in the minority that run IE7 without problems and have had no trouble at all with the latest updates? The only one that I've opted out of is the one which allows Bill to continuously check that my version of XP is valid.

P.P.

Splat
11th May 2007, 13:21
Rickity,

I had the same problem. What I did was to uninstall ie7, then reinstall it. Seems to have cured the problem.

good luck

Splat

Out Of Trim
11th May 2007, 13:34
My XP and IE7 running fine with all latest updates.. Although I usually just use the IE7 engine through SlimBrowser front end!

But all running fine.

Perhaps your download was corrupted somehow.

Keef
11th May 2007, 19:53
I turned off all the MS updates months ago. Things have been much more stable since.

I rely on ZoneAlarm and AVG (and the router's NAT firewall) to protect me from nasties. Seems to work.

IE is also banned - Firefox "just works". Ditto Thunderbird.

Saab Dastard
11th May 2007, 20:27
It is possible - and recommended by many - to use the MS update site manually.

That way you get to pick which updates you want / need rather than have MS shove everything down your throat.

IE7 as a "critical / high-priority" update. Yeah, right. :yuk:

So every month I trundle off to the MS site and download my selection of the latest clutch of plugs and plasters.

Then simply check the "do not show me this update ever again" box against the ones you don't want.

SD

BLUE SKY THINKER
13th May 2007, 20:14
http://www.computerworld.com/common/images/masthead/computerworld_page_logo2.gif
http://www.computerworld.com/common/images/masthead/hdr_r_operating_systems.gif
----------------
LINK (http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9019218&intsrc=hm_list)

rickity
13th May 2007, 20:42
Thanks for the link BST, so much for the planned auto updates think, in SD's words, I'll go back to hoping and praying.

next, to devise a plan to keep some 60 odd machines working in the local junior school.

And a final note, on a recent trip to USA found a junior school all using apple macs ( that will keep Mac the knife happy) seems their sponsor has a view on BG's efforts, wonder if it will ever happen here.

Rickity

Saab Dastard
13th May 2007, 21:56
devise a plan to keep some 60 odd machines working in the local junior school.

What you should do is set up your own auto-update server using Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) and download the patches that you actually want to that.

Then point all 60 to your central update server.

OK, there's a bit more to it than that, but you'll have to go to the MS site if you want more info!

SD

Atlas Shrugged
13th May 2007, 23:43
How, or is it possible, to turn off the tabbed browsing in IE7?

green granite
14th May 2007, 07:04
Tools,internet options, general, tabs, settings and untick the tabs box