PDA

View Full Version : Female aircrew - limitations on where they can serve?

airborne_artist
10th May 2007, 12:03
Serious question - as daughter #2 is part way through an application to join the Dark Blue as aircrew. Can the ladies serve on 847?

bad livin'
10th May 2007, 12:07
Yes, AFAIK. It's not exclusively commando manned.

timex
10th May 2007, 14:23
AA, I don't know of a reason why not, 847 have had quite a few female techs. 845/46 have had female Pilots in the past.

Obviously your daughter has very good taste in A/C and will hopefully be flying the "Queen of the sky"........:) :)

Shaun

MrBernoulli
10th May 2007, 14:50
Dark Blue? :yuk:

PPRuNeUser0211
10th May 2007, 14:57
Airborne,

all the limits on where females can serve have now been removed apart from a very specific list of jobs (can't find it, but sure it's on the MOD site somewhere, as there was a survey on it done recently).

Basically, everything apart from the armoured corps, the infantry regiments (actual troops on ground), Raf Reg and the CDOs (again troops on ground) are open to females. IIRC even the CDO artillery etc is open to women now? Anyone comment on that?

Tracey Island
10th May 2007, 15:01
MrBernoulli - how mature. :rolleyes:

strek
10th May 2007, 15:06
Engineers not Techs Timex - you are thinking back to the REME days!
Hope you are well,
Strek

airborne_artist
10th May 2007, 15:25
MrB

tra·di·tion (trə-dĭsh'ən) http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/pron.gif
n.
The passing down of elements of a culture from generation to generation, especially by oral communication.

A mode of thought or behavior followed by a people continuously from generation to generation; a custom or usage.
A set of such customs and usages viewed as a coherent body of precedents influencing the present: followed family tradition in dress and manners. See synonyms at heritage (http://www.answers.com/topic/heritage).
A body of unwritten religious precepts.
A time-honored practice or set of such practices.My daughter would like to be the third generation from our family to serve in the RN. My father went to BRNC aged 13 in 1947, I went aged 18 in 1978.

BluntedAtBirth
10th May 2007, 16:01
Basically, everything apart from the armoured corps, the infantry regiments (actual troops on ground), Raf Reg and the CDOs (again troops on ground) are open to females. IIRC even the CDO artillery etc is open to women now? Anyone comment on that?

There are actually 2 branches in the RAF that women cannot join as regulars. The first is RAF Regt, in line with the prohibition on close combat arms (Inf, RAC but not, strangely, some elements of SF - see the lurid memoirs section of amazon.co.uk ). The second is Chaplain(RC) - but that is not strictly the RAF's 'fault'...

timex
10th May 2007, 16:02
Engineers not Techs Timex - you are thinking back to the REME days! :O :O Ooops!

Yes mate fine, and you?

Shaun

PPRuNeUser0211
10th May 2007, 16:07
An interesting point on the RC thing. Wonder if a female "wannabe" could successfully sue the RC church for gender discrimination?

Seldomfitforpurpose
10th May 2007, 16:15
AA,

Tradition my ar@e, my grandfather and my father both had rickets, piles and pleurisy but doesn't mean to say that my kids and I should endure the same :rolleyes:

I suggest a visit to the NSPCC web site for you chap as I am sure what you are encouraging your lovely daughter to commit comes under the cruelty heading :=

advocatusDIABOLI
10th May 2007, 17:31
I have it on good authority that the fairer sex can serve in Iran....... if required to.

Advo

Pontius Navigator
10th May 2007, 17:38
advo, you beat me to it, one might add, with Commandos too.

airborne_artist
10th May 2007, 17:51
SFP - I'm telling the world she wants to follow in the family footsteps, but the truth is a bit more believable - her young man (a year older) wants to join as RN aircrew, so she's following him, so she can keep tabs on him I guess!

Sorry to hear about the Farmer Giles - try All Bran :}

charliegolf
10th May 2007, 19:17
PBA: "An interesting point on the RC thing. Wonder if a female "wannabe" could successfully sue the RC church for gender discrimination?"

Only a very very very patient one! Took 2000 years for the priest to turn around and face the audience.

CG

10th May 2007, 19:24
AA, is that the quaint RN tradition of calling everything on land what it equates to on a ship so that no-one gets confused or the one where you sit down for the loyal toast to avoid bumping your head on the low beams?:)

airborne_artist
10th May 2007, 21:13
AA, is that the quaint RN tradition of calling everything on land what it equates to on a ship so that no-one gets confused or the one where you sit down for the loyal toast to avoid bumping your head on the low beams?

Both :} - there are others too, but this is a family show :E

strek
11th May 2007, 07:23
I knew I was safe with Timex, but did wonder whether someone would spot the irony...

Talking of cowboys, got your spurs polished for next job? See you soon ;)

Only need 3 ENGINEERS if you can't cope with 2.....

Strek

Whaaa newark
11th May 2007, 09:03
Why has she joined the army to become aircrew?

Wader2
11th May 2007, 10:11
Army? Who said Army? Oh do pay attention Whaaa newark.

bad livin'
11th May 2007, 10:22
Whaaaa!

Good work Whaa Newark.

airborne_artist
11th May 2007, 11:09
Whaaa newark - RTFQ

The Helpful Stacker
11th May 2007, 11:27
A double Wah no less.:D

Mike Oxmels
11th May 2007, 11:33
Waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh. It's like going into the boxing ring against Stephen Hawking.: so easy you just feel bad!:ok:

Wader2
11th May 2007, 12:39
Or as Martin Withers might have said, lights on, no one at home, its just not cricket.

Whaaa newark
11th May 2007, 15:14
Wader2

Thank you soooooo much:D

I am sitting here with a screaming hangover, feeling very sorry for myself and then I saw what you wrote. You really cheered me up.:ok:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa