PDA

View Full Version : Housing in India for Jet Airways Expats

kleini604
10th May 2007, 07:39
I think most of the questions are clarified but what about housing in India provided by Jet Airways? Of course India is different to most countries all over the world. I think this is an important topic for all Expats who will come from other "western" countries in the future...

Do you know anything about the housing in India for Jet Airways Expats screened from Randhem Aviation?

Can anybody who lives there send me a few pics or maybe a link where I can find a little bit more information as on the "Mumbai-Downstreams" at Youtube.com? :O

Thank you in advance!

Cheers!

MDDog
10th May 2007, 16:22
Here is my view from the Orchid hotel in Bombay (Mumbai) india... much of what I've seen of Bombay and Chennai are the same, a virtual sewer everywhere you go.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL146/1913657/4927253/251592680.jpg

bacou
10th May 2007, 16:26
I'm also interested in knowing more about this so called "sharing 2 bedroom accommodation ".
Does it allow some kind of privacy or compulsory group sex....:O

peter1962
10th May 2007, 17:29
Also, how about food/grocery stores for those who have to share an apartment? How about medical facilities in case of any problem during our stay in India? Are there good (American-European like standards) clinics that you know about in Mumbai?

strummerdude
10th May 2007, 17:42
Speaking of medical facilities...what are the recommended shots for traveling to India?

peter1962
10th May 2007, 18:39
I heard Japanese encephalitis (http://www2.ncid.cdc.gov/travel/yb/utils/ybGet.asp?section=dis&obj=jenceph.htm), Hepatitis A&B (http://www2.ncid.cdc.gov/travel/yb/utils/ybGet.asp?section=dis&obj=hav.htm), Typhoid (http://www2.ncid.cdc.gov/travel/yb/utils/ybGet.asp?section=dis&obj=typhoid.htm), maybe others?

Can anybody please confirm?

peter1962
10th May 2007, 18:41
I heard: Japanese encephalitis, Hepatitis A and B, Typhoid, maybe others?

Can anybody please confirm?

Vimd23
11th May 2007, 02:46
In India , precaution is the key word as is everywhere else you travel to in the 3rd world sense. Yes , JE is a disease caused by the mosquito, there are plently around period after the monsoon months , Hep A&B and typhoid , are basically either food or water borne , so dont eat out ( Street Cart ) and NEVER drink water out at a restaurant , preferably order some bottled water which is readily available. The same goes for home , most of us buy canned water with a bubble dispenser.Like I said in the start its about the common sense you administer to yourself which will see you through , however having said that , there are no gaurantee's in life , so be prepared to face some fevers , sinus headache ( air pollution ) and the occasional upset tummy , they wont kill you , they will toughen you up though and I am sure that this visit to india will by the end of it leave your immune system much stronger.

Just my 2 paise worth , make what you will out of it.

Cheers
Vimd23

PosClimb
11th May 2007, 06:03
Speaking of diseases and so on in India, how lenient are the Indian companies toward expat pilots who call in sick?

How tough can they be? India would be a tough environment for people accustomed to the US or the UK.

That's going to be hard on your body.

A330AV8R
11th May 2007, 10:09
all I can say is if you can't stand the bloody heat stay out of the kitchen , no point in whining , if you want your standard of living stay where you are . . . otherwise suck it up .

strummerdude
11th May 2007, 10:39
Posclimb, I think that's a legitimite question.
The India I saw (briefly for 3 days) was very exciting. But I do have a lot of questions. I doubt that any company would expect a pilot to go flying when legitimately sick. Most pilots i know wouldnt and don't abuse the system. Some facts though would be greatly appreciated.

PosClimb
11th May 2007, 17:01
Well AirFranz,

I've been reading expat forums about life in India, and getting sick a lot seems to be a common issue for expats for India. No surprises given the pollution and generally poor sanitation standards there, coupled with the stress of being in a very different culture.

I'd like to know how much of an issue this is for expat pilots and Indian airlines.

Pretzel
12th May 2007, 06:43
Shots... would also recommend... Malaria, typhoid , Cholera and Polio ( drops) ... as must haves... hospitals.. they have 2 excellent ones there, the LILAVATI ( one of the largest in asia ) and the Hinduja ... amongst lots of others others... health care is very cheap over there ( i mean VERY cheap) but if you want to be extra careful, i would suggest joining BUPA Intl Health care ( which cover you world wide and you can get the evacuation cover to make sure that you are flown back to your own country if need be ) , they are excellent ( but a bit pricey)! as from what i have heard the indian health insurance companies are useless in paying up... :ugh:

as Vimd23 said-- bottled water.. no dodgy carts, careful with certain restaurants as well... always wash your food with CLEAN water... and just be precautious... same as africa, south america or anywhere else...

peter1962
12th May 2007, 07:52
Is Japanese encephalitis vaccine really needed?
I was told that it is not unless you travel to rural areas... I was also told that this vaccine may have some unpleasant side effects in some individuals ??...

Nevrekar
12th May 2007, 10:50
My FAA AME recommended the following shots:
1. Hepatitis A&B ( 3 shots over a time period). I took the first one here.
2. Tetanus. Good for 10 yrs. In case of cuts etc that get infected.
3. Typhoid. Good for 10 yrs.
You can also take Malaria, Cholera and Hepatitis C. The shots are expensive in the US. Might be cheaper in India.
As far as sick time, if you are sick then don't fly. Most contracts allow 8-10 days a year. If you exceed that you probably will give up pay. There should never be any issue with legitimate sick calls.

kleini604
12th May 2007, 11:51
Does anybody of you have more pics of the housing conditions in India, especially for Jet Airways Expats?

:eek: Cheers...

on_the_right
13th May 2007, 02:19
the picture posted (post no2) are the slums near the airport. you can always live somewhere else. not all the places have the same view.
you might want to try and look for yourself using google earth. plenty of decent housing around bombay, but can be a bit expensive.
enough said about the vaccinations. relatively safe, specially if you are coming from the states. be rest assured, you wont get mugged in the downtown area, or shot/stabbbed over a few dollars. yes, you will find people asking/begging you for money/food, which is the same as you would have encountered in some US cities.

Panama Jack
13th May 2007, 06:12
Nevrekar, at the current time no vaccine for Hepatitis C exists. Prevention is the only way.

peter1962
13th May 2007, 15:01
So, can anybody tell us whether Japanese encephalitis vaccine is needed? Thanks.

BAPILOT
13th May 2007, 19:19
How Many Indian Or So Called Jonny Foreigner Pilots Do You See On A Virgin Airways Flight Deck Or That Matter Any Uk Based Airline Flight Decks???
Answer Very Few If Any!!
Long Live The Boom In India!!
Employ Your Own Countries Indigenous People First Like UK airlines Do!!
:)

Mike Tuck
14th May 2007, 03:41
Lots of JFs, Americans and the like work for many UK companies including easyJet etc. Just look at the posts about Cityjet, although it is an Irish company, it is still in the EU. You a racist or jealous? If one is capable, getting a JAR licence and right to abode would not guarantee a job but it will help.

skytrek21
14th May 2007, 14:25
American pilots usually don't look for jobs in EU. There are plenty jobs here in the US that the airlines can't fill. We are desperate for pilots here in the US right now. The regional market is booming. As far as India is concerned...it's a great place to be. I have lived there for a long time. Bombay and Bangalore are the best cities and you will be treated like royalty at Jet. Just use precaution on what you eat outside and where you eat and you'll be fine and definitely won't catch any diseases.

speedtwoten
14th May 2007, 14:51
For your familization during your oral examination in DGCA in New Delhi just go and visit the toilet :yuk: than you will learn how to take care of your health in India

v.belur
26th Dec 2007, 05:04
Wish you a merry Xmas and a happy new year
Its nice to see a few people even though from different countries with Common sense and a sense of belonging, every once in a while it helps keep up the hope.

Cheers
vijay:)