PDA

View Full Version : UGSAS reunion

WeegyOne
9th May 2007, 18:22
Calling all ex-members of UGSAS...

If you want to revisit the hallowed ground of 12 Park Circus on the evening of 4 Aug then please call Angela on 0141 332 2548 to book yourself a ticket for the Sqn Reunion.

Limited numbers so first come, first served.:ok:

betty swallox
10th May 2007, 09:42
Should be a top night/morning...I hope some-one has warned the neighbours.
Do any PPRUNers remember the "Hi Ho" and the Trouser Tree?
Glory days...
bs

Tarnished
11th May 2007, 09:44
Signed up and looking forward to it.

Returned a few years back to talk at a ground training evening, was very impressed at the standards, all gone very up market and correct. Not a sight of a mamouth game of zip-boing or fizz-buzz, and nobody crawled under the carpet.

Pass the word

Tarnished

WeegyOne
13th May 2007, 19:13
Good to see that word is getting around. Ex UGSAS chap, now FJ Nav, giving brief to students on Thu night got a text telling him of reunion during his own presentation. Was suitably fined!

Crashed&Burned
13th May 2007, 19:56
Was at the last Annual Dinner. Really great.
Talking to the Sqn Adj, I suggested that we might put together a photographic record of the Squadron. Some of the original members are still out there and we should be able to put an impressive collection together.
I have a PC scanner which produces outstanding results from prints (B&W and colour) as well as negatives of any size, which could be useful.
Any thoughts?
C&B :)

WeegyOne
14th May 2007, 18:50
C&B

The plan, after the reunion, is to establish a permanent UGSAS Association where all ex-members are kept up-to-date with current Sqn activity. A collection of past photos is an awesome idea (as long as they don't involve Scone '96 - don't ask) but it would probably be easy to manage once I have the Assocition up and running. I'll mention it on the night (if you remind me).:ok:

CarltonBrowne the FO
15th May 2007, 01:53
I've just been trawling through my parents' attic and came across a selection of photos 84-88; APO B**** K**** dressed as a cheerleader was one of the more disturbing ones! Need to try and arrange some time off in early August...

betty swallox
18th May 2007, 10:13
Come on guys...get yer replies/stories etc on here. The LUAS reunion already has 3 pages...and I thought UGSAS was the best...

CB...I was in Grumbles Den a wee while ago, and think I found the "costume"...

not good

Crashed&Burned
20th May 2007, 11:57
Hi Weegy,
I am not sure yet if I can make the August bash but I'll try. If you need any support for the photo record, just PM me and we can plot and plan.
C&B:)

An Teallach
20th May 2007, 16:01
Wishing yous Weegies orra best for a good hoot and a roar. A word of warning, you'd better hope it isn't a slow news day for the pubescent loons at the Hootsmon on Sunday (http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=782832007).

Given your monicker, if I may suggest some entertainment, this site (http://www.edinburghpipers.com/) may be able to put you in touch with those doyens of Scots traditional music, The Betty Swallox Ceilidh Band.

H-D
26th May 2007, 20:36
Hope you all have a great time, I will raise a glass to you all while I build my sand castles.

Scone 90 was my fav... but then I did win the aeros!!!

Would love to be part of an UGSAS association if one is formed.

Big Sand
3rd Jun 2007, 20:05
Thanks for the 'heads-up' on the Park Circus bash on 4th Aug07. I was 47 entry UGSAS and one of JC's studes. Over the last few years I have unearthed some other ex UGSAS laggs from those days and talk to them regularly.

You know, I recon those treacle scones from the Halloween night are still in those parachutes in Grumbles den! Does any one remember 'Big Sink - the missing link'. Big Sink of the famous RAF Machrihanish taxying incident?. When he inadvertantly taxied a Bulldog down a B road and called up saying " sorry Sur, I canny turn roond there is a Land Rover behind me at the traffic lights" Obviously, Big Sink was treated later to the 'Mother of all Gschneiders!' Talking of The Gschnieder the current OC of SUAS informs me that it is alive and still in operation. He is UGSAS 39 entry and noticed the Gschneider at a do at Cranwell recently.

Great days and look forward to saying hello to the trowser tree in Park Circus in August. Any vets of summer camps at St Mawgan and Woodvale, Spring camp at Machrihanish - it would great to hear from you.

Hi Hooooooooooooooooooo

:ok:

H-D
3rd Jun 2007, 20:44
I remember the Gschneider.... I got it for taxiing down a road at Kinloss on my first Easter camp!!! Is the Viking Helmet still accompanying said tankard? I was Entry 52!

Big Sand
3rd Jun 2007, 21:08
Hi H-D
Good to hear from you mate. I seem to remember 'the horn' (no puns intended) but not the Vikings helmet :confused:

I seem to remember 'The Horn' being used after the annual rugby match with ELUAS but not the Vikings helmet in my days on 47?

I guess if you were 52 you would have been a Bulldog driver?. I came across XX611 at Shoreham during a flypast we were doing. Ironically, one of the other lads in the formation recognised it too - he had done his first solo in it during his time on 39 entry (summer camp St Mawgan).

The Gschneider I certainly remember?!!!:ouch:

You coming to the Aug 4th night of shame?

Big Sand

H-D
3rd Jun 2007, 21:14
I remember there being a viking helmet to wear when you won the drink of shame! I also remember the horn! I was indeed a dog driver and have more recently been a Tutor driver when I did a QFI tour. I would love to be there on the 4th and had a great chat with Angela on the phone but I am off to the Deid! Got some serious sandcastles to build at the bottom of the crew door steps.

Big Sand
3rd Jun 2007, 21:33
H-D
Nice one mate. Unfortunately, I can't remember the Viking's Helmet but I recon that's probably me and all those 42p pints on my monthly bar bill at Park Circus taking their toll. :p

Talking of Tutors I did a photo shoot at the end of April with ULAS to mark their 70th Anniversary. When I told them I was an ex UGSAS 'scummer' they almost choked on their Sherry. We had a Tiger M, Chippy, Bulldog, Harvard and Grob in formation with a YAK 52 camera ship 'whipping'.

Grob's nice, but the Bulldog is still a cracking wee bit of kit eh?

"So give me my Lycoming
4 pots 2 mags and a fan
If the prop stops
Glide at 75kts
And don't..............................."

I mentioned Shoreham, here's a link to check out a few old Bulldogs, we did a Swan and a vic for the old boys at Beagle. www.airshows.org.uk/2007/airshows/beagle40th/review.html (http://www.airshows.org.uk/2007/airshows/beagle40th/review.html)

All the best

Big Sand

betty swallox
4th Jun 2007, 08:50
Just so you know.....I taught at UGSAS from 2001 - 2005. One town night I spied a V tatty Geschneider behind the bar...so the Boss and I felt it appropriate to re-instate it!!! Much to the studes annoyance!
I soooo remember back in the Eighties, getting to the bar, and $hitting myself about getting the G-word....yes, I did get it a fair few times.
And seeing the wee faces almost 20 years later, when I was giving it out, was a joy!
The funniest one was a stude who turned right, instead of left at Kinloss, and ended up on the grass. Me, as duty Qfi-drinking-tea-in-the-tower, and trying not to chat up the controller (lady, before you ask), had to leg it out with the BCU bearded bloke and push the mighty Tutor out the grass....bit of a no brainer about the G-word that night. No names etc, but said stude is doing well as aircrew in the RAF as we speak...can't have been all bad...
The forfeit still stands (I think) that once presented, the offender had to keep it for 24 hours, and if "stolen" was re-presented that night. Much fun.
When I left UGSAS the Geschneider was in a very poor state...I think the then Sqn Ldr McRobbie had first presented it back in the seventies. So I felt it appropriate to present a new one at my leaving do...guess who got it that night??? I can still taste the Guinness/tomato juice/angustura/etc, etc....

Big Sand
4th Jun 2007, 10:00
Hi BS,
Nice one and glad to hear that you revitalised the tradition of the Gschneider. In the early 80's the tradition of the 24hr 'loose it and booze it' clause was alive and well.

Thinking back on it being Gschniedered was almost a self fulfilling prophesy. Being Gschneidered and then pulling a spinning or aeros sorte early the following morning was going to put you in a prime slot to get the self same Gschneider the following night. I have seen some 'double Gschneidering' done.

Of course the Gschneider also had a very deterimental effect on the victims lower motor functions as well as a complete inability to play 'Ducky Fuzz' An inability ruthlessly capitalised on by all his 'mates'. Ah, those Summer camps........................... :cool:

WeegyOne
4th Jun 2007, 15:36
Don't worry chaps - the Gschneider will be making a star appearance on the 4th although no Viking helmet (any one else heard of it? - would love to reinstate if it generates more banter!).

Astor is still going strong BTW but does anyone know his previous history?

I was digging through previous CO's drawers (the wooden variety) and found the Bar Reference Cards - UGSAS T Mk 1 Songbook. All the classics although not the

"So give me my Lycoming
4 pots 2 mags and a fan
If the prop stops
Glide at 75kts
And don't..............................."

Emergency drills particularly good.:ok:

H-D
4th Jun 2007, 15:57
Just wondering if my girlie versions of some of the popular songs survived. Those that know me, will remember I was never one for being quiet! I wrote an UGSAS Girlie Song sang to the St Trinians Theme also The Durex factory and a few others. So wish I could be there on the 4th.

Big Sand
4th Jun 2007, 18:07
Hi guys,
Perhaps I can chip in here. I have the full text to 'The Bulldog Song' and will have it with me on the 4th for general distribution. I also committed to paper another olde favourite of mine - ' The Doggies Party'. I gave a copy of 'The Doggies Party' to a US Navy intel officer (I know - contradiction in terms, but this guy was solid gold. Ex college footballer from Texas and could hold his Gschneiders - of which I gave him many. Sadly, Ducky Fuzz was too much for him and he failed to grasp the irony and therefore grasped even more fines.............) for a Trafalgar night he was attending in London. He has now returned Stateside and I have promised to mail what remains of his liver back to him. ;)

Are there any survivors of the early 80's UGSAS Summer camps to St Mawgan and Woodvale out there?. We made contact with another UGSAS QFI from those days - TW. He is alive and well.

All the best

Big Sand

betty swallox
5th Jun 2007, 09:24
Big Sand...please tell me TW is coming...he sent me solo, way back in '85, at Machrihanish...I kinda remember the night in the mess!
I guess you didn't mean the San Mawgaan Camp in '89. The nurses parties were legendary. Allegedly.

Big Sand
5th Jun 2007, 12:49
BS,
Thanks for the note. Both myself and another 47 entry old lagg tracked TW down recently. I think he's now driving left seat for FlyBe out of Southampton, we had an email from him not so long ago. Why don't I give him a heads-up about the 4th?. :rolleyes:

On that first solo at Machrihanish you weren't flying XX611?. If so, I saw her at the start of April 07 during a fly-in at Shoreham for the 40th Ann. of the Beagle. Yellow and White spinner is not Black & White though.

I recon if you were there in 85 then our paths may just have crossed? I dare say JC, TW,BL and ?? (I remember the nickname but not the correct initials) were still instructing then?

Are you in touch with any other lads from the early 80's? 45 to 48entry?

betty swallox
5th Jun 2007, 13:41
Aye. It was 611! Check yor PMs!

WeegyOne
7th Jun 2007, 16:02
Chaps (and some esses as well I guess!)

We are now officially FULL! All the slots available for the 4th August have now been filled and we are jam packed with a colossal 100 members attending. All I need is for those of you who haven't supplied Angela with an email address (invites will be emailed closer to the time) please contact her on

[email protected]

The event is a simple one: 100 ex-Sqn members at THQ for a number of beers. Stories, songs and memories are all welcome. Further details will follow with the invite.

Don't despair if you haven't got your name down as we are likely to do the same next year. Also, as I have mentioned above, I am keen to establish an UGSAS Association so keep sending your details to Angela and we will endevour to keep you up-to-date with Sqn antics.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
7th Jun 2007, 22:42
weegy,
hope that the re-union all goes well. I'm not sure that I would want to be in your shoes - now that the 100 ex members are going to be running around the trouser tree!
aw ar best onyway,
Duncs:ok:

Sand - does the XR3i have seats now - or are you still sitting on a box?

Bigsexycol
8th Jun 2007, 17:33
Phoned Angela and got a ticket. Should be an epic night. Anyone remember the Dinner at the Central Hotel about 91/92/93 (getting old ,drink has messed with the brain) could be another night like that.:bored:

Big Sand
8th Jun 2007, 20:50
Hi Dunc D'S
Thanks for the nod regarding those XR3i seats. If you remember that fateful night you may also remember a certain TW's knock on the flat door at 09.00hrs the next morning?. No, it wasn't Earnie the Milkman but none other than TW. Dressed in his No.2s with S1D cap he pronounced "Ah, Jafres. Boss wants to see you and Sand at Park Circus"! Remember that one?!

We had turned the Ante room at THQ into a 25m swiming pool the previous night and forgotten to drain it; JC was less than chuffed?!! Walking into JC's office he was grouting heavily on those Craven A's and said those immortal words " By rights " Big Sand (real name removed for legal reasons) I should Chop you!" Not only had I had my old man's motor stolen, trashed the mess and had the Mother of all hangovers but now I was going to hand in my flying suit?!! "Lucky white heather........get your lucky white heather............." But............................................. Not so fast sport's fans. The Bull**** machine just kicked in................... and I cheated the hang-man. A week later I was sipping a finely prepared Gschneider at RAF Machrihanish on Easter camp. All sins forgiven.

As for the XR3i, well it got refurbished - Which is more than I can say for my liver. How goes it 'Doug and disorderley'........what are you up to these days mate?

Big Sand

Duncan D'Sorderlee
9th Jun 2007, 11:14
Big Sand,

You'd probably best ask Betty what I do - she's likely to give a more accurate description!

I'd best not mention it on this illustrious forum - at least for another couple of months.

I look forward to recounting drunken nights in Park Circus and on Byres Road.

Dunc:ok:

Big Sand
22nd Jun 2007, 21:27
Hi Dunc DS,
Betty has kindly 'enlightened' me as to your true identity! Don't worry mate your secret ID is safe and I look forward to buying you a 'yellow one' on the 4th! :ok:

I can confirm that I will be attending with a few others that survived those 'Chiz Burgers' at the flying element. You may remember a certain QFI who flew XX611 and had a Moto Guzzi motorcycle - yes he will also be in attendence as will another two of his 'better students' from 47 entry.

Should be a good night.:ouch:

All the best

Big Sand.

PPRuNeUser0178
30th Sep 2007, 22:44
I Was UGSAS in the early 90's and heard about said reuinion and would have loved to been there but was alas working.

How did it go? Any news on the association?

ED

CarltonBrowne the FO
30th Sep 2007, 23:51
It was a good night- great to see some old friends there, and to make some new ones. The 4th QFI in the days of JC, TW and BL was JK- end of story, sunshine!