PDA

View Full Version : Missing a trick?

WE Branch Fanatic
9th May 2007, 15:27
The 2004 cuts included the loss of four infantry battalions from the front line strength of the Army. The Army managed to reduce this cut to three by designating 1 PARA as dedicated to supporting Special Forces, and they became the nucleus of the SFSG. I am wondering if they same could have been attempted with RN or RAF assets, after all the reductions in force levels to all three Services must mean that there are less forces to support SF operations.

I seem to remember Jackonicko stating that the Jaguar was the CAS platform of choice for SF operations. Assuming that was true, then could a Jaguar squadron have been labelled as being for SF operations to evade the axe?

What about some helicopters? Or Hercules? Could HMS Spartan (decommissioned in March 2006) have been kept in service until the first Astute enters service to maintain a capability for submarine launch of Swimmer Delivery Vehicles?

On a slightly different note, is the need to dedicate forces to support SF operations as well as the conventional front line taken into account when deciding force levels? It would be inappropriate to go into specifics but if special forces need infantry support, what about aviation and naval support? What if we find ourselves in the situation where SAS/SBS effectiveness is reduced due to lack of helicopters to get them where they need to go? Or transport aircraft? Or ships for Naval Gunfire Support? Or only ordering seven Astutes instead of eight (which itself was a cut from SDR levels)

The 2004 Defence Review promised to increase funding for Special Forces, but with cutbacks and overstretch in the supporting units of all three Services.....

airborne_artist
9th May 2007, 15:30
What if we find ourselves in the situation where SAS/SBS effectiveness is reduced due to lack of helicopters to get them where they need to go? Like the Chinook Mk3? :E

wokkameister
9th May 2007, 17:44
Chortle, Chortle.

vecvechookattack
9th May 2007, 22:05
From where I sit in sunny Kernow we are definately NOT cutting back any support to SF. Indeed the support to SF is ramping up V Fast.

Seldomfitforpurpose
10th May 2007, 05:40
I have it on good authority that at the secret wiltshire airbase the platform change is well under way so the support for SF will be increasing rather than decreasing :ok: