PDA

View Full Version : You want me to test fly what...?

Nige321
9th May 2007, 10:48
Here... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPA2k3qPe-4)

One for the Darwin awards??

N:eek:

maxeemum
9th May 2007, 11:23
Now I know who stole my brush cutter.....

Love the fuel cell parked abeam the RHS of Test pilots head...

"Practice"...Failure of one of the rotor systems (Dizzy drill go!)

:D

scooter boy
9th May 2007, 11:39
Just don't wave to the crowd unless you want to lose a finger or 5! :E
SB

Envoy604
9th May 2007, 12:41
Auto would be fun....Flare.....Initial....?

Teefor Gage
9th May 2007, 13:02
Is it just me, but does this contraption only get into the air due to the strength of the "pilots" legs? The limited height it attains seems to be proportional to the amount of "shove" he uses.

It looks more like a glorified pogo stick!!

airborne_artist
9th May 2007, 13:05
TG - seems it's nearly at the lift/weight equilibrium, so if Pilot Pete lays off the pies, he might make some height.

Alternatively he could dump something ... :E

Mike Oxmels
9th May 2007, 13:40
That fella needs to get some translational lift or get on the anorexia diet..

topendtorque
9th May 2007, 13:45
There y'go nigelh,

if yer hadda had that strapped to yer noggin fer 35,000 hours like yer reckon yer had one day, well you'd be deaf ~ and mad.
how lucky you are:bored:

time for another beer and rum chaser mate.

MrEdd
9th May 2007, 14:42
That was the bigges cyclic i have ever seen.
It flew as well as a dead horse as, but great for bounching around the landscape like tigger in winnie d puh.....

Lord Mount
9th May 2007, 16:30
Even the skydiver in the background (who has just landed after jumping out of a serviceable aircraft) is thinking "Jees, and these people call us crazy".

LM

Perro Rojo
9th May 2007, 17:58
This gives a whole new meaning to rigid rotor. I didn't see a swash plate in there anywhere (so no collective pitch control for an autorotation). I'd say the rotors are fixed pitch and that lift is controlled by RPM. Lateral motion looks to be controlled by manually tilting the rotors with the landing gear poles.

Very scary!!!

HELOFAN
11th May 2007, 13:50
I love toys like this , it makes us think and wonder !! :D
Sure I dont want my head an inch from a mixmaster but some PPL do & good for them ....YAY I say YAY.
go for it , fly it , take to the sky's how ever you can I say !:ok:
Why do some of us cry & carry on like children when we see something WE dont like , who cares about your opinion...REALLY !!:{
The guy just needed a lower density altitude , Or a little less Gross and he was flying around all of us wowsers saying " Weeeeeeeeee " a few times as he laps us over head LOL.:cool:
:oh:
Shut it some and let the guy do what he wants , we carry on about the fun
police disagreeing with our enjoyments , flying a helicopter or what ever &
yet I am willing to bet a whole nights bar tab that this guy has stopped at
LEAST 1 time and thought to himself that, yes there are some awefully
damned fast bamix blender blades very close to the box that contains my
thoughts and though it's a bad thing if my box gets into those blades whilst
they are set to Frappe` , I say DAMN THE WOWSERS & I am going to fly it
anyway !
Weeeeeeeeee Weeeeeeeeeeeee ee ee eeeeeeeeeeeee ahhh
haaaaaa haaaaaaaaa aaaa wooooooooooooo " !!!
Something like this anyway:E
HF
Onyer old fella, I'll buy you a beer some day...I wonder who you are?:ok: :ok:
Maybe an old test pilot for some neat goverment dept , or heli manufacturer, or maybe an old war pilot seen a heap of crap in his time , enough crap that he thought screw the risks , I am just gonna fly my machine my way !!! Damn the Wowsers !!, OR maybe he is just some crazy old guy that stole someones brush cutter & found a few old blades & cut them down to size & srapped them together with back pack and a fuel tank for a reference point !

I AM HELOFAN & with the powers of rotorary aviation vested in me by the old and wise, I close my eyes & and with a shake of my magic wand , I utter these words "Wowsers be gone " !!
:mad:
Damn all the idiots (oops sorry Wowsers) are still here.
Good for him and well done !!

Teefor Gage
11th May 2007, 14:19
And your point is????

Whatever you've been taking this morning, methinks you'd best not fly until the effect has worn off........

However, reading between your lines, maybe you are trying to say "Each to their own!" But why use 4 words when a few hundred will suffice........?
:O

HELOFAN
11th May 2007, 14:27
Actually I quit smoking 2 days go...does it show?

Yes ciggerettes , not the other stuff , cant quit something you dont do LOL.

Actually cut out all the "INES" this week, Nicotine, Caffine, & Taurine.... that stuff is in energy drinks ( so no more of those for a while...actually did you know its also in cat food...that cant be good for one of us.... not that I have a cat...I dont just useless fact # 7563 I know.....

I thought the words I chose were far more colourful & almost story like , slightly poetic yet going somewhere ??
If nothing else funny??!!

I liked the comment from Airbourne Artist LOL .. ahh I can see it now !!

:uhoh:

Ahh well.

slowrotor
11th May 2007, 15:03
I agree with Helofan. This thing flies and that is quite an achievement for a human.

If he stays near the ground and flies slow it could be relatively safe. Plenty of uses for such a device. Looks like he was learning to fly it. Could he teach himself to fly in a R22 as well? I dont think so.

Dave_Jackson
11th May 2007, 18:21
Quote about above 'helicopter', by Cita

"This video clip was taken at an airfield at 4000ft hence the problem to get in the air.
I saw this helicopter flying last month in Wels,Austria (300 ft) and he didn't had any problem getting out of groundeffect!

Mr. Schöffman is the designer/builder/pilot and it's probably the simplest helicopter I've ever seen.
Due to the bad weather the flight lasted only a couple of minutes."

Cita's coaxial backpack, which is currently being build.

http://www.unicopter.com/Temporary/Cita.jpg

http://www.unicopter.com/Temporary/CitaToo.jpg

by Cita

Codger
12th May 2007, 19:37
I'd give it a go. Looks like fun. Little more power and you'd be able to get up to tree top heights.

Graviman
14th May 2007, 11:42
Dave,

I take it the rotors both gimbol on the same head? I'm did wonder about a perspex screen to ensure tired arms couldn't stretch too far. Couldn't see means of pitch control so is it self AOA reflex sections, relying on RRPM? How does pilot flare in auto?

PS Workload a bit high right now, so PPRuNe on back burner... :uhoh:

Mart

rotorboater
14th May 2007, 14:08
From the photos above, it looks like the new one is a twin, will this allow it to fly IFR over London!:)

Dave_Jackson
14th May 2007, 18:17
Mart,

Re Cita;
It appears that the rotor assembly is gimbaled to the 'fuselage'. However, it also appears that the cyclic control is by weight shifting and the gimbal exists so that the weight of the 'fuselage' shifts with the weight of the pilot.

Re Schoffman;
Here is a picture of the backpack craft, which shows it's details. The rotor-blades are Ivo Props largest propellers.

http://www.unicopter.com/Temporary/Schoffman.jpg

Those interested in 'backpack rotorcraft' can go to an unnamed [rotary xx:mad:xx forum] and do a search on [Cita].
Heliport ~ as per your instructions no forum has been mentioned ;)

Dave

Graviman
14th May 2007, 21:12
Hmmm, fixed pitch and one donk asking for trouble, Dave. Idea of personal flying machine is a nice dream though, and i admire the guy for building it. There are enough variable pitch props out there for a safer mark II. With such a low inertia you would need self auto collective, since no pilot could respond fast enough. Not much energy in rotor system for flare either.

Mart

HELOFAN
14th May 2007, 21:43
Being a weight shift craft................

:hmm:
I figure unless you have fantastic abs , your attitude hold for the auto entry is gonna last you about 5-10 secs.... thats about the max your gonna be able to hold that attitude for the Auto before your stomach muscles pop and you start decending vertically , lets not get into the flare part of the Auto..... :E

I wonder what it would be like to do a 0 speed auto (vertical) decent in the beast.... I dare say that thats all the machine is gonna be able to offer you in an Auto....bugger that being the test pilot for, better me over alot of fluffy pillows on a super absorbant gel.... with a parachute & a multi point harness with a 1 touch guarantee release system.

Thinking more into it , I dont think it would really Auto... though I think the rotors will hold up fine, they just wont hold you up well.. hmm unless there was a good clutch system that drops the pitch on the rotors at the same time... hmm..

:confused:

HF

Heli-kiwi
14th May 2007, 21:50
Of all the various small contra rotating helicopters out there not one of them has the capability to autorotate. The Airscooter which was on 60 minutes is a neat little machine but is also height restricted.
Have a look at a Kamov rotorhead and you'll see how much of that engineering is associated with the collective..... All of it.
I say Hats off to the guy for putting in a huge amount of time and research into his project and then going all the way with it and displaying it as a flying machine.

Graviman
15th May 2007, 11:41
Helofan, weight shift would be like microlight. In practice you are altering the rotor direction. A teetering machine with hub tilt effectively has a built in cyclic mechanism, but this rigid rotor will loose the servo effect.

Normally the gyro forces on the rotor lead to pitch/roll velocity control, after everything has settled down. This effect will not be present on this machine, since counterrotating gyros effectively cancel. This means this machine will be more "twitchy", since it is subject to acceleration roll / pitch control.

Mart

Dave_Jackson
15th May 2007, 18:18
Heli-kiwi,

Here is a very small Kamov coaxial.
http://www.UniCopter.com/1009.html

Dave

Graviman
15th May 2007, 19:13
Interesting thought:

A helicopter in autorotation has approx the same sink rate as a parachute of same diam carrying the same load. If fixed trim tabs, were used with free feathering blades to hold constant AOA, then landing would be no worse than not flaring a round parachute. This has to hurt a lot less than falling uncontrollably with a stalled rotor. No need for pilot to respond either - which is good since the design aim is normally 2 seconds from hover to rotor losing enough Nr to rotor stall.

I imagine controlled flight flaring would rely on engine power in this type of machine. Howabout a simple govenor type flywheel? Pilot/lunatic simply pulls a string, which retracts flywheel weights to increase Nr, to flare. Good practice would get him doing this every flight.

Simple and above all safe.

Mart

HELOFAN
15th May 2007, 21:33
:)
Graviman - Pilot/lunatic simply pulls a string, which retracts flywheel weights to increase Nr, to flare. Good practice would get him doing this every flight.

I love it, Now If I can just get that on my head set or something like that !!

HF

Graviman
16th May 2007, 11:46
Ah well Helofan, you would also need a nut to centre the cyclic. ;)

Forgot to mention the need to consider flywheel eigenmodes too, IFMU. :ok:

Mart