PDA

View Full Version : stand alone SKYPE phones at the airport?

D.B.er
9th May 2007, 09:07
Has anyone any experience of those SKYPE phones that work without a pc? I wondered if we can use them at the airport on PCCWs free wireless internet. Might be useful for us KA guys who have to spend lots of time between flights, at starbucks. However they are quite pricey to try on spec (up to HK$1800) hence the question.
Regards
D.B.er

FL245
9th May 2007, 09:40
umm PPCW signal at airport is not the fastest, think you might struggle to have a voice conversation on it

9th May 2007, 16:22
Try a PDA with a BT Headset, that will do the job for less money.:ok:

Busbert
10th May 2007, 06:34
I have not tried the PCCW free connection at the airport.
Generally if it is an open network, the skype phones will work. If you have to go to a browser page and click something or put in a password to activate the network (even if it is FOC) the phone will not work.

alohajec
10th May 2007, 07:23
Yes the PCCW wireless internet at the airport is free but you DO have to open up an acknowledgement page in your browser and click the "I AGREE" to activate it as busb mentioned.

Aloha.

flat-tire
11th May 2007, 08:35
Hello,

I use a HTC 3600 with a windows based operating system. Download Skype mobile and use it on your phone with a Wi-Fi connection. It seems to work fine on most networks. Slight lag with communication but it is free.

D.B.er
12th May 2007, 06:10
Thanks for all the info. Sounds like PDA and heatset might be a good option. Does PCCW wirless work all over the airport, or only at that PCCW workstation near gate 25
D.B.er

gliderboy
12th May 2007, 10:40
I can get it to work at Starbucks no probs.
For some reason no joy at Wildfire (what? I was having a Pizza on a 3 hour transit!)
Gliderboy:p