PDA

View Full Version : Recommended best scanning/OCR doftware?

Wiley
9th May 2007, 07:55
Can anyone recommend what they consider the best (or at lesast a good) scanning/OCR software available at the moment?

I've used Pagis 3 with Textbridge embedded in it for some years now with few problems, but my new computer setup really doesn't like Pagis, for since installing it, although it works, I've been having all sorts of niggling problems like 'not responding' and failure to save after doing the OCR.

planecrazy.eu
9th May 2007, 08:05
Well i use Omnipage. I had a free (le) edition with my Canon scanner, and then i got the complete package. Not so sure its the best, but i have not found any limatations with it yet.

I use it to scan in Articles i want to keep from magazines, and i scan all my college work in with it, all 100% accurate.

There is one problem i have found, which can be got around...

If you dont set areas and other parameters, if there is "background" text in an image or the likes, it does ocr on that too.

Spitoon
9th May 2007, 18:12
Strangely enough Acrobat does a pretty good job of capturing scans and recognising text - and keeps the original available in case the OCR'd text doesn't make sense.