PDA

View Full Version : Sim Instructor Shortage?

CMOTDibler
9th May 2007, 07:38
Any truth to the rumour that some part-time -400 instructors have quit because CX will no longer issue them with upgradable tickets? Rumour was that CX has decided that they will only give them economy tickets to travel between Oz and HK. These tickets used to be upgradable to business if seats available. Now Cannot! As a result these gents have supposedly said they 'Cannot' be ar%ed making the trip anymore.

If it is true, coming hard on the heels of those that left to go to Oasis, are the -400 conversion courses about to grind to a halt?

As an aside, can anybody see any reason why anybody would volunteer to become a sim instrutor as per the latest NTC. No extra money for more work at invariably crappy hours?

badairsucker
9th May 2007, 08:31
It sure sounds like this company is causing itself some real problems, how long before they start parking up all our new aircraft?

Bring on the pay rise.:D

pfd99
9th May 2007, 08:36
Guys have been quitting for a while and not just on 400 fleet. More guys to follow as well due to various reasons not just ticketing. All fleets are short and when a/c arrive will get worse i presume!!!

moosp
9th May 2007, 13:34
Don't know if anyone has resigned over the change to travel allowances, but Corporate Medical have had a good look at sim instructors and discovered that they cost more medically than pilots or general office staff, so have a plan to reduce the medical benefits. This may make some SI's go to greener pastures.

For years CX and other airlines have benefitted and used the capabilities of pilots who have lost their licences due medical reasons, and yet still wanted to be involved with the airlines. However, "market forces" (don't you love that phrase now it has come back to haunt that very ex DFO?) are showing that the very moderate remuneration and conditions offered by CX for the wealth of experience and marketablility of sim instructors will not keep them in the company.

The new "Instructor for a week" deal has nothing of benefit to a line pilot. I cannot understand the motivation of a pilot who would volunteer for this. I fear that the only volunteers will be exactly the wrong people who should be training these new inductees.

badairsucker
9th May 2007, 15:05
What next??

I mean, letters from the management asking us all to fly the freighters (not enough frieghter pilots), then asking for part time sim instructors (not enough sim instructors)!!!

I can always help out the girls with their service during the cruise, or give the plane a quick scrub during the walkround.:ok:

Shot Nancy
9th May 2007, 23:12
how long before they start parking up all our new aircraft?

I know they are not brand new but aren't 4 744s parked at XMN waiting. Waiting to be test flown, waiting for crews etc.

pfd99
10th May 2007, 01:29
The medical package was not wonderful before so if they reduce it again it will not be a lot!! Heard yesterday more people have resigned and others going soon!!! I cannot see how they can keep up with the training.

CMOTDibler
10th May 2007, 03:47
BadAir, you're right, they seem to be asking us to volunteer to fill all manner of new positions. Funny though, there have been no requests for part-time management positions! I guess there's no shortage there, must have better renumeration packages!

I guess then, that regardless of whether the SI's are leaving due to the ticketing or other reasons we have at least confirmed that they are walking. The second half of this year is shaping up as a rather exciting one!

CYRILJGROOVE
10th May 2007, 06:08
Its True, 3 Excellent Sim Instructors Not Coming Back In Cattle Class.......now More Sim Time And Valuable Remaining Instuctors Time To Train Up New Chaps, But I Guess That Is Another Departments Budget So Who Cares!!

Pretty Silly Really

Pollution IV
10th May 2007, 07:01
Amazing that the Co is unwilling to maintain established benefits for these key people. Considering that CX has been advertising for Airbus sim instructors for >2yrs now, how can it be justified?

The shortsighted managers who sign-off on these changes either have no understanding of the importance of these roles in maintaining safety standards and thus profitability, or simply have complete disrespect for the sharp end of the business. Either way it's unacceptable...why are they never held accountable for these disgraceful decisions? :confused:

hostile23
10th May 2007, 10:03
You all sound surprised this is happening. What do you expect? You work for the biggest bunch of shafting w@nkers in the business!:ugh: THose waiting for a pay rise have got a while to wait as well. It's a sinking ship guys. Get out while you have a life left.

HotDog
11th May 2007, 03:15
Give it a break hostile. Just pack up and leave, you sound like a cracked record!:yuk:

Mr. Bloggs
11th May 2007, 03:40
And the treatment of staff by CX is …………………..not a cracked record?

FlexibleResponse
16th May 2007, 12:46
From memory I think the ad said about $68,000 per month wage, 13th month and about $50,000 for housing. But nothing about getting royally screwed by staff travel?

pfd99
17th May 2007, 03:38
About right for the money, slightly less for housing i think but could be new contract. Profit share as well HoHo!! And gratuity for three years service depending on your deal and don't forget the provident fund hoho again!!! But check the MEDICAL coverage for you and your family. Good luck to you all.

pfd99

Whenwe
17th May 2007, 06:41
This advert for Sim Instructors has been with Flight International for some time and it seems like a permamnent advert until end of this year.

There was also an advert in our local press and I was wondering, as I have experience on the B747 classic that is probably where I could help out, if ..........

Can anyone enlighten me on how much it would cost to feed the missus and I per month. Also the housing allowance means nothing to me? What does that amount allow one to live in. What would be an average deduction as a percentage of gross?

Would appreciate a little advice. Thanks.

Mr. Bloggs
17th May 2007, 07:30
Don’t know what the pay/benefits are like but I can only assume it is better than CX. Maybe CX realised they were paying too much for instructors and bringing it inline with Alteon.:eek:

http://http://www.alteontraining.com/about/jobdetails.aspx?id=464

VR-HFX
17th May 2007, 11:22
Flexi..

If those are the terms and people are smart and arrange there own private travel insurance for medical...half the guys on the silver bullets will be applying.

As there's no money in freight, it would be logical to park them all!

Whenwe...

Thought Dave had already packed the Classic sim for re-location to his garden shed in Sth Oz!

In reality the company really has to have a macro re-think as the A scalers run down to close to double digit. The total pilot fraternity needs to be put in a shed and work out a single COS. Noone comes out until it is settled.

Apart from that...I'm outa here.

Good luck.