PDA

View Full Version : Malaysia Flying

Justiciar
9th May 2007, 06:10
I am going to Kuala Lumpa in a few weeks. Has anyone any experience of flying over in Malaysia and if so what are the licence requirements? I know weather wise the afternoons have some intense but short thunderstorms which are probably best avoided!

waldopepper42
9th May 2007, 09:40
Dunno about licence requirements for solo hire, but I flew (C172) with the Royal Selangor Flying Club (http://www.rsfc.com.my/) from Simpang Airport, right in the suburbs of KL.

Spectacular views overhead KL, flying between the Petronas and Menara towers at 1200' :eek: :eek: and very friendly and helpful staff.

I flew left hand seat with an instructor from the club, but he was quite happy to let me do all the flying, and volunteered to accompany me on trips to the surrounding islands (Pangkor for instance - a couple of hrs. flying away and an idyllic coral island). Unfortunatley I did not have time to take him up on the offer :{

Great part of the world - but yes, watch out for those afternoon thunderstorms. They can be SPECTACULAR.

And best viewed from the local bar over a glass of Tiger beer!

Sultan Ismail
10th May 2007, 05:46
Welcome to Kuala Lumpur

The greatest flying experience in the World, particularly the right hand Base onto 22 which takes you between the Petronas Twin Towers and the KL Tower at considerably less than 1200', and all strictly (il)legal.

Very pleased that Waldo enjoyed his experience of Royal Selangor Flying Club, it is getting more social and interestingly active with a Club House BBQ by the Ladies this Saturday afternoon and regular Night Flying sorties around those Twin Towers.

Early June the Club will camp out in the Taman Negara, Malaysia's World Heritage National Park, just 55 minutes from Simpang airfield in the centre of KL. Before landing a low pass is required to check for and chase away the usual residents, water buffalo.

The trip to Pangkor is 1h15 chocks to chocks and a perfect candidate for the $100 hamburger, been there done that, many times.

Local licensing requires a minimum of 5 hours checkout and Air Law. All flying in Malaysia is under ATC and a good idea too if you see the terrain. It is a hard fact that 10 minutes after takeoff from Simpang you can go into the jungle and it will take the local search parties 4 days to locate you.

Justiciar, send a PM when you're about to come here, we'll make you welcome.

Justiciar
10th May 2007, 06:28
Thank you, Sultan Ismail.

Is there anything a visitor can get to read up on the local Air Law?

Sultan Ismail
13th May 2007, 23:59
Justiciar

Malaysian Air Law is based closely on the UK CAA syllabus, with a couple of changes for local conditions.

The one which is always highlighted in notes being the Transition Altitude over East Malaysia (Borneo). Spend a few hours reading the notes when you get here and a chat with an instructor should see you through.

The 5 hours checkout mentioned earlier include a dual and a solo X-country to Malacca.