PDA

View Full Version : Super Scanner

cavortingcheetah
7th May 2007, 15:23
:)

Not terribly literate in this department and having searched, and not found, here goes...

One has approximately 2,000 pages of photo album narrative stuff to transfer to disc or DVD. The page size is (13x15)ins or approximately (33x38)mm.
One could buy an Epson10000XL Pro at about £1800 or a Mustek P3600 at about £400.
Have had an Epson scanner years ago, pretty useless, never heard of Mustek.
Also have several thousand old colour slides which would now like to transfer to disc or DVD. But already have standard size HP scanner so could probably use this?
Any idea or recommendations for machines or methods to accomplish these missions would be gratefully received.
Many thanks. cc

Bushfiva
8th May 2007, 01:18
Mustek is the world's largest scanner manufacturer. Some models have a built in transparency adapter, but I don't know if there are A3 models that have the adapter. The P3600 doesn't, I think.

As you probably realise, to scan slides you need to shine light through them, not bounce light off them, so your HP would need a transparency adapter.

You might want to consider renting a slide scanner with bulk slide feed: doing slides one at a time will be slooooooow.

I use Hamrick's Vuescan, which understands various negative and positive emulsion characteristics, so can do good colour correction/recovery.

cavortingcheetah
8th May 2007, 04:35
:hmm:

Many thanks for that information. It makes the Mustek the obvious choice over the Epson. Point taken about the transparency adapter and thank you; one would not have thought of that.:ugh: :)

Loose rivets
8th May 2007, 04:39
I have talked about photographing a good screen in the past...the speed would obviously outstrip anything that a scanner could do. The trouble is, that my kit is still in the UK and my attempts here have been not so good. I did get some good MRI film onto jpeg with a Nikon D50, these came out really quite well. Scanning was taking about 10 mins per slice, I took the entire plate in 1/1000 of a second. Obviously the rewards a huge when it works.

My lifetime collection of 8mm was projected onto a 12x10 screen of 2 optical glass plates...with wax squashed in between. It was very, very good, but I did have pro camera equipment to film with.

We all know just how good slides are and I'm convinced that good shots can be made with a screen, but I have yet to prove it. Has anyone got their old 35mm projector at hand?

Bushfiva
8th May 2007, 05:07
That reminds me, many moons ago I had a slide duplicator attachment for my camera which worked quite well.

For the slides, I still think a method as close as possible to "getting someone else to do it" is the way. I'm scanning my old film, been at it off and on for about 5 years now and worn out two scanners.

Background Noise
8th May 2007, 06:09
I've just bought a Plustek Opticfilm 7200 fro scanning slides - it was just over £100 new from Amazon but available elsewhere. Easy to use, scans 4 slides at time and so far good quality.

BusyB
8th May 2007, 15:05
Recently bought a Canon Pixma 810 multi function scanner/copier/printer which is v. good, Does 4 slides at a time. Approx £160 on the internet.
I was tempted by a dedicated scanner as was recommended elsewhere on this forum :ok: but school requirements and lack of space led to this. Also good quality photoprints.:ok:

green granite
9th May 2007, 07:31
There is this on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CANON-CANOSCAN-9900F-PRO-TRANSPARENCY-PHOTO-SCANNER_W0QQitemZ150120046868QQihZ005QQcategoryZ44976QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

NRU74
4th Jun 2007, 18:16
I've got a Canon FB 610 Scanner which worked perfectly on Windows 98 but it appears unusable/incompatible with XP
Before I throw it in the skip does anyone have any ideas how I can get a driver to instal it ? [Yes I've tried Google without success]

hobie
4th Jun 2007, 19:29
I've got a Canon FB 610 Scanner which worked perfectly on Windows 98 but it appears unusable/incompatible with XP
Before I throw it in the skip does anyone have any ideas how I can get a driver to instal it ? [Yes I've tried Google without success]

Have a look at this Google (if it's the same Google result just ignore :cool:) .... I have to run .... A Panorama prog. on Nimrod to be watched ....

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=Canon+FB610+Scanner++%2B+window+xp&spell=1

vapilot2004
5th Jun 2007, 00:03

NRU, have a look at Canon-Europe here (http://software.canon-europe.com/) and drill down to the driver download page for your machine.

Choose the Windows 2000 drivers (90% of these work with XP).

Create a restore point in case things get fouled up (Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > System Restore).

Look in your System Devices list and delete any Canon Scanners listed or unknown devices that match your scanner.

Disconnect the scanner data cable.

Install the driver - if XP gives a hardware message - choose continue.

Power up and connect your scanner - you may need to direct the driver installer to the Win 2000 section of wherever the downloaded Canon software extracted your files to and repeat the install process.

Good Luck!