PDA

View Full Version : Multiple displays

Gonzo
6th May 2007, 14:34
Hi guys.

I've just set up two monitors to give me an expanded desktop, which is all very nice.

However, whenever a programme opens up a dialogue box, it's by default in the 'centre' of the desktop, which means half the box is on the left monitor, and half is on the right monitor.

For example, I've got Firefox open on the left, as I'm writing this, and iTunes open on the right, along with a sidebar. I just deleted a podcast from iTunes, and the 'delete' box opened across both displays.:ugh:

Anyone know how I can force them to open 'on top' of the programme that's generating them?

Bob Lenahan
6th May 2007, 15:47
Been a long time since I used multi-monitors, but just as a check, in your setup did you specifically identify the main monitor with the primary video card connection and the secondary monitor with the secondary?
In the monitor dialog box each monitor should be positioned exactly as you have them on your desk, eg side by side or top and bottem.

Gonzo
6th May 2007, 16:17
Hi Bob, thanks for replying, sorted out now. When I first connected the 2nd monitor I had options to either 'span' or 'mirror' the desktop, but upon restarting again I could choose from a third, 'dual view'.

Gonzo
6th May 2007, 16:46
Now I just need to work out how to get a 2560x1024 pic as the desktop background. It seems to squash it up and place two copies, one on each monitor.

Mac the Knife
6th May 2007, 18:29
Set it to "Tile" and off you go.

Lots of good free dual (or triple) wallpaper out on Google.

Digital Blasphemy - http://www.digitalblasphemy.com/ - is Ryan Bliss's site and has tons of gorgeous dual and single WP, created by himself. Well worth the small fee.

I've had dual monitors for yonks - can't imagine going back to a single now.

Looks even better in Linux ;)

Gonzo
6th May 2007, 18:37
That's odd, when I first tried 'tile' it didn't put it across both, yet it does now.....Hmm.

When Silent Hunter 3 and Nikon Capture NX both boot in Linux, I'll gladly swap!:cool: