PDA

View Full Version : DirectX / Graphics Card issues

gearontheglide
6th May 2007, 13:07
Over the last couple of months, Junior Glide has bought/downloaded and installed some games. Specifically: World of Warcraft, Counter Strike and Delta Force. They all load and register ok but we have problems with all 3 when we try to run them. The latest, World of Warcraft, came up with a mesage that it could not start up 3D acceleration and to check that we had Directx9.0c and up to date video drivers installed. This I have done but with no success. What more can I do? I had a quick PPrune search and followed previous posts regarding updating drivers but am still stuck.
I have a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX400 card with the latest driver dated 22/10/06. I also have the latest DirectX 9.0 installed (checked today). I ran the DirectX diagnostic tool on windows and when I tested the 3D acceleration it came up with the following:

"Test failed at step 8(creating 3D device): HRESULT = 0x8877602eb (error code)" :confused:

Any / all help gratefully accepted because I now have an even more than normally stroppy and sullen teenage son to deal with !!!

thanks in advance

gear

PS, I have just noticed that all my windows 3D screen savers are not available. I did have major Trojan Horse issues and had a major clean up session after Junior Glidette downloaded a dodgy file some 6 months ago. Might they be related?

Parapunter
7th May 2007, 07:53
Uninstall the grapics card completely, including all drivers & Software (remember to use onboard graphics port after this so you can actually see what you're doing) and then put it all back on again including all updates from MS. DX is unusually reliable for Microsoft so my educated guess is a corruption in the card or its software.

If that doesn't work then you may need to have a deeper look at the system - I have used windows debugger bery succesfully in the past (Google for windbgr which is a free download from Microsoft) but you will need to do some reading before you use it. Otherwise it's avg updates, system restores & various other nuclear options, but I would bet on the card and it's drivers/software.

spannersatcx
7th May 2007, 08:56
Get a new graphics card that one is pretty old and not very powerful.

gearontheglide
7th May 2007, 12:16
Thanks guys, I was leaning to the 'de' then total 're' install option but I had a look at what was available now (my system is 5 years old - a lifetime in PC development terms) and realised that most games are far above what my card can handle. Unfortunately it seems that my power supply / motherboard is not able to handle even the lower end of the cards on the available market so I guess that leaves another question..................

How do I persuade C in C Home Command (aka Mrs Glide) that I need a new machine for gaming?????? :E