PDA

View Full Version : Excel query

kishna
6th May 2007, 07:40
If I import a list into excel, for example a list of fruit, is it possible to automatically exclude certain elements of a column whilst keeping some of the others. Eg if I want to delete the rows that have bananas & mangoes in column A, can I then keep the rows that have kumquats & tangerines also i column A?

All Ahead Full
8th May 2007, 11:15
Use the data text to columns from the menu bat, this will spilt text into rows, based on a delimited (common character) which will should achieve the desired result.

AAF

MB27
8th May 2007, 20:48
Hi there, yeah I would recommend just importing the data, then sorting the rows and deleting the ones not needed.

Although I presume you are looking for a method to automatically do this? Please advise. That would be possible, but you would need to copy the data into a file that was set up to ignore the desired rows. A few formulas would be needed there..

kishna
9th May 2007, 12:12
Thanks. Basically I'm trying to import my roster data but exlude non essential entries which occur occasionally & just leave in the days off & essential duties. I realise that one of the options is to just manually delete the rubbish, but an automatic system would be much preferable

Parapunter
9th May 2007, 13:17
Probably the simplest way is to use an 'if' formula - import the data & then use if to exclude any data from the list that matches the query - if row/column = whatever,1,false.

BTW that isn't the syntax you need! I've typed out a very rough idea of how it looks, but excel would cringe at that - You'll have to do a little reading up in excel but it works well enough.

Another option is to use autofilter. If the unwanted data is always the same value or if you can append say, a letter to the unwanted data in the next row - for example n for no, then you can use autofilter to exclude any entry in a list that contains that value. This is more constricted & less flexible, but it is another way to do it.

kishna
9th May 2007, 13:42
very useful, thanks for the help